Cappuccino 0.7 Beta

Francisco Tolmasky

Mar 20, 2009, 9:43:17 AM3/20/09
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
I know this is long overdue and I apologize sincerely for this, but we
have finally finished merging the changes from the tolmasky branch
with master. This has way more changes than we originally thought, so
this will be the 0.7 release instead of 0.6.5. I'm not sure whether
we should have an intermediary 0.6.5 release with intermediate patches/
changes, but this is something I'd be curious to get your guys' intake
on.

You can get a more in depth overview of the features being added here:

http://wiki.github.com/280north/cappuccino/07-beta

That being said, 0.7 is far from complete, which is why we've set up a
separate branch for it as a beta:

http://github.com/280north/cappuccino/tree/0.7b

Again, this will have a tremendous amount of changes in it, including
enhanced cib support and the new Aristo theme. There are still a lot
of unfinished features and bugs to iron out, and I'd really like to
get it well tested before we ship.

I think the best course of action for us is to check out the beta and
to begin testing it against our current projects. This is what we've
started to do here at 280 North this week by getting 280 Slides up to
speed, so we'll be feeling the same potential pain. So far it has not
been too bad, there should be little to no "required" code changes.
Most of the differences you will experience will be aesthetic (due to
the partial new theme), as well as the opportunity to use a lot of new
features. Again, there are still a number of remaining bugs. The most
visible right now is that press does not work and the Aristo theme is
very far from being complete, but both of these will receive a lot of
attention this coming week.

We should probably file bugs in the 0.7b in a special way, but I'd
like to get Baltazar's input on this since he organized our ticketing
system.

Enjoy!

Thomas Balthazar

Mar 20, 2009, 11:17:29 AM3/20/09
to objec...@googlegroups.com
That's a great news, congrats!

Here are my first thoughts : before we start working in the 0.7
branch, it would be great that we all do an effort to go through the
99 tickets that are currently open. I'm sure a lot could be closed
without spending too much time/erergy on them.

Here is what I propose :

1/ There are 32 tickets tagged @to-review, it means they have a
proposed solution. It would be great that someone check them out and
apply the fixes to the 0.6 branch *and* the 0.7 branch

2/ We release a 0.6.5 version of Cappuccino, with all the fixes that
have been commited to the GH repository since 0.6.0. Doing that, we
can then concentrate all our efforts on the 0.7 release, and, at the
same time, allow everybody to benefit from all the bugfixes that have
already been submitted in the master branch

3/ We create a 0.7 milestone in LH

4/ There are 20 @new-features tickets : they should be reviewed to
check if they are still relevant to 0.7. If the answer is :
* yes : assign them to milestone 0.7 or to milestone Later
* no : tag them with 'fixed-in-0.7'

5/ There are 14 @needtest, 15 @to-acknowledge and 8 @ackowledged
tickets. We need to check if those tickets are still relevant to 0.7.
If the answer is :
* yes : assign them to milestone 0.7 or to milestone Later
* no : tag them with 'fixed-in-0.7'

6/ There are 13 @needanswer tickets. It would be great that
experienced developers help everybody to determine the next step
required to close those tickets.

This represents a fair amount of work, but it will really help us to
focus on the 0.7 release.

When new tickets are posted, we could tag them with :
* 0.6-only
* 0.7-only
* 0.6-and-0.7

and apply the fixes to the corresponding branches.

When 0.7 is considered more stable, we can merge it to the master branch.
We will then be able to close all the tickets tagged with 'fixed-in-0.7'.
At this time, tickets tagged with '0.6-only' should all be closed, and
the '0.6-and-0.7' tag becomes irrelevant because every ticket is now
related to 0.7.

Please share your ideas about that, it would be great to have more feedback!

Cheers,

Thomas Balthazar
http://suitmymind.com
http://cappuccinocasts.com

Andre Angelantoni

Mar 20, 2009, 12:12:21 PM3/20/09
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Fabulous!

Can't wait to dig in...

Francisco Tolmasky

Mar 20, 2009, 8:13:05 PM3/20/09
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
I mentioned this in another thread but thought it worth mentioning
here. You should probably set up a different build folder when
building 0.7b, or else switching between the two may corrupt the build
folders, so something:

Build-Old
Build

and then switch them when you go back to master