Paymex closes

yeosteve

Sep 17, 2008, 5:54:16 PM9/17/08
to NZ PHP Users Group
I hope nobody has set up client's account with Paymex.

"As at 1:45pm 17th September 2008 Paymex has unfortunately had to
close it's doors. Due to some runaway chargebacks and various legal
issues we've been subsequently forced to stop trading."

I'm off to join DPS

Steve

Bob M Brown

Sep 17, 2008, 6:46:15 PM9/17/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com
As I understand it one of the advantages of Paymex was that there were
no montly fees to accept credit card payments and drop them into your
bank account. To get the same with DPS you need to have a merchant
account with your bank which can cost around $60 per month.

Would be interested in your comments Steve, or to hear how you get on
with DPS. We looked at DPS as a solution a while back and they seemed
sound but we chose Paymex for the cost reasons. Fortunately for us
Paymex's closure will have minimal impact on our operation.

Cheers,

- Bob -

yeosteve

Sep 17, 2008, 7:02:13 PM9/17/08
to NZ PHP Users Group
DPS will be too much for my own site because I don't collect enough
payments to justify the ongoing expense, but my current client really
wants to have the entire transaction done inside their own website, ie
they think their clients won't trust a 3rd party processing company.
DPS and Paymate don't seem to offer this as an option, and Paymex
made it inexpensive and easy, which is probably why they closed.

I'll probably use Paymate for my own site because they do the same
instant funds transfer thing, and try to talk this client into
believing that 3rd party processing is more secure and trustworthy
than anything I can produce. I quite like not having the
responsibility for CC transactions anyway.

Berend de Boer

Sep 17, 2008, 7:03:51 PM9/17/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com

yeosteve> I hope nobody has set up client's account with Paymex.

Wow, was just ready to sign up as they offered some very useful features
that DPS or Secure Paytech didn't have.

--
Cheers,

Berend de Boer

Jochen Daum

Sep 17, 2008, 7:07:25 PM9/17/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:02 AM, yeosteve <yeos...@gmail.com> wrote:

DPS will be too much for my own site because I don't collect enough
payments to justify the ongoing expense, but my current client really
wants to have the entire transaction done inside their own website, ie
they think their clients won't trust a 3rd party processing company.
DPS and Paymate don't seem to offer this as an option,

yes they do. Its called PXPost.

Kind regards,

Jochen

Philip Arndt

Sep 17, 2008, 7:08:16 PM9/17/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com
> but my current client really
> wants to have the entire transaction done inside their own website, ie
> they think their clients won't trust a 3rd party processing company.
> DPS and Paymate don't seem to offer this as an option, and Paymex
> made it inexpensive and easy, which is probably why they closed.

This is simply not true.
I've got a site running currently that has DPS integrated right into
the GUI!
All that it requires is that you place their logo on the page that
does it.
Have a look at their "PXPost" option!

Or is this not what you meant?

yeosteve

Sep 17, 2008, 7:10:49 PM9/17/08
to NZ PHP Users Group
Thanks,

I'll check this out

Harvey Kane

Sep 17, 2008, 7:59:54 PM9/17/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com
The problem with DPS is that you need a merchant account. Take DPS's $50
per month, add an extra $20 or so per month from the bank, and 4-6% for
each transaction, and you have a payment system that simply isn't
feasible for sites doing less than about $1 - 2k per month.

Paymex with their 3% fee (or thereabouts) with no minimum monthly charge
was perfect for low-turnover sites, and they accepted Amex too. But the
big carrot for me was not having to deal with all the beaurocracy and
dicking around in getting a merchant account working with the bank
(largely because this part of the process requires client input, but
also because banks are old-school and want to so everything by fax /
post and during business hours).

I run a number of niche sites that process a small amount of $ each
month, and have been using PayPal for tthe small ones and SecurePayTech
for the bigger ones. Losing Paymex is definitely going to cost me sales,
as I convert these sites back to PayPal-only. I guess I'm glad this news
came now rather than in a couple of months time, at this stage I only
have a few Paymex sites but was looking to install many more.

