Strubens Road Tennis Courts

brian amery

Feb 15, 2010, 7:40:43 AM2/15/10
to Observatory Improvement District - Chat
The Obsid has been approached to rehabilitate some of the tennis
courts on Strubens Road. There are two serviceable courts which just
require weeding and the removal of a palm tree from one corner (not
the sort of thing you need on a tennis court!) The quote to do that
work as well as clean up the long grass around the edges and paths is
R6100. Apart from that we would need two nets and some bits and pieces
say another R2000.
As a second phase there are two practice courts which are in quite
good shape and they run along by the side of the road. We have a quote
to clean them up for R4500.
Those two projects would cover about one third of the total area
available. The balance of the area is too far gone for rehabilitation,
the surfaces are broken and potholed, the fences are in a bad shape.
We have asked the Mary Kihn School for permission to use this bit to
grow vegetables along the lines of a similar project by the Obs Junior
School. This would involve community participation as well as the
learners. Produce can be used for feeding at the school or at shelters
for the homeless.
We are inclined to support this project as it will certainly clean up
an ugly piece as it stands now. There are several tennis players in
the immediate area who are in favour and we would like to know if
there are others who would be interested in a social game. If there is
enough support we would like to see a club being formed, with an
annual subscription to cover future maintenance.
Let's hear your views.
Brian

Katharine McKenzie

Feb 15, 2010, 9:01:31 AM2/15/10
to obsid...@googlegroups.com
Many of us in the Low Street and surrounding areas have been keen on using
the tennis courts for some time now, and there is a Westerford teacher who
lives in the area and even offered to do some coaching. I can follow up and
see if that offer still stands.
Well done Brian

Julia Teale

Feb 15, 2010, 10:50:57 AM2/15/10
to obsid...@googlegroups.com
Go for it!! Gabs and Kris both like the odd game and have to go far afield
to get one! We would pay subs if they weren't unreasonable. Julia

Feb 15, 2010, 11:58:01 AM2/15/10
to obsid...@googlegroups.com, Ann and Cuan Westoe 4, Billy Nr 63, Candice, Dallas, Hannah, Ian Mc Walter (H), Janet Cronje Nr 96, Keith and Ansa, laura, Nick and Chris, Sally Peisl, Strubens 84, Wendy Private
Exactly how many people have approached Obsid?

I have been fruitlessly trying for the last 4 years to sort out the massive
security problems which have impacted on my family's life as a result of
living next door to the Mary Kihn School.

This includes having been hijacked at gunpoint in my driveway,having our
domestic worker threatened at knifepoint in our kitchen - with my then 4
year old sleeping in his room and about 5 burglaries.
The grounds are totally unsecured and all these incidents occurred as a
result of the criminals being able to jump into our property from the school
field.

I have gone from the Department of Public Works to the Western Cape Dept. of
Education and back again and again ad nauseum.
I have been promised that the situation will be remedied - all I needed was
for the bushes to be cleared and a new fence put up - but with no actuall
outcome.

As for the Tennis Club, a project that will benefit 'several tennis players'
at a cost to Obsid of R12600(a figure that is sure to escalate), the tennis
players can personally pay for the project if they so wish.

As for the obvious response from the tennis lobby that everyone and their
families will now start playing tennis, let's be practical and not be fooled
by the self serving interests of a few people.

Having three children at school - ages 15, 13 and 7, who spend between 30
minutes(Grade2) to between 2-3 hours(Grade 10) doing their homework
everyday,having a tennis club with its inherent noise factor right next
door(20 metres) to their rooms is going to be incredibly disruptive.

For those of my neighbours who have babies and very young children, best of
luck trying to get them to go to sleep.
Then again,I'm sure that elitist concerns such as children's sleeping needs
can be brushed aside in the interest of the recreation time of a select few.

As for the vegetable garden, please elaborate.
Who is going to control the access to the property for this project and how
will the security of an already poorly secured area be impacted on!

