[RFC] manage qla4xxx iscsi sessions with iscsiadm

Mike Christie

Jan 20, 2009, 4:19:53 PM1/20/09
to open-iscsi, David Somayajulu
Hey Dave,

In the qla4xxx branch of the iscsi git tree I added code so that
iscsiadm can control sessions that are accessed through qla4xxx.

The patches are here:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mnc/linux-2.6-iscsi.git;a=commit;h=f95246f8e84a12267e3c9e811a94004f598ef285
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mnc/linux-2.6-iscsi.git;a=commit;h=ea4d8306487fca1b601a2ef69a85951b19843382
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mnc/linux-2.6-iscsi.git;a=commit;h=4320dc0e234368620b40c155d571e8c46b814216
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mnc/linux-2.6-iscsi.git;a=commit;h=76ed2193986e9910fd695c881ae1cb08e35feb1c

I was not sure what I was doing exactly :) since I was going by the
qlogic.com driver ioctl code, so if you could take a look at
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mnc/linux-2.6-iscsi.git;a=commit;h=ea4d8306487fca1b601a2ef69a85951b19843382
and check if I am interacting with the hardware correctly it would be
nice. Specifically I am worried about qla4xxx_session_logout_ddb and
qla4xxx_session_login_ddb.

If you want to run this then you also need the userspace patch that is
attached. It should apply to the open-iscsi git head.

To start remove the persistent targets in your FLASH since we will use
the iscsd db instead (note that for boot and root you can have targets
in flash and the drivers/firmware auto login will work but you just
cannot use iscsiadm to login/logout).

To run login/logout then just build the code, modprobe qla4xxx and start
iscsid. Then you need to do discovery

./iscsiadm -m iface -P 3

will display the different ifaces like this:

Iface: iface0
Iface Name: iface0
Iface Transport: qla4xxx
Iface Initiatorname: unknown
Iface IPaddress: unknown
Iface HWaddress: 00:c0:dd:08:63:e8
Iface Netdev: unknown
Host Number: 20 State: running
Iface: iface1
Iface Name: iface1
Iface Transport: qla4xxx
Iface Initiatorname: unknown
Iface IPaddress: unknown
Iface HWaddress: 00:c0:dd:08:63:ea
Iface Netdev: unknown
Host Number: 21 State: running

For this I am going to use the one with mac 00:c0:dd:08:63:e8 (iface0)

./iscsiadm -m discovery -t st -p max -I iface0 -P 1
Target: iqn.2001-04.com.max.1
Portal: 20.15.0.4:3260,1
Iface Name: iface0
Target: iqn.2001-04.com.max.2
Portal: 20.15.0.4:3260,1
Iface Name: iface0
Target: iqn.2001-04.com.max.3
Portal: 20.15.0.4:3260,1
Iface Name: iface0

Then I will log in:

./iscsiadm -m node -T iqn.2001-04.com.max.3 -l

(you can also pass in the portal if you have multiple portals on a
target and only want to log into one).

You should then see a error or a login ok message.

You can then do

./iscsiadm -m session -P 3

to see some values (I also added code to be able to set the segment
limtis and max r2ts (does qla4xxx firmware support more than 1 btw.

And then to logout do

./iscsiadm -m node T iqn.2001-04.com.max.3 -u

and you should get a error or a ok message.

Note that you cannot control sessions that are the persistent in the
firmware/flash. So if you have targets in FLASH then the iscsiadm logout
and login commands are not supported. qla4xxx will still log into them
and find disks so that boot and / work, but you cannot login/logout with
iscsiadm (you actually can if you have targets setup in FLASH, then load
the module, then start iscsid, but that is by accident).

Some questions on qlogic hardware:

- How do you set CHAP settings for each target?

- How do you set Data/Header digests settings?

- Currently for iscsiadm -m disocvery .... you need a seperate NIC. It
does not go through the card. Is there a way to ask the card to do
sendtargets and then just have it tell us what targets were found (I do
not want the card to login).

Can I just send a discovery session login pdu and sendtargets command in
a passthrough interface, and then get back raw pdus?

iscsiadm-manage-qla4xxx-login4.patch

David Somayajulu

Jan 20, 2009, 4:50:06 PM1/20/09
to Mike Christie, open-iscsi
Mike Christie wrote:
Thanks Mike. I will take review and get back.
-david S.