RIP Paymex, and by the way thanks for the 0 day notice period :(
Don't suppose I'll be seeing my $49 back from the new site I setup last
week either :(

Harvey.

James McGlinn

Sep 17, 2008, 8:22:38 PM9/17/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com
On 18/09/2008, at 11:07 AM, Jochen Daum wrote:

> DPS will be too much for my own site because I don't collect enough
> payments to justify the ongoing expense, but my current client really
> wants to have the entire transaction done inside their own website, ie
> they think their clients won't trust a 3rd party processing company.
> DPS and Paymate don't seem to offer this as an option,
>
> yes they do. Its called PXPost.

Jochen's right. However, most of the banks won't let you set up 2
party transaction processing anymore unless you're ready to get PCIDSS
compliant.

Kind regards,
James McGlinn
__________________________________
CTO
Eventfinder Limited
Suite 106 Heards Building
2 Ruskin St, Parnell, Auckland 1052
Phone: 021 633 234 | 09 365 5132

www.eventfinder.co.nz | www.thehive.co.nz | gigs.co.nz

James McGlinn

Sep 17, 2008, 8:26:17 PM9/17/08
to PHP Users Group List Group List
On 18/09/2008, at 12:22 PM, James McGlinn wrote:

> Jochen's right. However, most of the banks won't let you set up 2
> party transaction processing anymore unless you're ready to get
> PCIDSS compliant.

By the way, as with everything you get what you pay for.

DPS aren't the cheapest but their systems are incredible - absolutely
world class. They're great people to work with too.

If anyone's considering providers and you have the transaction volume
to justify it commercially I'd highly recommend them.

Jochen Daum

Sep 17, 2008, 8:29:49 PM9/17/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:22 PM, James McGlinn <james....@gmail.com> wrote:

On 18/09/2008, at 11:07 AM, Jochen Daum wrote:

> DPS will be too much for my own site because I don't collect enough
> payments to justify the ongoing expense, but my current client really
> wants to have the entire transaction done inside their own website, ie
> they think their clients won't trust a 3rd party processing company.
> DPS and Paymate don't seem to offer this as an option,
>
> yes they do. Its called PXPost.

Jochen's right.  However, most of the banks won't let you set up 2
party transaction processing anymore unless you're ready to get PCIDSS
compliant.

Thats the first time I heard of this, yet we've not been looking at E-Commerce for a while. When I read up on the compliance on Wikipedia, it sounds like most issues should be covered by DPS and your ISP. Do you have examples of what is necessary for compliance?

Jochen

chris burgess

Sep 17, 2008, 8:52:27 PM9/17/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com
Pricewise, you might look at Web2Pay / Flo2Cash, who I recently set up a couple of systems with for a client. They seem very well placed for cost, and their support team are quite responsive.

I'd be interested in other peoples experiences with Web2Pay / Flo2Cash (sorry, I get confused which is their brand and which the product). Anyone else have a report?

That said, DPS are excellent, but the additional cost of a merchant account does add to the equation (and setup).

Berend de Boer

Sep 17, 2008, 8:52:24 PM9/17/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com

James> By the way, as with everything you get what you pay for.

Not true, as with DPS some websites simply aren't feasible. So we all
have to go back to PayPal now.

Michael

Sep 17, 2008, 6:53:53 PM9/17/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com

> RIP Paymex, and by the way thanks for the 0 day notice period :(
> Don't suppose I'll be seeing my $49 back from the new site I setup last
> week either :(

The implication is that the plug was pulled by their merchant-acquiring bank.

This speculation is further compounded by the reference to lots of
chargebacks.

mtcw.