A rational reply would be appreciated

Louis Hoffman

Feb 15, 2010, 12:48:29 PM2/15/10
to obsid...@googlegroups.com
Wooooooo! Louis! I am sure you are very frustrated, but us 'elite'
'spoiled few who are totally 'self-interested' were not aware of your
plight! Forgive me for resenting your tone. I am hardly 'self-interested'
and many of us who voted yes for the site are part of the neighbourhood
watch and worked for the formation of the cid. I am afraid you are sounding
fairly 'self-interested' right now. Are you ever on patrols to help bring
down crime? My husband, Kris, is. It seems that you are the person who is
not being rational here and simply throwing brickbats around in a rather
nasty way. I think it would be useful if you calmed down a bit and
considered that we may be on the same side when it comes to wanting a good
place to live in. I have a daughter at school too, who also has homework
and sleep needs. Many of us do. You are not alone in this. I am saddened
that your children would find the gentle sound of tennis being played
disruptive. Perhaps the area should just stay derelict, fenced off with
razor wire and allowed to rot. How sad.
Feb 15, 2010, 1:41:00 PM2/15/10
to obsid...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

Firstly, as list moderator I'd like to encourage everyone to keep the
conversation calm and collected. This is not the place for name
calling, even if done indirectly. "If you want your voice to be heard
use nice words".

My opinion on the matter is simple. If the area is derelict then *any*
work done to improve its condition and provide a space for use by the
public will improve security and aesthetics. The "soft" benefit of
having a public tennis court should be viewed as a by-product.

As Julia intimated, I'm not sure what Melanie's alternative to having
a tennis court near her house is? Perhaps a housing complex with 42sqm
flats?

Realistically this debate has two parts:

1. Should there be a tennis court where there currently is a tennis
court? (I think you can guess my answer to this one)
2. Should the Obsid pay to fix up the tennis court?

Option 2 is the only thing we should really be debating.

The Obsid has been making its way around Obs painting and repairing
areas that were previously left to decay. This has made a big
difference to those areas and countless studies have found over and
over again that an area that is well looked after has less crime.

The Obsid has a very detailed business plan which is summarised as
"Smarter, Cleaner, Safer".

Fixing up the tennis courts seems to tick all three.

regards,
j.

ps. I have no interest in playing tennis regardless of how much my fat
ass would benefit from it, but I am sure that a lot of people would
enjoy having the opportunity.

--
Jonathan Endersby
+27 82 4143129

Anique

Feb 16, 2010, 4:37:04 AM2/16/10
to Observatory Improvement District - Chat
Sounds fantastic, I would be keen on the community garden idea.

And, a social tennis club!

I was actually wondering about these courts driving past this morning.

Who do they belong to?

rob...@mweb.co.za

Feb 16, 2010, 4:49:35 AM2/16/10
to obsid...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the calm, rational response, Jonathan. While I don't think we should get too fixated on graffiti, most graffiti is unsightly (and usually put up without permission) and I'm sure most people would support a well-thought-through process that leads to its  removal.
Rob
--
Dr Rob Gaylard (DLitt)
Words eKapa

Sonja ter Horst

Feb 16, 2010, 5:26:30 AM2/16/10
to obsid...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday two local painters (obviously with permission of the owners) painted over the unsightly graffiti and subsequent tags on the Milton road wall of the Student digs on the corner of Milton and Arnold Road.
A bright, clean, lovely coat of paint.  What a pleasure...
The graffiti and tags on this particular location have invited other taggers to mark adjoining residences walls.
Of late a ridiculous scribble in luminous green paint which now adorns the recently painted walls of the Milton Mews, into the corner on the guerilla garden of the wall between Mews and the Dog Park.

Is it possible for the Municipality to repair the branch bent fence on Arnold road just off Gordon on the dogpark?  Sometime ago a storm broke off a large branch which fell on the fence, bending it downwards.  We've spotted vagrants gaining access to sleep in the dogpark at night - they now climb over the fence at this point.

OBSID is doing great things.  We appreciate and support this.

