Building the Source on Windows

Chandler Kent

May 20, 2009, 9:34:21 PM5/20/09
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
Has anybody been successful setting up a development environment on
Windows? I have been developing on Ubuntu but would like to move over
to Windows. Any suggestions or problems people are having building the
source on Windows? What are the steps I would need to take to be able
to do this?

Thanks for the help,

Chandler

Tom Robinson

May 20, 2009, 10:31:15 PM5/20/09
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Currently it definitely won't work in a standard Windows shell, but it
*may* work under Cygwin. That said, it probably won't :(

With a bit of work it could though. If an experienced Windows user
wants to help out, please do.

-Tom

fran...@280north.com

May 20, 2009, 10:49:22 PM5/20/09
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
We would love help with this btw.

steve

May 21, 2009, 6:38:24 AM5/21/09
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
ive been trying to build capp on cygwin, but no luck cause it seems
like the cygwin style paths are not understood by some applications in
the build process,

e.g the following error appears during a "rake install"
"org.mozilla.javascript.WrappedException: Wrapped
java.io.FileNotFoundException:\cygdrive\d\capp_build\Release\env
\narwhal\narwhal.js (The system cannot find the path specified)".
which wierdly has the slashes the wrong way round... possibly
explainign the problem. cygwin doesnt mind windows style paths if they
are in the form x:\\foo\\bar (it translates them into cygwin style
paths)

anyway im not sure how to proceed as Im not sure where to look in the
build process to find the point at which this is happening.

(up to this point installing rake etc is simple)

steve

Otherwise up to the point, installing ruby gems (to get rake) is no
trouble at all.

steve

May 21, 2009, 7:01:04 AM5/21/09
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
i was writing what i was doing , as i was doing it, so here is what i
have so far... nothing particularly interesting

1) I have cygwin installed already, but basically make sure when you
install it you select the 'git' , 'ruby' and 'gcc' packages to install
too.

2) Then go to: http://wiki.github.com/280north/cappuccino/getting-and-building-the-source
and you will download the source using git, e.g. "cd /cygdrive/c" then
do "git clone git://github.com/280north/cappuccino.git cappuccino",
you will now have 'cappuccino' folder in your C:/ drive.

3) Now you can add the export to your ".bash_profile"
eg set it to "export="/cygdrive/c/capp_build"...
note: your home directory is probably (c:\documents and settings
\username\) not (c:/cygwin_installpath/home) as you may have thought.
if you "cd ~" then "ls -a" in cygwin you should see the file, you can
always do "touch ~/.bash_profile" to create it if it doesnt exist,
then edit in any text editor, e.g. by doing "cd ~" and "/cygdrive/c/
WINDOWS/system32/notepad.exe .bash_profile" (use Ctrl-C at the console
if after you close notepad you cant type anymore)
After this close and reopen cygwin.

4) Now go to http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126 and download
the latest rubygems package and extract it in say your C:/ drive
then "cd /cygdrive/c/rubygems-1.3.3/" and then "ruby setup.rb" and it
will install gems.

5) enter the following command "gem install rails --include-
dependencies"

6) now move to the cappuccino directory , eg. "cd /cygdrive/c/
cappuccino" and do "rake install --trace" . if you do "rake install"
only it will spit out an error about plist... im not sure what this
is..

Now it fails...

steve

May 21, 2009, 7:07:56 AM5/21/09
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
Also, there is no 'sudo' command in cygwin as basically windows has no
permissions (the office machine is a windows XP one, i dunno about
other windows versions), so that will cause errors too, however I
expect there is a way to make a script that simply fakes being sudo.

On May 21, 12:01 pm, steve <steveg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i was writing what i was doing , as i was doing it, so here is what i
> have so far... nothing particularly interesting
>
> 1) I have cygwin installed already, but basically make sure when you
> install it you select the 'git' , 'ruby' and 'gcc' packages to install
> too.
>
> 2) Then go to:http://wiki.github.com/280north/cappuccino/getting-and-building-the-s...

Tom Robinson

May 21, 2009, 7:52:31 AM5/21/09
to objec...@googlegroups.com
I think the first step will be getting Narwhal (a standard library for
JavaScript) to work on Windows. You can run Narwhal by itself right in
the checkout by running External/narwhal/bin/narwhal. That shell
script loads narwhal-rhino (which will eventually be swapped out with
something faster like narwhal-v8), which executes Rhino via java. If
it works it will give you a JS prompt.

Once that is working it shouldn't be too hard to get the rest of the
build process working.

Talk to me in IRC when I'm on if you want some help working through
it. If we're ok with just using Cygwin (for now at least) I can help a
lot.

Thanks,

Tom

Chandler Kent

May 21, 2009, 11:26:52 AM5/21/09
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
In the future, what are some possible alternatives to using Cygwin?

Tom Robinson

May 21, 2009, 3:23:50 PM5/21/09
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Replacing the Unix shell scripts with Windows batch files.

Currently the dependencies of the build tools are:

- narwhal
- java
- rhino
- ruby
- rake
- ruby gems + plist gem
- gcc for the C preprocessor

Ruby and Java run natively on Windows, but I'm not sure about the CPP,
that may need to be replaced.

I think the only other tricky part is dealing with paths.