Michael

Michael

Sep 17, 2008, 7:05:31 PM9/17/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com
> Thats the first time I heard of this, yet we've not been looking at
> E-Commerce for a while. When I read up on the compliance on Wikipedia, it
> sounds like most issues should be covered by DPS and your ISP. Do you have
> examples of what is necessary for compliance?

In a nutshell (and for a low volume merchant)

Answering 'yes' to every one of several pages of questions, some are very
sensible and obvious and some are bordering on being irrelevant in many
instances, like for example - your server(s) must have regular virus scans,
which in effect means running a virus-scanner on a *nix machine while
scanning for Windows viruses. However 'N/A' is not an option to answer any
question except for the ones around Wireless.

And then there's the issue of liability. You'd want to look at $10-million
insurance for each card scheme you accept (Visa, Mcard, Amex etc).

In short I would strongly advise any small company who doesn't already have a
legacy 2-party facility not to bother even starting on this track.

On that subject I am aware there is an individual offering several thousand
dollars to buy a ltd company entity with a 2-party facility. This should
further put this matter into perspective.

mtcw-

Michael

Philip Arndt

Sep 17, 2008, 9:09:48 PM9/17/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com
You could try ASB's Pago service if it is for NZ customers:

http://www.pago.co.nz/section286.aspx

Cheers,

Phil

.Net2Php

Sep 17, 2008, 10:54:14 PM9/17/08
to NZ PHP Users Group
Just spoke to https://www.paymentexpress.com/ as I am also affected by
Paymex shutdown. They are offering to waive their $150 setup fee for
existing Paymex customers.

On Sep 18, 1:09 pm, Philip Arndt <ph...@arndt.co.nz> wrote:
> You could try ASB's Pago service if it is for NZ customers:
>
> http://www.pago.co.nz/section286.aspx
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil

Stig Manning

Sep 18, 2008, 12:59:29 AM9/18/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I am now in Melbourne, Australia, and I was pleasantly surprised to find
that my new workplace (big Melbourne digital agency) is a DPS reseller.
DPS now have an Australian office and big clients over here too.

+1 DPS here

-Stig

phlux0r

Sep 18, 2008, 3:58:23 PM9/18/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com
There is also Paystation (http://paystation.co.nz) who provide the same
service as DPS but a little cheaper. You still need the merchant account
etc...

Regards,
Robert

Dennis Smith

Sep 18, 2008, 4:58:02 PM9/18/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com
There's also Flo2Cash (http://www.flo2cash.co.nz/ ) who have an interesting pay-by-phone service on top of some pretty classy systems as far as I can see. I understand that they also the first here to bundle the bank fees into a one-stop-shop. One to watch.
--
Regards
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Enform

Sep 18, 2008, 10:45:56 PM9/18/08
to NZ PHP Users Group
Hello NZ PHP Usergroup,

The assets of Paymex were sold through the Paymex liquidator to Enform
and we will now be offering the Paymex service as it was previously
set-up.

We are working on getting the system up and running by the middle of
next week, the process should stay the same, but we will be doing
further development as we move forward.

All clients will be contacted as we move forward.

Any questions until we have the paymex email working again can be
directed to sup...@enform.co.nz

Thanks,

Enform Support.

On Sep 19, 8:58 am, "Dennis Smith" <victusinambi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's also Flo2Cash (http://www.flo2cash.co.nz/) who have an interesting

Chris Burgess

Oct 2, 2008, 7:36:26 AM10/2/08
to NZ PHP Users Group
On Sep 18, 1:52 pm, "chris burgess" <xurizae...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pricewise, you might look at Web2Pay / Flo2Cash, who I recently set up a
> couple of systems with for a client. They seem very well placed for cost,
> and their support team are quite responsive.
>
> I'd be interested in other peoples experiences with Web2Pay / Flo2Cash
> (sorry, I get confused which is their brand and which the product). Anyone
> else have a report?

Excuse me! May I withdraw my recommendation that people risk using
Flo2cash please?

