Is O3D still under development?

Peter Alexander

Mar 30, 2010, 10:43:55 PM3/30/10
to O3D-discuss
Is O3D still being developed actively? The issue tracker has hardly
been touched in the last year.

Ernesto

Apr 1, 2010, 4:28:33 AM4/1/10
to O3D-discuss
Yeah,
I have plans to use o3d for my website. So i am a bit anxious too.Is
o3d going forward and getting integrated with chrome browser as
announced. Moreover i dont see any book coming out in market. Is it
going to die?

Regards,
Amit

On Mar 31, 7:43 am, Peter Alexander <peter.alexander...@gmail.com>

Jim3D

Apr 1, 2010, 7:45:56 AM4/1/10
to O3D-discuss
Yes, some sign of life from the O3D team would be greatly
appreciated. :)

Our own project, JIG 3D for O3D, is getting pretty advanced although
still in the ALPHA stage.

Many, many hours have been invested in O3D already by many, many
people. And, for good reason.

However, I'd expect now that the O3D base project has been completed
we are now at a stand off with other initiatives like WebGL.

The market will settle the outcome.

Time will tell, but maybe we can play a part in the outcome/balance.
After all, we ARE the market.

Hence, I think its up to us to push O3D forward to the next phase , at
least in part.

So, what can we do in the mean time?

Do anything to support O3D. Don't hide your O3D related projects. Be a
show off. Create as much activity around O3D as possible.

Get creative.

Regards,
Jim
http://www.jig3d.com/

Peter Alexander

Apr 1, 2010, 8:00:42 AM4/1/10
to O3D-discuss
Ok, so at least I'm not the only one wondering what's going on :)

Note that Google are part of the development of WebGL, so they're not
really at a stand off, but are perhaps just competing for Google's
time. Unfortunately, with WebGL being a standard, and not just a
plugin, it probably is a higher priority for Google at the moment.

I'll certainly do what I can to help O3D, because it is quite a nice
API, and handles all the content importing for you (which WebGL will
not do).

But yes, an official word from Google would certainly be nice.

Nicolas Kassis

Apr 1, 2010, 9:06:51 AM4/1/10
to o3d-d...@googlegroups.com
I agree with you all completely. We just started using O3D for a large project and we are  happy with it although we've already hit a few of the bugs already reported in the tracker.

I think O3D being available as a  official plugin (with commercial entity behind it) on older browsers is a major reason why we choose to go with it instead of WebGL for the moment.

No plugin support with chrome would be awesome.

As for publicizing our project, I hope that it will be possible once it's completed. It's a fairly niche project.

-----------------
Nicolas Kassis

Nicolas Kassis

Apr 8, 2010, 2:44:36 AM4/8/10
to o3d-d...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to revive this thread but I was checking the svn log on the o3d repo and it seems like commits are still being made as of today. I guess while there is no official word, stuff is still happening.

Nic

-----------------
Nicolas Kassis

Jorge Alberto Rodriguez Suarez

Apr 13, 2010, 10:43:12 AM4/13/10
to o3d-d...@googlegroups.com
Would be great to have some comments from Google about this concern.
Jorge A. Rodríguez Suárez
( Continuum CEO & Founder )
+56 9 94330057
Skype: jorge.rodriguez.suarez
Twitter: http://twitter.com/j4rs
http://continuum.cl

"...I believe the biggest impact on successful software development is motivated, talented developers. If you don't have that all the technology and methodology in the world can't help you..." [Martin Fowler]

Jim3D

Apr 13, 2010, 2:43:04 PM4/13/10
to O3D-discuss
Hi

Here is something that you might find of interest:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20001810-264.html?tag=mncol;title

Regards,
Jim
http://www.jig3d.com/