Announcement and request for contribution: R package for OMNeT++ result file processing

Andras Varga

Jun 29, 2010, 3:45:34 AM6/29/10
to omn...@googlegroups.com, Borbély Tamás
Dear all,

I'd like to follow up an earlier thread, "Asking the list: what do you use
for result processing?", http://bit.ly/9ck7ol. There it turned out that many
people use R (r-project.org) for processing simulation results (very
powerful statistics-oriented language, excellent graphics, etc!), but a
common sore point was how to get the data into R. There were solutions based
on Perl, Python, shell scripting plus grep, awk, scavetool, etc. Basically
everybody does it in a different way.

In an effort to improve the situation and help coming to some common ground
here, we have written an R package primarily for reading, but also for
processing and plotting result files (vec and sca). The package is based on
the scavetool C++ codebase (plus R scripting on top).

Repository: http://github.com/omnetpp/omnetpp-resultfiles

And there is a tutorial, suitable for those who are new to R too, in the
project wiki:
http://wiki.github.com/omnetpp/omnetpp-resultfiles/omnetpp-r-package-tutoria

The project is completely open to contributions, I'd very much welcome your
suggestions, patches, contributions! The project is at version 0.1, so not
everything is perfect jut yet. We can use the github project's issue tracker
for keeping track of bugs and proposals. I'd welcome further tutorial wiki
pages as well, on how to do this or that in R, related to result processing
(creating, exporting various plots, etc.)! I put the package under the BSD
license so it can be most useful for everyone, including maybe other
simulators that choose to adapt the OMNeT++ result file format.

Regards,
Andras