A nonprofit I work with (established user of Flo2Cash before asking me
to help set up a CiviCRM payment processor for them) ran a successful
targetted email campaign to their members yesterday.

Flo2Cash, incredibly, mistakenly had a set limit of 100 daily
transactions on said client's account. Campaign was a roaring success,
but after the first 100 transactions the payment processor threw its
toys out of the cot and went to sleep. Result: furious client, staring
at the hole where their money stopped mid morning.

Putting a hold on a sudden spike in transactions, perhaps. But just
failing them? Wow.

Flo2Cash staff are indeed friendly and helpful in the extreme, but
well-meaning doesn't cut it when you make mistakes like this. My
experience to date had me already asking questions of their
professionality (perhaps detectable in the tone of my post above). I'd
seen bugs in the supplied sample code, erratic checksum failures,
undocumented "product name too long" errors causing transactions to
fail, that sort of thing. Foolishly I thought we'd ironed that all out
in testing. I should have spotted the pattern for what it meant.

Worst part (for me, anyway) is that, despite my reservations (and
those reported to me by a volunteer developer working on an Ubercart
processor for same charity), I didn't put my foot down and say "look,
these guys can't get it right, let's use someone who we know works".
My job as a consultant is to prevent this crap by refusing to go for
second best.

Non-profits can be very cost-conscious, but saving pennies on a less
professional service provider rarely pays dividends. (As I type this,
I can see the first line of James's next post in this thread says "you
get what you pay for". Ouch.)

Ok, rant over, lesson learned. Hope you don't mind me sharing. I'm
still looking for field reports from other Flo2Cash customers :)

Craig Boxall

Oct 2, 2008, 4:03:47 PM10/2/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com
Ouch Chris, sorry to hear about that!

There is nothing worse than a pre-defined decision being made in your
own realm before you start that then goes awry.

+1 for DPS. Been using them for a few years now and never had any
issues with any of the services I've developed for.

m2c

Cheers
Craig

Berend de Boer

Oct 2, 2008, 5:40:41 PM10/2/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com

Chris> Excuse me! May I withdraw my recommendation that people risk
Chris> using Flo2cash please?

Chris, I really appreciate this follow up.

chris burgess

Oct 2, 2008, 6:23:17 PM10/2/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Berend, it's good to know that the post was welcomed.

I was in two minds about posting - first off, it's not the best look when something goes wrong on your watch; second, I didn't want to act unprofessionally by making public accusations. However, it would be a worse omission on my part to have suggested you and others consider their service, and then fail to pass on experiences like this one.

I'm making a conscious effort to represent only the details, rather than my own speculations / opinions about Flo2Cash; here's hoping I've succeeded in doing so. I know the tone of my previous post wasn't strictly factual, but I think the amount of frustration which leaked through was pretty fractional, all things considered :)

Rex Johnston

Oct 2, 2008, 6:29:01 PM10/2/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com
This sort of experience can save many hours of frustration.

My recent experience is that now that Paymex is back up and running,

1) Paymex pro is no go, so 2 party processing has gone AWOL.

2) Only NZD accepted.

I've had to switch the client to Paypal.

Don Gould

Oct 2, 2008, 8:27:14 PM10/2/08
to nzp...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to see a wiki page about payment gateways in NZ.

Chris I see nothing wrong with your posts at all.

I would not feel bad that it went pear shape on your watch. From what
you have said you had no proof that it wasn't a good plan other than a
gut feeling.

I think your job is to sort it out as quickly and painlessly as
possible. Your ability to get back on track is what I'd be measuring
your performance on.

I think you've also done the community a good service by giving us the
heads up that:

1. Flo2cash have a 'spike detector' in their system that they clearly
haven't made customers fully aware of.

2. We should all be talking to our payment gateway providers in advance
is we know of anything that may spike traffic.

3. A site that has a mission critical component such as a payment
gateway needs to have a good disaster recovery plan in place so as to
NOT miss out on business.

Cheers Don