[Obi-devel] Is supernatant a role?

Alan Ruttenberg

Nov 1, 2007, 12:43:59 PM11/1/07
to OBI_DEV Listserv (E-mail), Barry Smith
Definition from wikipedia:

Supernatant refers to the often clear liquid above non-soluble
solids. These solids may reach the bottom of a container by means of
settling, precipitation, or centrifugation.

Since supernatant can be any of a variety of mixtures of
biomaterials, would it be proper to call supernatant a role?

-Alan

Fostel, Jennifer (NIH/NIEHS) [C]

Nov 1, 2007, 12:46:32 PM11/1/07
to Alan Ruttenberg, OBI_DEV Listserv (E-mail), Barry Smith
supernatant is the outcome of a separation process

Fostel, Jennifer (NIH/NIEHS) [C]

Nov 1, 2007, 12:51:15 PM11/1/07
to Fostel, Jennifer (NIH/NIEHS) [C], Alan Ruttenberg, OBI_DEV Listserv (E-mail), Barry Smith
sorry -- hit the send key
outcomes are roles, so at the moment, supernatant would be a role

Susanna

Nov 1, 2007, 1:05:16 PM11/1/07
to Fostel, Jennifer (NIH/NIEHS) [C], Barry Smith, OBI_DEV Listserv (E-mail)
> outcomes are roles

However if we follow this rule, other terms can be seen as result/outcome of certain processes, e.g. 'mixing process'. In this case:
- lysate (def: A mixture (collection) of cell components created by rupturing of the cell wall)
- emulsion (def: A mixture of immiscible (unblendable) substances, that are finely....ect)
will be role. But this are in the Biomaterial branch at the moment.

Susanna
--
Susanna-Assunta Sansone, PhD

NET Project - Coordinator

www.ebi.ac.uk/net-project

The European Bioinformatics Institute   email:  san...@ebi.ac.uk
EMBL Outstation - Hinxton               direct: +44 (0)1223 494 691
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus            fax: +44 (0)1223 492 620
Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK                  room: A229

frank gibson

Nov 1, 2007, 1:13:09 PM11/1/07
to Susanna, Barry Smith, OBI_DEV Listserv (E-mail)
As Alan suggests and for the reasons he describes supernatant is a role

- lysate (def: A mixture (collection) of cell components created by rupturing of the cell wall)

This is probably a role  although is a bit more complex.

- emulsion (def: A mixture of immiscible (unblendable) substances, that are finely....ect)

emulsion is a state or arrangement of form, so in this sense would not be a role, maybe a quality.

Frank

--
Frank Gibson
Research Associate

Fostel, Jennifer (NIH/NIEHS) [C]

Nov 2, 2007, 8:32:18 AM11/2/07
to Susanna, Barry Smith, OBI_DEV Listserv (E-mail)
yes, but this is not an issue as long as we clearly define what we mean and use different terms.

the original MAGE model converted one biomaterial into another when a process was applied, but some experimental designs are less well-served by this, and have the idea of using one biomaterial undergoing several process but remaining the same animal or specimen.

we have not added supernatant to roles, and are happy to work with folks to make things consistent and unambiguous

Nov 5, 2007, 5:03:51 AM11/5/07
to obi-...@lists.sourceforge.net, Barry Smith
I think the acid test is if something being
a 'lysate', 'emulsion', 'supernatent', 'solvent' and so on are intrinsic to
the substance, or if they are about how it relates to the things arround it.
So - emulsion seems self-contained to me - it's an emulsion because it's a
mixture of a water-based liquid and an oil-based liquid, and the oil is
broken up into very small balls and distributed fairly evenly through the
water. Supernatent seems to require external things - it is a supernatent as
a result of being the bit at the top of a series of substances resulting from
seperating a mixture by a process like centrifugation.

It's as if we need role-like things describing how substances participate in
parts relations. A similar stuation arrises in the case of solvent, solute,
solution - these terms can mean the roles different substances play before or
after mixing, but solvent and solute can also mean the substances that are
currently mixed without appealing to the history of how the solution was
manufactured. So we need a role sense for solvent, and a role-like partonomy
sense for solvent.

Not sure this gets us anywhere :)

Matthew