Error building OLA on Ubuntu

p3k

Sep 14, 2010, 9:05:29 AM9/14/10
to open-lighting
Hello

I am trying to build OLA on an Ubuntu machine. After installing two
missing devevlopment libraries (libprotobuf-dev and libcppunit-dev)
using aptitude I could successfully ./configure.

However, when executing make I got the following error:

Rpc.pb.cc: In copy constructor 'ola::rpc::RpcMessage::RpcMessage(const
ola::rpc::RpcMessage&)':
Rpc.pb.cc:143: error: base class 'class google::protobuf::Message'
should be explicitly initialized in the copy constructor
make[4]: *** [Rpc.pb.lo] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/tobi/Desktop/ola-0.8.1/common/rpc'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/tobi/Desktop/ola-0.8.1/common/rpc'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/tobi/Desktop/ola-0.8.1/common'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tobi/Desktop/ola-0.8.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Is this a bug in the OLA code or did I install the wrong protobuf
library?

Please let me know if you need additional information about my setup.

Ciao,
Tobi

Simon Newton

Sep 14, 2010, 12:24:18 PM9/14/10
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
See the thread "Issue 9 in boblight: OLA support" from 2 days ago.

> --
> open-l...@googlegroups.com  /  http://groups.google.com/group/open-lighting

p3k

Sep 15, 2010, 11:02:46 AM9/15/10
to open-lighting
Oh, that was easy.
:)

After I removed the -Werror from common.mk I was able to build and
install OLA.

Then I tried to build the ola-examples package to get ola-dmxconsole
but got another issue, probably similar to the -Werror one, please see
below.

What do I have to do to prevent “warnings being treates as errors”, as
stated in the log output?

Best,
tobi

--

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -Wall -Werror -I/usr/local/include/
libola -g -O2 -MT ola-dmxconsole.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/ola-
dmxconsole.Tpo -c -o ola-dmxconsole.o ola-dmxconsole.cpp
cc1plus: warnings being treated as errors
ola-dmxconsole.cpp: In function ‘void mask()’:
ola-dmxconsole.cpp:150: error: value computed is not used
ola-dmxconsole.cpp:156: error: value computed is not used
ola-dmxconsole.cpp: In function ‘void values()’:
ola-dmxconsole.cpp:184: error: value computed is not used
ola-dmxconsole.cpp:188: error: value computed is not used
ola-dmxconsole.cpp:190: error: value computed is not used
ola-dmxconsole.cpp:194: error: value computed is not used
ola-dmxconsole.cpp:197: error: value computed is not used
ola-dmxconsole.cpp:202: error: value computed is not used
ola-dmxconsole.cpp:205: error: value computed is not used
ola-dmxconsole.cpp:208: error: value computed is not used
ola-dmxconsole.cpp:215: error: value computed is not used
ola-dmxconsole.cpp:225: error: value computed is not used
ola-dmxconsole.cpp:226: error: value computed is not used
ola-dmxconsole.cpp:227: error: value computed is not used
make[2]: *** [ola-dmxconsole.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/tobi/Desktop/ola-examples-0.8.0/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tobi/Desktop/ola-examples-0.8.0'

Simon Newton

Sep 15, 2010, 11:32:53 AM9/15/10
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 8:02 AM, p3k <inte...@p3k.org> wrote:
> Oh, that was easy.
> :)
>
> After I removed the -Werror from common.mk I was able to build and
> install OLA.
>
> Then I tried to build the ola-examples package to get ola-dmxconsole
> but got another issue, probably similar to the -Werror one, please see
> below.
>
> What do I have to do to prevent “warnings being treates as errors”, as
> stated in the log output?

Edit src/Makefile.am and remove -Werror. Then run autoreconfig &&
./configure again

p3k

Sep 15, 2010, 11:40:41 AM9/15/10
to open-lighting
Great, I did a grep for -Werror and got more than one occurrence but
was not sure which one to remove.

Anyway, that did the trick. Thank you!

Now how do I use ola_dmxconsole? When I just enter the command in the
shell I get an error:

$ ola_dmxmonitor -u 1
error: Connection refused

Do I first have to setup my machine as Art-Net node or the like? How
would I send Art-Net data to a certain IP address?

Cheers,
tobi

Simon Newton

Sep 15, 2010, 11:44:04 AM9/15/10
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 8:40 AM, p3k <inte...@p3k.org> wrote:
> Great, I did a grep for -Werror and got more than one occurrence but
> was not sure which one to remove.
>
> Anyway, that did the trick. Thank you!
>
> Now how do I use ola_dmxconsole? When I just enter the command in the
> shell I get an error:
>
> $ ola_dmxmonitor -u 1
> error: Connection refused

You need to have olad running and then patch a port. See
http://opendmx.net/index.php/Using_OLA

> Do I first have to setup my machine as Art-Net node or the like? How
> would I send Art-Net data to a certain IP address?
>
> Cheers,
> tobi

p3k

Sep 15, 2010, 11:54:33 AM9/15/10
to open-lighting
Okay, when I run olad I get debugging output, some of it look like
errors. (See below.)

