Calculation of the Transmission Range In ieee 802.11g

Faranak Moayeri

Oct 12, 2011, 1:32:56 PM10/12/11
to omnetpp
Hello Everyone,

I want to calculate transmission range of wireless node in order to
find the best position for them.

based on previous posts :

http://groups.google.com/group/omnetpp/browse_thread/thread/c38f3bb37793f153/09959a2845bd2469?lnk=gst&q=how+to+calvulate+wireless+range#09959a2845bd2469

I found out its the related formula for calculating the received
power :

double SnrEval::calcRcvdPower(double pSend, double distance)
{
double speedOfLight = 300000000.0;
double waveLength = speedOfLight / carrierFrequency;
return (pSend * waveLength * waveLength / (16 * M_PI * M_PI *
pow(distance, pathLossAlpha)));
}

My question is what is pSend and M_PI and can we calculate the
distance ?

How can we calculate the transmission range?

Thank you in advance

Faranak Moayeri

Oct 13, 2011, 5:03:41 AM10/13/11
to omnetpp
double pSend; // Power with which this packet is transmitted

#ifndef M_PI

#define M_PI 3.14

#endif

Still i am confused, how can i calculate the transmission range
formula !!

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Oct 13, 2011, 6:42:56 AM10/13/11
to omn...@googlegroups.com
M_Pi is 3.1415926535897932384626433832
and pSend is the power in watts

Oct 13, 2011, 6:45:50 AM10/13/11
to omn...@googlegroups.com

You can find information about this in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-space_path_loss

Faranak Moayeri

Oct 13, 2011, 7:17:27 AM10/13/11
to omnetpp
Dear Alfonoso, THank you for your replay

Sorry i got confused.

you said in the previous post that

Atenuation(dB) = 20 log( d ) + 20 log ( f ) + 32.45

and The packet is received if

(Transmission power in dBm) - (Attenuation in dB) > (sensibility in
dBm)

you mean that first i have to find the Attenuation from the above
formula and then by putting it into the following formula , i can find
the distance

Atenuation(dB) = 20 log( d ) + 20 log ( f ) + 32.45

Am i right ? sorry for asking silly question :(

Best Regards,
Faranak

lalit kumar

Oct 13, 2011, 7:32:43 AM10/13/11
to omnetpp
hey plz tell me where i have to code to broadcast a message in mixim
example analog model

Faranak Moayeri

Oct 13, 2011, 8:26:17 AM10/13/11
to omnetpp
And another question is, can i calculate the distance by using this
formula from PathLossReceptionModel::calculateReceivedPower

REceived power = pSend * waveLength * waveLength / (16 * M_PI * M_PI *
pow(distance, pathLossAlpha));

I mean, instead of received power, i put sensitivity and them
calculate distance ?
Am i right ?

i know i can calculate wavelength like this

double waveLength = speedOfLight / carrierFrequency;

What is the unit of carrierFrequency and pSend and received power and
distance in the above formula ,

Thank you in advance

regards,

Faranak

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Oct 13, 2011, 12:50:21 PM10/13/11
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Yes, distance limit is when the received power is the same that the
sensibility.

Oct 13, 2011, 3:01:13 PM10/13/11
to omnetpp
Thank you dear Alfonoso for your reply,

My other question was What is the unit of carrierFrequency (Mhz or
HZ)and pSend (Mw or W or dBm )and received power and
distance (Km or M )in the following formula

REceived power = pSend * waveLength * waveLength / (16 * M_PI * M_PI
*
pow(distance, pathLossAlpha));

THank you for in advance ,

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Oct 14, 2011, 3:42:49 AM10/14/11
to omn...@googlegroups.com
In this expresion Hz, Watt, meters.

Oct 14, 2011, 4:10:04 AM10/14/11
to omnetpp
Thank you very much dear Alfonoso for your prompt reply .

And another question, sorry for bothering you by asking lots of
questions,

which of the aforementioned formulas is better for calculating
transmission distance ?

(Transmission power in dBm) - (Attenuation in dB) > (sensibility in
dBm)

Or

REceived power = pSend * waveLength * waveLength / (16 * M_PI * M_PI *
pow(distance, pathLossAlpha));

Thank you in advance

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Oct 14, 2011, 5:53:42 AM10/14/11
to omn...@googlegroups.com
for the computer the second, for human analisis, the first, it's easier

Oct 17, 2011, 4:21:28 AM10/17/11
to omnetpp
Dear Alfonoso,

You said the unit of pSend and received power is Watt,

Why in this command in PathLossReceptionMdel.cc in src/ linklayer /
radio directory we calculate the received power in mW ? if i
misunderstood please someone inform me ?

double mWValue = pSend * waveLength * waveLength / (16 * M_PI * M_PI *
pow(distance, pathLossAlpha));
double dBmValue = mW2dBm(mWValue);

Also, we define the pMax in channelcontrol.ned in mW?

double pMax @unit("mW") = default(20mW); // maximum sending power used
for this network (in mW)

I got confused please someone help me.

THank you in advance.

Faranak Moayeri

Oct 17, 2011, 4:23:58 AM10/17/11
to omnetpp
Thank You Dear Alfonoso,

I am very grateful to you if you answer another question .

Thank you in advacne

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Oct 17, 2011, 5:27:09 AM10/17/11
to omn...@googlegroups.com
pSend is the transmission power and must be equal or lower that pMax

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Oct 17, 2011, 5:47:58 AM10/17/11
to omn...@googlegroups.com
If you use mWatt the result is in mWatt, the unit is the watt the other are
submultiples.
Usually in communications the transmission power is measured in dBm and for
this reason the values are often offered in submultiples of Watt (in this
case mili Watt).

dBm = 10 log (p(in wat)/1e-3) that is the same that 10 log(p(in miliwat)/1)

Oct 17, 2011, 5:50:30 AM10/17/11
to omnetpp
Thank you For your prompt replay :)