[omeka-dev] ControlledVocab Plugin

Patrick Murray-John

Apr 26, 2010, 4:00:09 PM4/26/10
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've got a 1st run at a ControlledVocab plugin here: http://github.com/patrickmj/ControlledVocab

It doesn't handle those larger vocabs like LCSH, the Getty stuff, geonames, etc. Those will be much tougher nuts to crack because of their size (and in Getty's case licensing terms).

You can install Dublin Core Types and MIME Types when you install the plugin, though. You have to edit the vocabularies to assign them to collections before any options appear. Then, you should see a controls for adding terms appear, following what Shirley imagined. That uses javascript, though, so I'm looking forward to the joys of cross-browser bugfixing!

There are a lots of pieces of the plugin that aren't nearly as efficient as I'd like, but so far I'm hoping it gets at least a start. Let me know what you think!

Thanks!
Patrick

Tom Scheinfeldt

Apr 27, 2010, 9:42:05 AM4/27/10
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Patrick! That's awesome. Can I tweet it to see if we can get
some testers?

Tom

Patrick Murray-John

Apr 27, 2010, 10:22:19 AM4/27/10
to omek...@googlegroups.com
That'd be great!

BTW, I think I already found a bug -- did something mildly dumb with the
result that delete links don't work. Ooops!

Patrick

Will Riley

Apr 27, 2010, 10:41:55 AM4/27/10
to omek...@googlegroups.com
I'll test your plugin.

Musebrarian

Apr 27, 2010, 11:59:32 AM4/27/10
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,
Thanks!

Does this handle broader-than/narrow-than relationships? e.g. Dublin Core Type, Image has two subclasses, Still Image and Moving Image. Of course the more complex controlled vocabs are off the table right now (but do use a BT/NT relationship). Some of my students are interested in making a shallow hierarchy for their project - if this does that I might throw it their way.

Richard Urban
rju...@illinois.edu

Patrick Murray-John

Apr 27, 2010, 12:54:54 PM4/27/10
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Alas, right now it is all flat.

But, I do see the need to move on up to having
broader-than/narrower-than relationships. For that step, I'd like to see
it move to an SKOS-based system, but that's a step I probably won't be
able to get to in the near future.

A shorter-term solution might be to add a ControlledVocab_BroaderThan
table to the plugin to handle that kind of data. I'll spend some time
mulling over the options for how that might work.

Sorry it looks like it won't fit what you need right now, but the
question tells me good stuff about more use-cases.
Thanks!

Patrick

Jim Safley

Apr 30, 2010, 1:56:23 PM4/30/10
to Omeka Dev
Patrick,

I'm a little confused about what your ControlledVocab plugin does. I
can import the provided vocabularies, add vocabularies and terms, and
see the radio buttons under the proper elements, but selecting the
radio buttons does nothing, even when modifying the field. Maybe it's
a JavaScript error? Or some feature has not yet been implemented? I'm
using Firefox 3.5.9 for Ubuntu 9.10.

Jim

Patrick Murray-John

Apr 30, 2010, 2:54:55 PM4/30/10
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

Yep, that sounds like a javascript problem. Possibly css. Clicking
radios should bring up a select list of the terms available for that
element from that vocabulary.

Thanks, I'll look into it.
Patrick

Patrick Murray-John

Apr 30, 2010, 4:21:35 PM4/30/10
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

Yep. Reproduced the problem. I wasn't pulling in jQuery correctly, but
another plugin I had activated must have been doing it without me noticing.

I'm worried, though, that what I did might mess up the other plugin's
jQuery. To make it work, I had to set jQuery.noConflict(). I don't know
if doing that will make problems down the line, or whether when I
reactivate whichever plugin was pulling in jQuery, that'll make a
difference.

New version at http://github.com/patrickmj/ControlledVocab if you want
to try it. I'll keep you posted about those issues.

Thanks,
Patrick