Just Rich

Feb 16, 2010, 12:14:24 PM2/16/10
to Observatory Improvement District - Chat
AWESOME!!!

Just what the Community needs!

Maybe we can sort out some flood lights too ;-)

Looking forward to the developments.

marion

Feb 16, 2010, 12:33:19 PM2/16/10
to Observatory Improvement District - Chat
Hi there
I live in Crown St and drive or walk past the tennis courts almost
everyday. It has always bothered me that they are so run-down. I
support any project to fix these up - even though I haven't been on a
court since Std 2 and have no desire to!
Surely it would be good for security to turn this neglected run-down
area into one that is used regularly and clearly shows signs of use
and care.
Perhaps better fencing would improve security, with a locked gate. The
key system works very well for the park.
Marion

On Feb 16, 12:26 pm, Sonja ter Horst <sonja.terho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yesterday two local painters (obviously with permission of the owners)
> painted over the unsightly graffiti and subsequent tags on the Milton
> road wall of the Student digs on the corner of Milton and Arnold Road.
> A bright, clean, lovely coat of paint.  What a pleasure...
> The graffiti and tags on this particular location have invited other
> taggers to mark adjoining residences walls.
> Of late a ridiculous scribble in luminous green paint which now adorns
> the recently painted walls of the Milton Mews, into the corner on the
> guerilla garden of the wall between Mews and the Dog Park.
>
> Is it possible for the Municipality to repair the branch bent fence on
> Arnold road just off Gordon on the dogpark?  Sometime ago a storm
> broke off a large branch which fell on the fence, bending it
> downwards.  We've spotted vagrants gaining access to sleep in the
> dogpark at night - they now climb over the fence at this point.
>
> OBSID is doing great things.  We appreciate and support this.

> read more »

H Schultz

Feb 16, 2010, 12:38:57 PM2/16/10
to Observatory Improvement District - Chat
Thanks, Louis for taking this up. It raises a number of issues which
have been troubling me but for fear of becoming the neighbourhood
nutter I have not pursued.

The field – There are issues of security with copies of keys being
handed to people at random so that there is no access control at all,
and a security issue for residents.
The field is not owned by the school but by
CPUT and it is improper use of public funds to apply them to repairs
of a site which is not owned or of which there is no secure agreement
of tenure. (Does OBSID have auditors?)
The proposal to use public funds to provide a facility for
the use of a few individuals is also improper. If people wish to play
tennis they may join a club and pay for the facilities as the rest of
us do for our sport or social activities.

Vegetable gardening??? We all know that this is a good thing but
which community is it that they want to let loose on this and whose
will the vegetables be? Until there has been a survey of available
facilities and resources the proposal is not justified. Most
Observatory residents have some garden space which they may use for
their own vegetables otherwise we could link with Valkenberg farm and
try to set up a system of allotments which people might hire.

OBSID – This proposal betrays a serious want of planning and
understanding of the limits of the scheme which could lead to its
downfall. It is clear that crime has not been reduced by the presence
of the local patrols and we must ask if we want to displace crime to
neighbouring areas or undertake a strategic considered response to
local incidents of crime.

The issue of these tennis courts needs to be considered on the basis
of a generally accepted plan and process. You cannot make decisions
on the basis of consulting the 20 houses closest to the field or the
subway or whatever. Observatory is part of the city and the country
and is bound by the same process and law as everybody else. We must
also be aware of the practice of other similar structures – eg Cape
Town, Claremont, all have improvement districts and the experience of
their skilled professional staff may well be useful.
There are plenty of unattractive sites in Observatory and OBSID needs
to explain why they have chosen this one to attend to, apart from the
prospect of personal gain.
The process is opaque: Who decides on the responses which we are
invited to submit? Perhaps the same people who made the proposal in
the first place and some of whom may play tennis.

This whole thing has taken on the character of suburban land invasion
and if it were initiated by black people there would be a completely
different response. Whatever makes people think that they can simply
take over a piece of land which does not belong to them?

Jonathan Endersby

Feb 16, 2010, 1:33:26 PM2/16/10
to obsid...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Lets look at each of these issues one by one.