(How) do I have to create the /dev/dmx0 device?

What about the /dev/ttyUSB0 device?

Ciao,
tobi

--

$ olad -l 3
OlaServer.cpp:205: Server UID is 7a70:7400a8c0
PluginManager.cpp:74: Trying to start ArtNet
DeviceManager.cpp:110: Installed device: ArtNet (192.168.0.116):2-1
PluginManager.cpp:78: Started ArtNet
Preferences.cpp:302: Missing ola-dummy.conf: No such file or directory
- this isn't an error, we'll just use the defaults
PluginManager.cpp:74: Trying to start Dummy
DeviceManager.cpp:110: Installed device: Dummy Device:1-1
PluginManager.cpp:78: Started Dummy
PluginManager.cpp:74: Trying to start E1.31 (sACN)
DeviceManager.cpp:110: Installed device: E1.31 (DMX over ACN) Device:
11-1
PluginManager.cpp:78: Started E1.31 (sACN)
PluginManager.cpp:74: Trying to start ESP Net
DeviceManager.cpp:110: Installed device: ESP Net Device:4-1
PluginManager.cpp:78: Started ESP Net
PluginManager.cpp:74: Trying to start Enttec Open DMX
OpenDmxPlugin.cpp:78: Could not open /dev/dmx0 No such file or
directory
PluginManager.cpp:78: Started Enttec Open DMX
PluginManager.cpp:74: Trying to start SandNet
DeviceManager.cpp:110: Installed device: SandNet Device:7-1
PluginManager.cpp:78: Started SandNet
PluginManager.cpp:74: Trying to start ShowNet
DeviceManager.cpp:110: Installed device: ShowNet Device:3-1
PluginManager.cpp:78: Started ShowNet
PluginManager.cpp:74: Trying to start StageProfi
StageProfiDevice.cpp:79: StageProfiPlugin: failed to connect to /dev/
ttyUSB0
PluginManager.cpp:78: Started StageProfi
PluginManager.cpp:74: Trying to start Enttec USB Pro
PluginManager.cpp:78: Started Enttec USB Pro
PluginManager.cpp:74: Trying to start Pathport
DeviceManager.cpp:110: Installed device: Pathport Device:9-1
PluginManager.cpp:78: Started Pathport

On Sep 15, 5:44 pm, Simon Newton <nomi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 8:40 AM, p3k <interf...@p3k.org> wrote:
> > Great, I did a grep for -Werror and got more than one occurrence but
> > was not sure which one to remove.
>
> > Anyway, that did the trick. Thank you!
>
> > Now how do I use ola_dmxconsole? When I just enter the command in the
> > shell I get an error:
>
> > $ ola_dmxmonitor -u 1
> > error: Connection refused
>
> You need to have olad running and then patch a port. Seehttp://opendmx.net/index.php/Using_OLA

Simon Newton

Sep 15, 2010, 11:59:36 AM9/15/10
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 8:54 AM, p3k <inte...@p3k.org> wrote:
> Okay, when I run olad I get debugging output, some of it look like
> errors. (See below.)
>
> (How) do I have to create the /dev/dmx0 device?
>
> What about the /dev/ttyUSB0 device?

If you don't have any USB -> DMX devices you can ignore those.

p3k

Sep 16, 2010, 4:28:45 AM9/16/10
to open-lighting
Good to know.
:)

So ola_dmxconsole and ola_dmxmonitor are up and running now.

And now I see polls and data coming in on the iPad (but that’s the
other thread :)

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers,
Tobi

Rowan Maclachlan

Sep 16, 2010, 5:30:28 AM9/16/10
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Cool! So what are you making? An Ios artnet viewer?

Sent from my iPhone :)

p3k

Sep 16, 2010, 5:43:10 AM9/16/10
to open-lighting
> Cool! So what are you making? An Ios artnet viewer?

Well, kind of. A viewer in regard of the iPad showing the mixed RGB
color of three channels.

So, all the device should do for now is acting like a huge pixel.
Approx. 16 of them then will be integrated in a bigger installation of
“real” lighting hardware controlled by corresponding proprietary
software which also sends the Art-Net data.

At least that is the plan.
:)

The installation is part of the Media Architecture Biennale 2010
taking place in Vienna, Austria, starting on October 7, 2010.

http://www.mediaarchitecture.org/biennale

Maybe you are interested to come over for a visit?

Best regards,

Tobi