[OLPC-AU] Alpha F11 XS installer

Jerry Vonau

Sep 28, 2010, 6:16:15 AM9/28/10
to OLPC Australia list
Hi all:

As a test of the currently available F11 rpms from:
http://fedora.laptop.org/xs/testing/olpc/11/i586/

I've re-created this repo, adding the ability to use @xs-server in a
kickstart file. There is a repo.tar file also, if you wish to have a
local repo at:
http://files.olpcfriends.sunriseroad.net/XS/F11/repo/

This is a network based install, for this stage of testing using a
boot.iso file:

http://files.olpcfriends.sunriseroad.net/XS/F11/XS-AU/iso/boot.iso

This installer will download a kickstart file and setup the need repos.
You will have to do some interactive questions in the installer at this
point, partitioning is one. Once installed and rebooted you will have to
run /etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/domain_config <your domain name here>,
then reboot. You should have a single interface XS-server using dhcp to
grab an ip,running on F11. If you need to setup static ip or proxy
setting to use the installer, append asknetwork at the boot prompt.
Just need a couple sets of eyes to confirm things work as expected.

Next on the list is to revise xs-config, to clean up the network layout
without having to use a kickstart file, and xs-release to reflect where
the repos are. This will allow someone to install the xs-release rpm, to
enable the XS repo, then do a "yum groupinstall xs-server" on any F11
machine, installing the needed rpms to create the XS-server.

Jerry

IanCunningham

Sep 30, 2010, 10:12:12 PM9/30/10
to olp...@lists.laptop.org
I ran the boot iso and everything appeared to install without problem.
I scratched my head when I had the school server prompt, having not
entered a root password during the install. What have I overlooked?

Ian

Jerry Vonau

Oct 12, 2010, 12:17:25 AM10/12/10
to IanCunningham, olp...@lists.laptop.org
On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 19:12 -0700, IanCunningham wrote:
> I ran the boot iso and everything appeared to install without problem.
> I scratched my head when I had the school server prompt, having not
> entered a root password during the install. What have I overlooked?
>
> Ian

Sorry for the late reply Ian,

Ok, "school server prompt" is that a command or login prompt?
"having not entered a root password during the install" as in you were
not prompted for one or you were prompted but just left the files blank?

I've never left the password prompt blank, so I'm unsure if that would
result in being presented with a command prompt without having to login.

Jerry

Ian Cunningham

Oct 12, 2010, 6:34:12 PM10/12/10
to Jerry Vonau, olp...@lists.laptop.org
Jerry,

I ran the install again later on and was presented with the request to set the root password.
I must have got too excited when I ran the initial install.

Ian

Jerry

If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any use, disclosure or copying of the message or any attachments is unauthorised.
If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender.
No representation is given that attached files are free from viruses or other defects. Scanning for viruses is recommended.