On 16 February 2010 19:38, H Schultz <hcasc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The field – There are issues of security with copies of keys being
> handed to people at random so that there is no access control at all,
> and a security issue for residents.

Currently there is, by Louis' own statement, poor security in the
area. I'm not sure what the proposal is with regards to padlocks etc,
but as has been mentioned before, padlocks on the dog/children's parks
work well. There is no "random" handing out of keys. Suggesting so is
insulting to the people who voluntaryly take care of these public
spaces.

> The field is not owned by the school but by
> CPUT and it is improper use of public funds to apply them to repairs
> of a site which is not owned or of which there is no secure agreement
> of tenure.  (Does OBSID have auditors?)

Yes, the Obsid has auditors. The Obsid has a mandate to improve
Observatory by making it "Smarter, Cleaner, Safer". There is nothing
improper about fixing up a space for public use, regardless of who
owns the property. In the UK there are various organisations that set
up vegetable gardens for residents on privately owned property which
they have been given permission to use. Most of this land belongs to
Airports, churches etc.

> The proposal to use public funds to provide a facility for
> the use of a few individuals is also improper.  If people wish to play
> tennis they may join a club and pay for the facilities as the rest of
> us do for our sport or social activities.

Absolute nonsense. Fixing up public toilets is just as "elitist"...
This is a public space for members of the public to use if they wish.

> Vegetable gardening???  We all know that this is a good thing but
> which community is it that they want to let loose on this and whose
> will the vegetables be?

Why does everything have to be so negative and melodramatic? "let
loose"? Are you suggesting that those hooligan veggie gardeners might
cause a public disturbance? The vegetables will be used (as mentioned
in the original email) to feed school kids and people in homeless
shelters.

> Until there has been a survey of available
> facilities and resources the proposal is not justified.  Most
> Observatory residents have some garden space which they may use for
> their own vegetables otherwise we could link with Valkenberg farm and
> try to set up a system of allotments which people might hire.

So you're not against allotments on private land? Just not near near
the tennis court ???

> OBSID – This proposal betrays a serious want of planning and
> understanding of the limits of the scheme which could lead to its
> downfall.  It is clear that crime has not been reduced by the presence
> of the local patrols and we must ask if we want to displace crime to
> neighbouring areas or undertake a strategic considered response to
> local incidents of crime.

Once again, you're speaking without any attempt to gather information.
There are very candid debates about the merits of gardening, art,
public space improvement etc on a monthly basis in the Obsid directors
meetings and weekly sub-committee meeetings... I will remind you that
these are individuals who are volunteers, giving up their time and
energy to try and improve the community. There are no vested
interests... but they do have families at home that they would rather
spend their time with... however, out of a sense of civic duty they
work to improve _your_ community.

> The issue of these tennis courts needs to be considered on the basis
> of a generally accepted plan and process.  You cannot make decisions
> on the basis of consulting the 20 houses closest to the field or the
> subway or whatever.  Observatory is part of the city and the country
> and is bound by the same process and law as everybody else.

You are very right, there are laws and procedures in place. The Obsid
works very much within the ambit of those laws and procedures. As
elected representatives they have, as mentioned before, been mandated
by the community to improve Observatory. The additional consultation
with the community is done in good faith.

> We must
> also be aware of the practice of other similar structures – eg Cape
> Town, Claremont, all have improvement districts and the experience of
> their skilled professional staff may well be useful.

Yes, which is why we consult with them. Again, if you'd been to any of
the meetings, or attempted to get involved in any constructive manner
you would be aware of this.

> There are plenty of unattractive sites in Observatory and OBSID needs
> to explain why they have chosen this one to attend to, apart from the
> prospect of personal gain.

If you opened your eyes you will notice that there are lots of sites
that are receiving attention on a daily basis. The tennis court issue
was raised publicly because it had the potential to be viewed as a
non-essential. I'm very happy to see that aside from two individuals,
yourself included, the overwhelming consensus is that the work should
go ahead. Again, the consensus is not from people with any vested
interests.

