IE6 .main margins / bug in Template.css?

carsn

Apr 14, 2009, 12:02:36 PM4/14/09
to Object Oriented CSS
Hi Nicole,

I just noticed, that template.html in IE6 shows 3px margins left &
right of the main column.
(just add some bg-color to leftCol, rightCol & main to see)

If I now place an image that spans the whole main column width in my
template, I get my main column dropped down below left&rightCol only
in IE6.

Is this a bug in template.css? Does someone know a way to at least
temporary workaround or IE hack for this?

Thanks for any hint,
Carsten

Divya Manian

Apr 14, 2009, 12:21:41 PM4/14/09
to object-or...@googlegroups.com
On 4/14/09 9:02 AM, "carsn" <carste...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Nicole,
>
> I just noticed, that template.html in IE6 shows 3px margins left &
> right of the main column.
> (just add some bg-color to leftCol, rightCol & main to see)
>
> If I now place an image that spans the whole main column width in my
> template, I get my main column dropped down below left&rightCol only
> in IE6.

Is it possible that IE 6 is using quirks mode[1] to render your HTML?

[1] http://www.quirksmode.org/css/quirksmode.html

- divya
http://nimbupani.com/blog

Nicole Sullivan

Apr 14, 2009, 2:20:14 PM4/14/09
to Object Oriented CSS
Thanks for the bug report Carsten. I found a fix, but can't seem to
push to git right now (hoping that isn't the result of setting up
virtualBox file sharing with XP!)

For now, please change lines 11 & 12. I'll sort out push and get the
code on github asap.

.leftCol{float:left; width:250px;_margin-right:-3px;}
.rightCol{float:right; width: 300px;_margin-left:-3px;}

I've also created a template.css debug file to help w any future
issues.

It seems like the framework needs a wrapper though for items that are
likely to be too big (img, pre, tables?) and crops off any excess.

Cheers,
Nicole

carsten

Apr 15, 2009, 4:57:49 AM4/15/09
to Object Oriented CSS
Cool, thanks a lot for the prompt response - the fix is working
great!

> framework needs a wrapper ... crops off any excess.
Would be pretty useful, I think. For instance in CMS contexts where
editors might be a bit lazy with exact image uploads ; )

> template_debug.css
Nice, will come in handy.

@ Divya: thanks for your hint, as well, but I guess my html doesnt
trigger quirks mode.
Also template.html provided in OOCSS repo is using strict mode & I
used this to reproduce.

Cheers,
Carsten