open-tran and new project

Jan Trochta

Oct 21, 2009, 5:49:46 AM10/21/09
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I would like to ask you some questions about posibillity of open-tran and online localization.
In our project ( http://grass.osgeo.org/ ) we yould like to have an on-line translation of .po files on web and looking for some tool.
and My questions are is open-tran usable for this job? can be open-tran be linked with transifex ( http://www.transifex.net/ )?
so thats for the start.
Thank in advance
Jan Trochta

Jacek Śliwerski

Oct 21, 2009, 1:02:00 PM10/21/09
to j.tr...@gmail.com, open...@googlegroups.com
Jan Trochta pisze:
> Hi all,

> In our project ( http://grass.osgeo.org/ ) we yould like to have an
> on-line translation of .po files on web and looking for some tool.
> and My questions are is open-tran usable for this job? can be open-tran
> be linked with transifex ( http://www.transifex.net/ )?
> so thats for the start.

As far as I can tell, Transifex is a platform for managing localization
projects. But the translation needs to be performed with other tools.
Some of them (e.g. Virtaal [1] or GTranslator [2]) support Open-Tran.

I hope that it helps you, but should you have any other questions, let
us know and we'll try to help.

Cheers!
Jacek

[1] http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/virtaal/index
[2] http://gtranslator.sourceforge.net/

Alexander Dupuy

Oct 21, 2009, 1:52:11 PM10/21/09
to open...@googlegroups.com, j.tr...@gmail.com
Hi Jan,

You asked:

> I would like to ask you some questions about posibillity of open-tran
> and online localization.
> In our project ( http://grass.osgeo.org/ ) we yould like to have an
> on-line translation of .po files on web and looking for some tool.
> and My questions are is open-tran usable for this job? can be
> open-tran be linked with transifex ( http://www.transifex.net/ )?

As Jacek replied, Transifex is a tool for managing localization - it
provides a common interface to various source code revision control
systems, e.g. CVS, git, etc. and a way for translators to
download/upload .po files. As such, it may be useful for what you want,
but you need to use an off-line tool to perform the actual translation -
either a translation tool like Virtaal or even just a text editor.
Open-Tran is an on-line tool to help translators with terminology but
doesn't provide any facilities for actually performing translation - it
is used for example by Virtaal to provide automatic suggestions while
translating.

For actual on-line translation, where translators perform the
translation through a web interface, I would recommend Pootle
[http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/index and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pootle] - note that it would require you to
provide a hosting location for your Pootle website. Another possibility
would be to use the Launchpad translation tools (also known as Rosetta)
[https://launchpad.net/rosetta and https://translations.launchpad.net/]
- these are designed for localizing software maintained in Launchpad but
you can create a "translation-only" project that just contains the
messages you want to localize.

There's a good breakdown of the pros and cons of Pootle and Rosetta at
http://www.mail-archive.com/translat...@lists.sourceforge.net/msg02400.html
or
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=4AC6D54C.7040008%40treenet.co.nz
- and there is one other online translation tool (about which I know
pretty much nothing): Narro (http://code.google.com/p/narro/ and
http://narro-project.blogspot.com/) - if you explore this tool in any
detail please let us know how it compares to the other two, and if you
find any other on-line translation tools besides these two, also let us
know.

@alex

--
mailto:alex....@mac.com

Jan Trochta

Oct 26, 2009, 12:18:36 PM10/26/09
to alex....@mac.com, sli...@googlemail.com, open...@googlegroups.com
HI,
thanks for your replies. it helps me a lot.
now I am testing pootle and narro (I dont heard about it before).
My prewious idea was to bind transifex for managing translations and
some kind of online translation program like pootle. This would be an
automatic proces but non-supervised, only by login to the system.
thanks
Jan Trochta