Scribd: EduPunk repository?

kerim

Jul 17, 2009, 9:46:24 AM7/17/09
to Open Access Anthropology
EduPunk, as I understand it, refers to scholars who, frustrated by the
inferior tools offered by their universities, have embraced free
online (i.e. "web 2.0") social tools as a substitute. I'm planning on
writing a blog post about the possibilities of such an approach for
the Open Access movement in anthropology and I'd like your feedback.

One of the big problems we seem to have advocating self-archiving is
that Mana’o <http://manao.manoa.hawaii.edu/> has not been quite what
we thought it would be: a central repository for all anthropologists
to use who don't have access to other repositories or hosting options.
As has been pointed out, it has been offline all summer. Presumably
this will be fixed when Alex Golub gets back from his fieldwork, but
the larger point remains: we need more options. So what are they?

What about using something like Scribd or Google Docs instead? Harvard
UP has just begun selling 1000s of books via Scribd, using it as a
digital publishing platform, including a few free titles as well. NYU
and MIT Press are using it as well (although in different ways):

http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2009/07/the-future-of-scholarship-harvard-goes-digital-with-scribd.ars

So, would it make sense to use Google Docs, Scribd, and other services
as a substitute for institutional archives? We are also seeing a wiki-
based repository being set up on the Open Anthropology Co-op:

http://anthcoop.wikidot.com/publications

It seems that we loose a lot by not having proper metadata entered by
a trained librarian, as is the case with Mana'o. But we gain by the
ease of use and the possibility of having many more people use the
service. If it is all in Google, is that enough? How to make sure it
is in Google Scholar and other academic indexes as well?

And what about the legal issues? Open Access legal statements seem
focused on personal websites and institutional repositories. There
doesn't seem to be language for something like Scribd, Google Docs, or
WikiDot... How should we interpret this?

What other questions might there be for undertaking a EduPunk approach
to self-archiving?

I appreciate everyone's input on this issue, and hope to incorporate
it into my blog post.

Thank you!

Kerim
____________________________________
P. Kerim Friedman, Ph.D.
Department of Indigenous Cultures
College of Indigenous Studies
National DongHwa University, TAIWAN
Tel: +886-3-863-5795
http://kerim.oxus.net/
____________________________________

Christopher Kelty

Jul 17, 2009, 12:58:40 PM7/17/09
to oxu...@gmail.com, Open Access Anthropology
just a quick question to further complicate things... what is the eduPunk approach to archival persistence?  How would these tools allow for permanent findability and a certain sense that one can be sure it will stay available for a long time?  DOI numbers require an institutional home... COiNs data are easy to add to a blog post... Zotero can find things with this data... so maybe part of the blog post should be best practices for eduPunk future-proofing...

ck

Paul Wren

Jul 17, 2009, 11:38:22 AM7/17/09
to Open Access Anthropology
Kerim,

You've done a good job of identifying many of the questions that need
answering. I did some research on Google's site, and there is an
established process for getting Google Scholar to index your archived
works. I plan on submitting the OAC repository, once there is a
larger number of people self-archiving there.

Regarding Mana'o, since it is not up at the moment, I'm not sure if
you meant that it is an example of having properly entered meta data,
or of NOT having it. Could you clarify?

Paul Wren

On Jul 17, 6:46 am, kerim <oxus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> EduPunk, as I understand it, refers to scholars who, frustrated by the
> inferior tools offered by their universities, have embraced free
> online (i.e. "web 2.0") social tools as a substitute. I'm planning on
> writing a blog post about the possibilities of such an approach for
> the Open Access movement in anthropology and I'd like your feedback.
>
> One of the big problems we seem to have advocating self-archiving is
> that Mana’o <http://manao.manoa.hawaii.edu/> has not been quite what
> we thought it would be: a central repository for all anthropologists
> to use who don't have access to other repositories or hosting options.
> As has been pointed out, it has been offline all summer. Presumably
> this will be fixed when Alex Golub gets back from his fieldwork, but
> the larger point remains: we need more options. So what are they?
>
> What about using something like Scribd or Google Docs instead? Harvard
> UP has just begun selling 1000s of books via Scribd, using it as a
> digital publishing platform, including a few free titles as well. NYU
> and MIT Press are using it as well (although in different ways):
>
> http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2009/07/the-future-of-scholarship-h...

John Russell

Jul 17, 2009, 2:40:44 PM7/17/09
to open-access-...@googlegroups.com

Since Mana'o has come up a few times recently, I'll share what I know:

Mana'o has been run off of a computer in Alex Golub's office and he hasn't had the time to maintain the tech side of things. Consequently, Mana'o is down permanently. I would be happy to work with anyone who would like to revive the repository and I think Alex would be happy to see the repository have a new home. Ideally, someone would approach the institutional repository/digital projects folks at their university and convince them to host the repository (I think Indiana might be open to the discussion, but I don't know the situation there as well as I used to). The other option on the horizon is to put a lot of energy into SSRN. They want to expand into more disciplines and would be happy to have a few anthropologists sign on as editors to move things forward. If you are interested, I believe the contact person is still Gregg Gordon ( Gregg_...@ssrn.com ).

Best,

John Russell
(the Mana'o Librarian)

Jason Baird Jackson

Jul 17, 2009, 2:55:19 PM7/17/09
to Open Access Anthropology
It is sad that Mana'o is probably not sustainable as is, but it worked
as a proof-of-concept effort showing that it can be done at a
technical level and that there is a user community.

