Legal Milk Sales upheld at FL farmers Market

Tom Kuettner

Oct 9, 2009, 6:19:49 PM10/9/09
to okra...@googlegroups.com
For those of you who don't know several weeks ago Joe Pietrangelo was
suspended (pending
a vote by the board) from selling raw milk for pet consumption (which he
holds a license from
the state of FL to sell) at the Alachuua County Farmers Market. *The
text of his original letter
is below.* On the same note Whole Foods in FL has also decided to stop
the sale of pet food
milk. Its getting harder and harder to get milk in the sunshine state.
See the link below to Billl Marler's
Site he is a food safety lawyer who is anti raw milk.
Raw milk is sold at farmers markets across the country and as far as I
know this is the first case
where there has been such a suspension. However as the FDA and "Big
Dairy" increase the fight to
stop us from eating and drinking the food we want and they strive for
tighter and tighter reins over
what we are allowed to put in our bodies look for more of this. First it
may be raw dairy but next
it will be produce from your farm (because its not "irradiated" or other
such foolery)

Well last night Joe and his customers won a resounding victory when
after mounting his defense
the board voted to reinstate his his ability to sell his milk.

Tom Kuettner
Kickin K Ranch
Providing LEGAL sales of pet food Milk

Bill Marlers site
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2009/09/whole-foods-farmers-market-drop-raw-milk/

Joe Letter of 3 weeks ago

Joe nub...@gladesridge.com

Dear Friends:

The reason that I’m sending you this email is to let you all know
why Glades Ridge Dairy is not at the Alachua County Farmers Market.

Yesterday I received a call from Helen Emery, the president of the
Board of the Alachua County Farmers Market. Helen informed me that
we were suspended from selling our milk and cheese until the next
Board meeting in October, when it will be decided whether or not to
suspend us permanently. The reasoning behind this decision was not
because anything bad had occurred, and is as follows – we are
selling unpasteurized dairy products and the Board fears that, if
anyone became ill from eating our products, they would be liable and
sued. Helen told me that they had consulted with a number of
attorneys and other scientific experts. The conclusion of these
experts was that the sale of our dairy products at the Alachua
County Farmer’s Market was a liability due to the inherent dangers
of raw milk, and because our customers may not be fully aware of or
educated about what they were purchasing. [Note that we are in full
compliance with all Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer
Services regulations and possess a fully executed permit to sell raw
milk/dairy as long as it is properly labeled.]

We sincerely hope to be back at the Alachua County Farmers Market
soon. Until then, our products are available for pick-up from the
farm. We are located north on SR 121 to Worthington Springs, and
then about five miles west on CR 18. If you’d like to pick up at the
farm, call me at 386-266-7041 for directions and to arrange a
pick-up time. I’ll be glad to introduce you to the dairy herd too,
and you can also see first-hand where the does are milked and cheese
is produced. We are committed to producing quality products for you,
and want you all to know that we will do everything that we can to
be back at space #20 selling milk, cheese and eggs as soon as
possible. If you go to the market and are so inclined, let the
market manager, Jared Sweat and any of the board that happen to be
there, know what you think. Your support is vital to helping us
resolve this. You can also contact the market via email: Jared
Sweat’s email is market...@441market.com and Helen Emery’s is
h...@441market.com

Thanks very much, and we hope to see you soon.

Joe Pietrangelo for Glades Ridge Dairy

Joe Pietrangelo and Greg Yurish, owners/operators