> The process is opaque:  Who decides on the responses which we are
> invited to submit?  Perhaps the same people who made the proposal in
> the first place and some of whom may play tennis.

You're not getting the "elected representatives" thing are you?

> This whole thing has taken on the character of suburban land invasion
> and if it were initiated by black people there would be a completely
> different response.  Whatever makes people think that they can simply
> take over a piece of land which does not belong to them?

Obsid has, to my understanding, been asked by the land owners (or
lease holders) to upgrade the courts and make them available to be
used by members of the public. By resorting to claims of land invasion
and race you have undermined your argument and made me regret wasting
my time replying to it.

Melanie Hoffman

Feb 16, 2010, 2:16:26 PM2/16/10
to obsid...@googlegroups.com
There are more than 2 people in this road (Strubens) who are against Obsid
meddling with the tennis court. ( I have a total of 4 property owners who
have emailed me privately, who live right in the vicinity of the
tenniscourt, not a road or two down.
The OBSID was NOT approached by the landowners to upgrade the land. The Mary
Kihn School does NOT own the land. That is simply not true. If you knew the
background of the land, that it was donated by a private individuum who
still lives in Westoe, with the providor that it is NOT to be used as public
space.
The land is NOT public space.
It's actually as easy as that.
Melanie Hoffman

Hi

Trow Dale

Feb 17, 2010, 1:44:49 AM2/17/10
to obsid...@googlegroups.com
You have my vote! My children would love a place to play so they do'nt have to play in the street!
Dale

Feb 17, 2010, 1:53:57 AM2/17/10
to obsid...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone

We would definitely like to help with the community garden idea - we already help out at The Observatory School and we sponsor a garden in Nyanga.

Perhaps we can put our heads together with the school and see what we can do ?

SEAN WALPOLE
Program Director
Volunteer Adventure Corps
1st Floor, Building 20
Waverley Business Park
Kotzee Rd., Mowbray 7700
Cape Town, South Africa
Mobile - +27 (0)823727797
Fax - +27 (0)214481117
se...@vacorps.com
www.vacorps.com

GILL BOND ARTWORKS

Feb 17, 2010, 2:05:08 AM2/17/10
to obsid...@googlegroups.com

I live in Strubens road and I am all for the tennis courts being up graded and used.
Feb 17, 2010, 4:24:01 AM2/17/10
to Observatory Improvement District - Chat
Most of the Obs CID projects will affect pockets of people, but
overall Obs is looking great! If only projects that merited the whole
communities benefit were considered then Obs CID won't get anywhere.

The important considerations for the tennis club include:
- fixing a current eye sore,
- securing it will hopefully help crime,
- anyone can join if they pay membership fees (so no-one is excluded)
and the fees can be put to maintaining the tennis cours,
- noise levels will obviously fall under standard rules (so that
should not be an issue),
- there is the social aspect will help with crime and good community
spirit.

ITO the veg garden, it would be good to look at other models. I know
Janet who lives near the tennis courts may be able to offer some solid
input - she has been involved in areas of permaculture, and organic
vegetable gardens. There are a lot of people in Obs that have a lot
of good knowledge in that.

Anique

Feb 17, 2010, 4:44:30 AM2/17/10
to Observatory Improvement District - Chat
Apologies I mean "securing it will hopefully REDUCE crime,"

Katharine McKenzie

Feb 17, 2010, 6:01:00 AM2/17/10
to obsid...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Jonathan's sentiments.

There is also a large body of international evidence, and growing local
evidence to show that crime comes down when people are out and about on the
streets and in public open space.

An unused tennis court will continue to be used as a thoroughfare and as a
potential site for antisocial behaviour and crime. It would be far better if
it were used by the community. If the R12 000 budget is the issue (which
seemed not a bad price to me but maybe is debateable) then we could
potentially organise a working bee where volunteers all pile in and do some
manual labour for a day or so. We use this approach at the school our kids
attend and find that it is a lot of fun, builds community spirit, provides
an opportunity for people to get to know one another and has a concrete end
result.

