Fwd: [ANSS-L:10] FW: Excellent video: Web 2.0

Wade KOTTER

Feb 9, 2007, 9:19:50 AM2/9/07
to open-access-...@googlegroups.com
I think many of you will be interested in this video.

Wade

>>> On 2/9/2007 at 7:05 AM, in message
<4AA263AB78B5394A8277...@MAINLIB12.lib.msu.edu>,
"Nicholson,
Shawn" <nich...@mail.lib.msu.edu> wrote:
> Dear ANSSers,
>
> This Youtube video by a cultural anthropology prof at Kansas State
offers
> some interesting food for thought...
>
> Cited on L Lessig's blog
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gmP4nk0EOE&eurl=
>
> Regards,
> shawn

Michael Wesch

Feb 9, 2007, 9:36:05 AM2/9/07
to open-access-...@googlegroups.com
Regarding this video, I'm in this google group if you all have any
questions. It has been quite the experiment in open-access publishing (of a
somewhat unique sort or course). It actually was not designed to go viral.
It is a draft for a video I was working on for a special web-based edition
of Visual Anthropology Review. Now I'm re-writing the whole article to talk
about aspects of the webscape and web-publishing that were revealed to me by
tracking the video's journey through the very webscape it attempts to
describe. I keep trying to push the limits with it, so I recently uploaded
it to Mojiti where people can add their own subtitles and animations. It
has been fascinating to watch it develop. It has been transcribed and
translated into 4 languages already (just 8 days after it was published),
and one of the transcriptions inspired a fantastic poem by Kevin Hodgson:
http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dc5j36mc_28cn54gs&revision=_published

Several people are planning video responses and so things could get really
interesting soon. I even have a few of my own video responses floating
around in my head, but I don't have the full vision just yet.

Michael Wesch, PhD
Assistant Professor of Cultural Anthropology
Kansas State University
http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~mwesch
mwe...@ksu.edu

Alexandre Enkerli

Feb 10, 2007, 11:54:02 PM2/10/07
to open-access-...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

In terms of the groups involved, do you see a connection between Web
2.0 and the move toward Open Access?
Do you feel that because your video is being watched by a wide
diversity of people, its value in terms of academic discourse
decreases? (I expect the answer to be "no," given your membership in
this group. But who knows?)

Congratulations on that video!

--
Alexandre