[ANN] OmniBrowser-based TestRunner

Dale Henrichs

Dec 29, 2008, 5:05:09 PM12/29/08
to omnibro...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I've just finished with an initial version of an OmniBrowser-based TestRunner. It has an MIT license.

I've pushed a package to the Universe (OmniBrowser-SUnit-GUI version 0.41) in the Development category.

The Universe package loads in Squeak, but Pharo users should just load the package (http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/obsunit/OB-SUnitGUI-dkh.41.mcz, or later). I'll be working on getting it running in GLASS shortly.

The Monticello project is on GemSource (http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/obsunit.html). If anyone would like to contribute code, register on GemSource and drop me a mail and I'll add you to the project. It depends upon SUnit, OmniBrowser, and OB-Morphic. At the moment it isn't pure OB:). I left in the progress notification (I don't think there is one in OB yet). I'll work on making it pure OB during my GemStone port.

Finally I leveraged David's work on OBPluggableListMorphOfMany (read copied), because I didn't want to be dependent upon OB-Enhancements in it's entirety. I departed from David's work with OSMultipleSelectionColumn, where I've got a multiple selection column implementation that is compatible with the needs TestRunner (i.e., multiple multi-select columns).

There are a couple of differences in the UI, but I've tried to be as faithful to the original as OmniBrowser would let me.

To launch the test runner, evaluate 'OSTestRunner open'.

Enjoy,

Dale

Lukas Renggli

Dec 29, 2008, 5:12:31 PM12/29/08
to omnibro...@googlegroups.com
Dale, this is extremely cool!

I loaded it into my Seaside 2.9 image and run all the tests. It works
out of the box. I will use it.

It would be cool if the commands on classes, categories and methods
from the normal browser would be available too ;-)

Cheers,
Lukas
--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Dale Henrichs

Dec 29, 2008, 5:24:00 PM12/29/08

----- "Lukas Renggli" <ren...@gmail.com> wrote:

| Dale, this is extremely cool!
|
| I loaded it into my Seaside 2.9 image and run all the tests. It works
| out of the box. I will use it.
|
| It would be cool if the commands on classes, categories and methods
| from the normal browser would be available too ;-)

Lukas,

OSTestRunner inherits from OBCodeBrowser (oops need to add OB-Standard to dependents list:) and the various nodes inherit from the standard category, class, and method nodes - should be relatively easy to enable the extra menus.

I wanted to start out as close to TestRunner as possible, to avoid 'menu shock'.

Dale

stef

Jan 1, 2009, 3:46:27 AM1/1/09
to OmniBrowser Development
Cool

Now may be it would be good to split OB-Enhancement so that you do not
have to copy the code of David?
How much effort would it be to get a better OBPluggableListMorphOfMany
that can work with your and david's need?
Then Lukas I always wanted to able able to browse a package and a
testClass from your browser, it would be good if we can
get that.
After I'm not sure that if an OB tools has less support than a normal
one it will get accepted.

Stef

On Dec 29 2008, 11:05 pm, Dale Henrichs <dale.henri...@gemstone.com>

Lukas Renggli

Jan 1, 2009, 4:28:55 AM1/1/09
to omnibro...@googlegroups.com
> Then Lukas I always wanted to able able to browse a package and a
> testClass from your browser, it would be good if we can
> get that.

It is already possible to browse the test class from the old
test-runner. There is a context menu in the class pane. The menus are
exactly the same in OB-TestRunner.

> After I'm not sure that if an OB tools has less support than a normal
> one it will get accepted.

I am using it. The OB tool has more support of course, because you get
all the standard actions for free. It probably wouldn't be that
useful, but a single method addition could display all the refactoring
tools in OB-TestRunner.

Cheers,
Lukas

stephane ducasse

Jan 1, 2009, 6:26:22 AM1/1/09

On Jan 1, 2009, at 10:28 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> Then Lukas I always wanted to able able to browse a package and a
>> testClass from your browser, it would be good if we can
>> get that.
>
> It is already possible to browse the test class from the old
> test-runner. There is a context menu in the class pane. The menus are
> exactly the same in OB-TestRunner.

Strange I could not find it in your SUnitGUI
and Alt +b did not work with me.

Dale Henrichs

Jan 1, 2009, 12:33:06 PM1/1/09

----- "stef" <stephane...@gmail.com> wrote:

| Cool
|
| Now may be it would be good to split OB-Enhancement so that you do
| not
| have to copy the code of David?
| How much effort would it be to get a better
| OBPluggableListMorphOfMany
| that can work with your and david's need?

| Then Lukas I always wanted to able able to browse a package and a
| testClass from your browser, it would be good if we can
| get that.

| After I'm not sure that if an OB tools has less support than a normal
| one it will get accepted.

Stef,

My version of OBPluggableListMorphOfMany is identical to David's, so it could be merged into the base OB-Morphic package. With two separate users, it's probably worth doing the merge.

If the test icons were also added to the base OB-Morphic package I would be able to completely eliminate the platform specific code in OB-SUnitGUI, which would be nice:)

Dale

David Röthlisberger

Jan 2, 2009, 10:28:15 AM1/2/09
to omnibro...@googlegroups.com

> My version of OBPluggableListMorphOfMany is identical to David's, so it could be merged into the base OB-Morphic package. With two separate users, it's probably worth doing the merge.
>
> If the test icons were also added to the base OB-Morphic package I would be able to completely eliminate the platform specific code in OB-SUnitGUI, which would be nice:)

excellent, so I will take care of these two points, ie. adding these classes, methods to
OB-Morphic.

David

Esteban Lorenzano

Jan 7, 2009, 7:15:30 AM1/7/09
to OmniBrowser Development
Very cool... I'm incorporating this to Mars, right now :)