Thanks to the convenors of this group for providing a forum to debate the
issues.

Katharine McKenzie

Lets look at each of these issues one by one.

On 16 February 2010 19:38, H Schultz <hcasc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The field � There are issues of security with copies of keys being

> OBSID � This proposal betrays a serious want of planning and

> We must
> also be aware of the practice of other similar structures � eg Cape

janet

Feb 17, 2010, 8:23:43 AM2/17/10
to Observatory Improvement District - Chat
Phew - quite a debate!

I agree that it would be a great community asset to have functional
tennis courts -not only would it bring people out of their houses and
into shared public space, it would also increase the surveillance
generally of the area, as mentioned by others. Louis and other
neighbouring properties to the courts have some valid concerns (that
could quite easily be addressed in the proper forum) and that do need
to be addressed if this proposal goes ahead.

It would be a shame to leave the courts to continue rotting away
because we cannot find an agreed upon and sensible way forward ...and
it seems to me that this is an area (facilitation and discussion and
resolution of pertinent issues) that OBSID could either enhance (if it
already exists?) or initiate. If I am not mistaken the issue of
closing the subways seems also to gotten stuck in the stage of email/
forum debate. I am not aware of the public meetings that are held by
OBSID , but it seems like these are the issues need to be discussed in
a facilitated non-electronic forum (as in realtime person to person),
and not only via email discussion where tempers and emotions so easily
(and unecessarily) run high and only those who have access to internet
can make comment!

Janet

On Feb 17, 1:01 pm, "Katharine McKenzie" <k...@string.co.za> wrote:
> I agree with Jonathan's sentiments.
>
> There is also a large body of international evidence, and growing local
> evidence to show that crime comes down when people are out and about on the
> streets and in public open space.
>
> An unused tennis court will continue to be used as a thoroughfare and as a
> potential site for antisocial behaviour and crime. It would be far better if
> it were used by the community. If the R12 000 budget is the issue (which
> seemed not a bad price to me but maybe is debateable) then we could
> potentially organise a working bee where volunteers all pile in and do some
> manual labour for a day or so. We use this approach at the school our kids
> attend and find that it is a lot of fun, builds community spirit, provides
> an opportunity for people to get to know one another and has a concrete end
> result.
>
> Thanks to the convenors of this group for providing a forum to debate the
> issues.
>
> Katharine McKenzie

Julia Teale

Feb 17, 2010, 8:38:39 AM2/17/10
to obsid...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Jonathan for a most lucid and informative response to the mail
below. You have my vote of yes to the tennis courts, veggie garden and
obviously the well-run, audited Cid!

Lets look at each of these issues one by one.

On 16 February 2010 19:38, H Schultz <hcasc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The field � There are issues of security with copies of keys being

> OBSID � This proposal betrays a serious want of planning and

> We must
> also be aware of the practice of other similar structures � eg Cape

rob...@mweb.co.za

Feb 17, 2010, 8:53:09 AM2/17/10
to obsid...@googlegroups.com
Good call, Janet! Lets try and find each other.
Rob

Melanie Hoffman

Feb 18, 2010, 2:05:20 AM2/18/10
to Cuan Dugmore, br...@obsid.org.za, obsid...@googlegroups.com, Billy Nr 63, Candice, Dallas, Hannah, Ian Mc Walter (H), Janet Cronje Nr 96, Keith and Ansa, laura, Nick and Chris, Sally Peisl, Strubens 84, Wendy Private, e...@global.co.za
Dear All,
Please find attached one of the replies I received in 2007 from the WCED, in
this case directly from the MEC of Education, Mr C Dugmore.
3 years later I am still waiting for "the matter to receive attention".
I have a whole of file of correspondence, various officials have visited the
property in the last couple of years.
I am all for upgrading the security of the field / tenniscourts, and having
it cleaned up, but I am against a public park / vegetable garden / private
tennis club being set up, as I fear that the security will become even more
of a problem, with hundreds (literally) of people gaining access to the
fields.
Besides, that legally this will not be so easy to do for various reasons I
have stated before.
Louis Hoffman

