First Peter! Psalm 119. Wycliffe Bible Translators

1 view

Mike - OYB

Nov 22, 2009, 6:25:28 PM11/22/09
to oneyea...@googlegroups.com
November 22, 2009

Psalm 119!

Hi everyone,

There are just six weeks left until you are finished with your One Year Bible journey in 2009! Well done! I encourage you to finish the race strong, as these next 6 weeks are in my opinion some of the best readings in the Bible. This week we wrap up James and begin both First Peter and one of my favorite Psalms – Psalm 119!

One Year Bible in 2010?  With 2010 just around the corner, I invite you to encourage your family, friends and church congregation to participate in the One Year Bible journey in 2010.  For those of you that would like church bulletin wording to encourage folks to participate with us in 2010, please see below.   You can also use this text below for an email to friends & family too.  Also feel free to use this text and to link from your church website over to http://www.OneYearBibleBlog.com if you’d like.

You are invited to read the entire Bible in 2010!
Have you ever read the Bible cover to cover?  2010 can be the year that you make this spiritual goal happen!  Our church encourages you to embark on the One Year Bible journey starting on January 1st 2010.  The One Year Bible allows you to read through the entire Bible in 2010 by reading just 15 minutes a day from the Old Testament, New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs.  It is a wonderfully easy daily habit that you can undertake in 2010!  To sign up, please go to this website:
www.OneYearBibleBlog.com .  You will then receive free weekly emails of commentary, encouragement and questions for reflection as you read through the entire Bible in 2010.  We hope you will take the One Year Bible journey in 2010!

Please join us in memorizing and meditating a verse of Scripture this week"Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." 1 Peter 5:8 NIV

Love Your Neighbor:
Will you take 5 minutes to explore Wycliffe Bible Translators website link at the bottom of this email today?

First Peter

Author
: Peter the apostle
Place: Uncertain, perhaps Rome
Date: A.D. 63 or 64
Content: The apostle Peter wrote this letter near the end of his life to comfort and encourage the Jewish Christians who were living in Asia Minor. He points out that suffering is part of the Christian life and that God has an imperishable reward reserved for those who trust him. In case any were thinking of returning to Judaism to escape from persecution, Peter points out that the church is now the chosen nation and the priesthood of God. Hence any thoughts of returning to Judaism were futile. Peter then presents the example of Christ who suffered and admonished the believers to be prepared for the same experience.
Theme: The theme of First Peter is triumph through suffering. Early Christians lived difficult lives, often paying for their faith with their lives, but this letter shows us that it is worth it, no matter what the price. God knows all that is occurring and in his eternal plan will work everything out for the best. (Above commentary is from Tyndale Publishers "The One Year Bible Companion” p. 32) A great overview of the book of First Peter and the other "Non-Pauline Epistles” by J. Hampton Keathley is at this link:
http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=3211 (scroll down just below his commentary on Hebrews & James to get to his commentary on First Peter)

Questions for Reflection

1. This week in Ezekiel chapter 44 verse 28 we read: "As to property, the priests will not have any, for I alone am their inheritance."  I like that!  God alone is the priests' inheritance.  What is our inheritance?  Is it property?  Is it things of this earth?  Or could our inheritance be God as well?  Should God be our inheritance?  How is God our inheritance?  If the Lord is not our inheritance, what then do we inherit?  The wind?  It's an age old debate as you'll see in the image above. Where do you stand?  Can we inherit eternal life through the grace of God and faith in Jesus?  Or do we simply inherit the wind?  (Nothingness) What does your heart tell you?  Most importantly, what does the Bible tell you?

2. This week in First Peter chapter 1 verse 15 we read: "But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy.”” Do you believe that God is holy? Do you believe that you are called to be holy? Is this a goal in your life – to be holy? What are some ways you can move forward on this goal of being holy? Have you moved forward in holiness in 2008? Will you continue to move forward in holiness in 2009? What are some specific areas of your life that God is calling you to holiness in during this coming year?

3. This week in Psalm 119 verse 11 we read: "I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.” Have you hidden God's word in your heart? So that you might not sin against God? Do you realize that all sin is indeed a sin against God? Are you memorizing Scripture on a regular basis? And, more importantly, reflecting on Scripture? Check out this link for some great free online resources to help you memorize Scripture - http://www.memoryverses.org/

4. This week in Psalm 119 verse 37 we read: "Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word.” Are there currently things in your life that you are spending time on – focusing your eyes on – that are worthless? What are these things? Do you want to turn your eyes away from these things? Will you? Do you believe that your life can be preserved by the Word of God – the Bible? How will you continue to preserve your life according to God's Word on a daily basis in 2009?

5. This week in Proverbs 28 verse 13 we read: "He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy.” Are their sins you are concealing? Maybe even from your own consciousness? Do you believe concealed sin will affect your prosperity? (Not just financial prosperity, but your spiritual, physical, & mental prosperity?) Can you find a trusted friend or pastor to confess your sins to? Do you believe that in doing so you will find mercy? Will you confess and renounce your sins? Will you find mercy?

Our Upcoming Scripture Readings

Wednesday, December 2
Daniel 9:1-11:1 ~ 1 John 2:18-3:6 ~ Psalm 121:1-8 ~ Proverbs 28:27-28

Saturday, December 5
Hosea 1:1-3:5 ~ 1 John 5:1-21 ~ Psalm 124:1-8 ~ Proverbs 29:5-8

One Year Bible Blog

Every day in 2009 and 2010, I will be posting up daily commentary, questions for reflection, and images on the One Year Bible Blog at: http://www.OneYearBibleBlog.com/ I encourage you to visit the blog each day in 2009. The blog will be the place for you to interact with our online community of 9,700 people in more than 67 countries around the world participating with us in our One Year Bible readings. Please do share your insights or reflections or questions by clicking on the "Comments" link at the bottom of each daily posting at: http://www.OneYearBibleBlog.com/

I am excited that there are 9,700+ of us on this journey together through the One Year Bible in 2009! Please contact me as any questions come up. Until next week's email!

p.s. If you would consider praying for this One Year Bible Blog ministry when you think of it, I would so greatly appreciate your prayers. Would you consider praying for this ministry on a regular basis? Maybe even once a week when you receive this email? This ministry will be in its 7th year in 2010. Your partnership of prayer in this ministry will help bring more people worldwide into the joy and transformation of heart that takes place by reading and studying God's Word every day. Thank you so very much for your prayers. I truly mean it - thank you.

Love Your Neighbor!

Wycliffe Bible Translators
is dedicated to seeing God's Word become accessible to all people in the language that speaks to their heart. In its 70-year history, Wycliffe has been involved in more than 600 translations, representing greater than 77 million people. More than 270 million people worldwide still need God's Word in their language. Without the technological developments of the past decade, and a renewed willingness to try new methods, this task would have likely taken more than a century to complete.

Wycliffe's mission is to see a Bible translation program in progress in every language still needing one by 2025. Vision 2025 is a vision for all of God's Church. It is not a program or campaign. It is a call to commitment. A call to action. We believe God is calling for a greater sense of urgency in translation work. We believe God is giving us a humanly impossible vision. But we also believe it can be realized, if we work under God's direction in worldwide partnership with others.

Today, will you consider supporting Wycliffe Bible Translators with your time, treasures and talents by exploring their website at: http://www.wycliffe.org/
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. . .

"Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"
Matthew 22:37-39