I cannot speak for the Indiana University Bloomington libraries, but I
am involved in exploring similar questions and projects with my
colleagues at the IUB libraries. We hope that the work we are trying
to do will be of long term value to the community, but we probably are
not going to be able to bite off the whole of international
anthropology (subject repository-wise). There is a (for us) logical
chunk that we may be able to do in the hopes that others will be able
to do other parts and the sum can be searched and aggregated at a
higher level, as in OAIster (http://www.oaister.org/) or an
anthropology/folklore/ethnology/ethnography(etc.)-specific analog.

For those in anthropology whose work is oriented toward policy
questions, there is the Policy Archive, which seems very robust.--
https://www.policyarchive.org/

Best wishes to everyone who has been working on these questions,
especially Rex who showed with Mana'o what an anthropology subject
repository would look like.

Jason

On Jul 17, 2:40 pm, John Russell <aeoluspr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Since Mana'o has come up a few times recently, I'll share what I know:
>
> Mana'o has been run off of a computer in Alex Golub's office and he hasn't had the time to maintain the tech side of things. Consequently, Mana'o is down permanently. I would be happy to work with anyone who would like to revive the repository and I think Alex would be happy to see the repository have a new home. Ideally, someone would approach the institutional repository/digital projects folks at their university and convince them to host the repository (I think Indiana might be open to the discussion, but I don't know the situation there as well as I used to). The other option on the horizon is to put a lot of energy into SSRN. They want to expand into more disciplines and would be happy to have a few anthropologists sign on as editors to move things forward. If you are interested, I believe the contact person is still Gregg Gordon ( Gregg_Gor...@ssrn.com ).

o.w.

Aug 4, 2009, 3:37:03 PM8/4/09
to Open Access Anthropology
Hey everyone,

I could help setup a mirroring system for the archive, so that
multiple universities could help mirror the repository. (the more the
merrier). Mirroring doesn't take much work - and solves the flakky
server issue.

I'd be happy to setup the first Mana'o mirror - and I'll find out how
Concordia Universities self-archiving repository efforts are coming
along. It would probably help to have numerous academic institutions
involved in the project (by simply contributing mirror space), and
perhaps a more descriptive name.

Could have it all up in 2 weeks if I got the go ahead!

Let me know what i can do,
Owen.

On Jul 17, 2:55 pm, Jason Baird Jackson <jasonbairdjack...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> It is sad that Mana'o is probably not sustainable as is, but it worked
> as a proof-of-concept effort showing that it can be done at a
> technical level and that there is a user community.
>
> I cannot speak for the Indiana University Bloomington libraries, but I
> am involved in exploring similar questions and projects with my
> colleagues at the IUB libraries.  We hope that the work we are trying
> to do will be of long term value to the community, but we probably are
> not going to be able to bite off the whole of international
> anthropology (subject repository-wise).  There is a (for us) logical
> chunk that we may be able to do in the hopes that others will be able
> to do other parts and the sum can be searched and aggregated at a
> higher level, as in OAIster (http://www.oaister.org/) or an
> anthropology/folklore/ethnology/ethnography(etc.)-specific analog.
>
> For those in anthropology whose work is oriented toward policy
> questions, there is the Policy Archive, which seems very robust.--https://www.policyarchive.org/

Mike Smith

Aug 5, 2009, 10:41:44 PM8/5/09
to Open Access Anthropology
I have found that Academia.edu and Selected Works both do a good job
of posting papers. Its is easy to upload, and both turn up high on
Google Scholar searches. Selected Works is a bit more professional-
looking, and they provide a monthly count of downloads. Academic.edu
lets you know when someone has searched for something and found your
page via Google (they show you the search terms that were used). An
anonymous blogger did a quick comparison of these and some other
services and liked these 2:

http://faitattention.blogspot.com/2009/08/advantages-of-posting-your-papers.html

Mike

On Jul 17, 8:46 am, kerim <oxus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> EduPunk, as I understand it, refers to scholars who, frustrated by the
> inferior tools offered by their universities, have embraced free
> online (i.e. "web 2.0") social tools as a substitute. I'm planning on
> writing a blog post about the possibilities of such an approach for
> the Open Access movement in anthropology and I'd like your feedback.
>
> One of the big problems we seem to have advocating self-archiving is
> that Mana’o <http://manao.manoa.hawaii.edu/> has not been quite what
> we thought it would be: a central repository for all anthropologists
> to use who don't have access to other repositories or hosting options.
> As has been pointed out, it has been offline all summer. Presumably
> this will be fixed when Alex Golub gets back from his fieldwork, but
> the larger point remains: we need more options. So what are they?
>
> What about using something like Scribd or Google Docs instead? Harvard
> UP has just begun selling 1000s of books via Scribd, using it as a
> digital publishing platform, including a few free titles as well. NYU
> and MIT Press are using it as well (although in different ways):
>
> http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2009/07/the-future-of-scholarship-h...

Kerim Friedman

Aug 6, 2009, 1:45:42 AM8/6/09
to Open Access Anthropology
Mike,

Great, your blog post inspired me to finally post this to the OAA blog!

http://blog.openaccessanthropology.org/2009/08/06/edupunk-repositories/

Cheers,

Kerim