How to getting started ?

Minoru Sasaki

Nov 3, 2005, 4:40:14 AM11/3/05
to open-...@googlegroups.com
Howdy folks,

I'm really new for iSCSI things. But, I'm trying to install Open-iSCSI
software on my Linux machine.
It seems to succeed to install, but the deamon seems to start
unsuccessfully.

My configuration is following.
OS : Fedora Core 2
Kernel : 2.6.12
open iSCSI : open-iscsi-0.4-434

Problem is following.
The "iscsid" seems to wake up. But, "iscsiadm" gives warning.
The warning is like this.

[root@localhost usr]# ./iscsiadm
iscsiadm: can not connect to iSCSI daemon!
iscsiadm: exiting due to configuration error

However, I can find iscsid working by the following command.

[root@localhost usr]# ps -aux | grep iscsid
Warning: bad syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
root 3697 0.0 0.2 2492 628 pts/1 S 18:37 0:00 ./iscsid
root 3700 0.0 0.2 3660 572 pts/1 R 18:37 0:00 grep iscsid

So, are there someone who can help me? I might be asking very essential
things, but please forgive me.

Thank you for your help,

Minoru

Albert Pauw

Nov 3, 2005, 7:55:47 AM11/3/05
to open-iscsi

No problem, we all had to start somewhere. Try to install the latest
development version. I made a little instruction here:
http://groups.google.com/group/open-iscsi/browse_thread/thread/b41946cf4a8a35a9/d18aaf2122c3c21a#d18aaf2122c3c21a

Good luck,

Albert

P.S. The development version has an install instruction in the
Makefile:

make install

Minoru Sasaki

Nov 3, 2005, 8:31:31 AM11/3/05
to open-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Albert,

Thank you so much for your help!
The instruction which you told me seems to be very helpful.
Now, I'll try again and let you know the result.
Thanks again,

Minoru

Lisa Hsu

Nov 3, 2005, 11:41:05 AM11/3/05
to open-...@googlegroups.com
Also, I found it very helpful to run the daemon with these args

iscsid -d8 -f &

this gives debugging output and can allow you to figure out why your daemon may be exiting.  from what i found, you can get an error that causes your daemon to "exit" such that iscsiadm cannot connect to it, but it doesn't actually end the process so you will still see it in ps.

lisa

Minoru Sasaki

Nov 4, 2005, 9:16:20 AM11/4/05
to open-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your help.
Yes, your information helped a lot too.
I tried to execute the following command. And the result is the
following.
The deamon seems to be looking for something in
/sys/class/iscsi_transport. Do I need to do some thing special for this?
My best regards,

Minoru

[root@localhost usr]# ./iscsid -d8 -f &
[1] 3833
[root@localhost usr]# iscsid: IPC socket is listening...
iscsid: in ctldev_open
iscsid: created NETLINK_ISCSI socket...
iscsid: InitiatorName=iqn.1986-03.com.hp:hpfcs214.2000853943
iscsid: InitiatorAlias=spyalley.nsa.gov
iscsid: InitiatorName=iqn.1986-03.com.hp:hpfcs214.2000853943
iscsid: InitiatorAlias=spyalley.nsa.gov
iscsid: version 0.3 variant (22-Apr-2005)
iscsid: in ktrans_list
iscsid: Could not scan /sys/class/iscsi_transport.
iscsid: failed to get transport list, exiting...

Lisa Hsu

Nov 4, 2005, 10:31:10 AM11/4/05
to open-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Minoru,

Does your system support sysfs?  It's 2.6.12 so it should...look in your /sys directory and see if it's empty.  if it's empty, you don't have your sysfs file system running correctly.  it probably just didn't get init-ed.  on my system (FC4) it's in the rc.sysinit that does it.

you could always try doing mount -f none /sysfs to temporarily fix the problem, but that won't solve the fact that it's not doing it when you start your system.

Lisa