core terms: hypothesis

Chris Stoeckert

Jan 14, 2009, 3:57:23 PM1/14/09
to obi-denr...@googlegroups.com
Dear Denriers,

hypothesis is currently a role _under_discussion. It is also a tracker
item 1887478 started by Larry Hunter and assigned to Alan.
Larry argues that hypothesis is a type of proposition not a role of a
proposition and suggests that:
biomedical hypothesis "is a proposition regarding the structure and/or
function of one or more classes of organisms or their parts."

Alan points out this raises the issue of where propositions fit in OBI
plus concerns about reflections (OBI is a set of propositions). Larry
had originally suggested importing proposition from some upper level
ontology. In DOLCE, it's under Abstract (which seems most like a
dependent continuant in BFO).

For OBI, I propose that we follow Larry's suggestion and create a
"biomedical hypothesis" entity but put it directly under information
content entity and not worry about propositions at the upper level for
now.

Cheers,
Chris

Bjoern Peters

Jan 15, 2009, 11:55:43 AM1/15/09
to obi-denr...@googlegroups.com
Agree that we need to add 'hypothesis'. I would like to add the general
'hypothesis' rather than the restriction to 'biomedical hypothesis'.
Also, wherever it ends up, 'Conclusion' should be a sibling.

--
Bjoern Peters
Assistant Member