Cox Email Servers Blacklisted

Joe Winett

Apr 1, 2003, 10:30:45 AM4/1/03
From http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/sbl.lasso?query=SBL8086

68.1.17.0/24 is listed on the Spamhaus Block List (SBL)

Apr 1 2003 - 11:45hrs GMT

Brendan Battles / IMG Online / World-Services
Battles abusing open proxies on Cox

68.1.17.0/24 is listed on the Register Of Known Spam Operations (ROKSO)
database as being assigned to, under the control of, or providing service to
a known spam operation run by Brendan Battles / IMG Online / World-Services.
Please see the ROKSO spam records for Brendan Battles / IMG Online /
World-Services

A notorious spammer, Brendan Battles, has been abusing open proxies on Cox
for a number of days to conduct an attack on JustThe.NET. Cox was informed
but does not appear to be taking action to stop the attack.

COX CUSTOMERS: If you are a Cox customer blocked by this listing, you need
to contact your Cox Support Desk now. This listing can only be removed by
the Cox System Administrator or Abuse Desk person contacting Spamhaus.

From: ad...@faceville.com (by way of "Steven J Sobol" <sjs...@JustThe.NET>)
To: boo...@cmg.fcnbd.com
Subject: [Fwd] How to Boycott America, the Global Bully
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 04:30:35 -0500

Jim Rusling

Apr 1, 2003, 12:14:59 PM4/1/03
"Joe Winett" <j...@vigoris.net> wrote:

>From http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/sbl.lasso?query=SBL8086
>
>68.1.17.0/24 is listed on the Spamhaus Block List (SBL)
>
>Apr 1 2003 - 11:45hrs GMT

<snip>
It is already removed.

--
Jim Rusling
Partially Retired

Uncle Jerry

Apr 1, 2003, 12:43:25 PM4/1/03
On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 17:14:59 GMT, Jim Rusling <jrusli...@cox.net>
wrote:

>"Joe Winett" <j...@vigoris.net> wrote:
>
>>From http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/sbl.lasso?query=SBL8086
>>
>>68.1.17.0/24 is listed on the Spamhaus Block List (SBL)
>>
>>Apr 1 2003 - 11:45hrs GMT
>>
><snip>
>It is already removed.

That was fast.
I didn't even get to see it.
Except in the 'Resolved' section.

Since I don't use Cox mail servers I haven't looked to see which MTA
they use.

If it's Sendmail and Cox admins loaded the 'patches' of recent, they
may have misconfigured one of their servers and left it open.
I've seen it happen with other ISPs before.

Jim Rusling

Apr 1, 2003, 5:15:17 PM4/1/03
Uncle Jerry <Bubba...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I believe that is was a spammer that found an open proxy on Cox's
network and used it for sending out a Joe Job on an anit-spammer.
These blocks are cleared very quickly once the open proxy is fixed or
blocked.

Uncle Jerry

Apr 1, 2003, 10:43:26 PM4/1/03
On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 22:15:17 GMT, Jim Rusling <jrusli...@cox.net>
wrote:

<snip>

>I believe that is was a spammer that found an open proxy on Cox's
>network and used it for sending out a Joe Job on an anit-spammer.
>These blocks are cleared very quickly once the open proxy is fixed or
>blocked.

You mean they are still using the 'Joe Job', after all these years?

I sometimes wonder what happened with 'Joe', if he managed to save his
business or if the stigma was too much to over-come.

It's been years since I was a regular in n.a.n-a.*
Obviously...

Jim Rusling

Apr 2, 2003, 12:24:06 AM4/2/03
Uncle Jerry <Bubba...@hotmail.com> wrote:

His business folded. I don't know if he started another.

Uncle Jerry

Apr 2, 2003, 12:09:51 AM4/2/03
On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 05:24:06 GMT, Jim Rusling <jrusli...@cox.net>
wrote:

>Uncle Jerry <Bubba...@hotmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>>I sometimes wonder what happened with 'Joe', if he managed to save his
>>business or if the stigma was too much to over-come.

<snip>

>His business folded. I don't know if he started another.

That's sad.
He did all the right things in dealing with a forgery.
And he had the majority of the anti-spammers on his side.

At least he achieved 'net fame' of sorts.
Even if it was the wrong kind of fame.

By the way, how goes the life of a retired 'ISP Guy'?
Good I hope.