Tim:Find A Grave web site has a photo of his grave marker located in Grandview Cemetery, 300 Brookside Drive, Chillichothe, Ohio. Gives his rank as Captain in 31st Ohio. Died 1892.
--- On Wed, 7/13/11, Tim <cbj...@gmail.com> wrote:
From: Tim <cbj...@gmail.com>
Subject: Capt. John H. Putnam, Co. H 31st OVI - photo and burial info desired
Date: Wednesday, July 13, 2011, 6:05 PM
Anybody happen to know which cemetery Mr. Putnam is buried in? I'm supposing Chillicothe is the best guess due to his home being there at the time of death. I personally don't care much for the man seeing that he ditched the War effort at the end of '62/early '63 strictly because of Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation but nonetheless he was in "our" Regiment and Company.
He died Dec. 22 or 23,1892 at Chillicothe.
A photo, if it exists is very much wanted. I haven't been able to turn one up anywhere, strange because of his active professional life.
- represented Licking County in the State Legislature for 4 years
- represented Ross & Highland Counties in the State Senate
- Publisher of many newspapers
- Private Secretary under Gov. Allen
- Consul-General to Honolulu, Sandwich Islands under President Cleveland
- married Ella Gertrude Ewing, of Chillicothe 14th of October, 1867
- great-grandson of General Rufus Putnam
- son of General Rufus Putnam