Feb 18, 2010, 4:16:44 AM2/18/10
to obsid...@googlegroups.com, p...@soilforlife.co.za
Tennis in the vegie patch?
Refurbished tennis courts should be a nice thing to see after many years of abandonment.   I recon that Louis and Melanie or any other abutting resident may grow to find pleasure and benfit over the envisaged changes.  Chatting re the matter is good getting us as residents and lovers of 'good ol Obs' before meeting to move a way forward.

Re the vegies, Pat Featherstone "Soil for Life" winner of the Cape Argus' award re helping the underpriveldeged etc,etc, etc, should also be brought into the pool of thought if OBSID ventures re vegy gardening etc. Her contact details:   (C) 082 791 4250 (O) 021 794 4982 (F) 021 794 4982.  I forward this email to her just for good measure and possible lines of communication forhopeward.
James

Rod

Feb 19, 2010, 8:07:16 AM2/19/10
to Observatory Improvement District - Chat
Hi

I am all for an upgrade of the courts - and it's use. It is very sad
to see sporting facilities lie in ruins. I do play tennis regularly
and have to go up to UCT or join a club that is not in my suburb. I
would be willing to pay membership fees.

Thanks

Rod

brian amery

Feb 26, 2010, 10:25:58 AM2/26/10
to Observatory Improvement District - Chat
Excellent Sean. Let's await the school's decision and then we can get
together to see how we can make progress.
Thanks
Brian

On Feb 17, 8:53 am, Sean Walpole <walpole.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> We would definitely like to help with the community garden idea - we already
> help out at The Observatory School and we sponsor a garden in Nyanga.
>
> Perhaps we can put our heads together with the school and see what we can do
> ?
>
> SEAN WALPOLE
> Program Director
> Volunteer Adventure Corps
> 1st Floor, Building 20
> Waverley Business Park
> Kotzee Rd., Mowbray 7700
> Cape Town, South Africa
> Mobile - +27 (0)823727797
> Fax - +27 (0)214481117

> s...@vacorps.comwww.vacorps.com

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/obsid-chat?hl=en.

brian amery

Feb 26, 2010, 10:24:26 AM2/26/10
to Observatory Improvement District - Chat
Melanie
I have a copy of the deed. The land is owned by the Western Cape
Province. The Mary Kihn School has jurisdiction over the land through
its Board. It is entitled to take a decision to upgrade the tennis
courts and to grow vegetables. There is no restriction in the deeds as
to use. There is no "providor" that the land is not to be used as a
public open space, nor indeed for low cost housing, not that either of
these is being considered by the Obsid.
Obsid is really looking forward to "meddling with the tennis courts"
in order to bring a community asset back into use at a very low cost.
Our supporters far outweigh our opponents.
Brian Amery

Trevor Hughes

Feb 26, 2010, 11:38:46 AM2/26/10
to obsid...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 5:24 PM, brian amery <br...@obsid.org.za> wrote:

> Obsid is really looking forward to "meddling with the tennis courts"
> in order to bring a community asset back into use at a very low cost.
> Our supporters far outweigh our opponents.
> Brian Amery

This is great. Also for your information the land falls into the TRUP
area (Two Rivers Urban Park) and therefore please keep TRUP informed
of progress. This should be trivial because Obsid ecology committee
member Edwin Angless sits on the TRUP committee as well.

While not speaking directly for TRUP, the members of the committee
were quite in agreement of making the most use of the TRUP area and
the tennis courts will be seen as an asset to the area.

Trevor Hughes

GILL BOND ARTWORKS

Feb 27, 2010, 2:54:46 AM2/27/10
to obsid...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Brian for finally clearing it up!  Look forward to the clean up.
Gill

> Subject: Re: [obsid] Re: Strubens Road Tennis Courts

Brian & Sue Amery

Feb 28, 2010, 1:05:52 PM2/28/10