ssl connections stall, disconnect and the nzbperl quits

Frédéric

Jul 9, 2008, 11:01:26 AM7/9/08
to nzbperl
My news provider is hitnews and I getting this problem with ssl :

During the first minutes the download is ok but afterwoards the
connections' speed drop to zero. Then the connections close and
nzbperl quits.

Is it related to the provider ?
Is my download machine too slow (p2 433 with 320 Mo RAM) ?

Andrey Falko

Jul 9, 2008, 11:28:03 AM7/9/08
to nzb...@googlegroups.com

I get the same thing on a Quad Core Phenom with newshosting. So I
think it might have something to do with nzbperl not automatically
accepting the ssl cert. I read this in a google groups post, but can't
find the link right now. The work around was to use stunnel. You
create an stunnel connection to your newsgroups provider, then use
plaintext and connect to the secure connection. This did not work well
for me, I lost a lot of performance (more than 2x) and I had the
problem where the stunnel connections would break and I'd have to
alway restart stunnel and thing like that.

Good luck, let us know what solution, if any, you find.

Jason Plumb

Jul 10, 2008, 1:41:42 AM7/10/08
to nzb...@googlegroups.com
Andrey Falko wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 8:01 AM, Frédéric <brange...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My news provider is hitnews and I getting this problem with ssl :
[snip]

> I get the same thing on a Quad Core Phenom with newshosting. So I
> think it might have something to do with nzbperl not automatically
> accepting the ssl cert.

I can't explain it, but the fact that Frédéric said it was working for a
few minutes seems to indicate that it's probably *not* nzbperl rejecting
the ssl cert.

If other clients work fine with SSL and that provider, then it's almost
certainly nzbperl's fault. I'd also make sure you've got the latest SSL
perl module...

I'm interested in what people find out.

-jason

Andrey Falko

Jul 10, 2008, 2:59:18 AM7/10/08
to nzb...@googlegroups.com

I actually remembered the exact problem I had....I was seeing much
lower than usual speeds when using nzbperl with ssl. A drop of
performance from 2 megs per second to .5 - .7 megs per second. I saw
the problem Frédéric is seeing when I used stunnel. Sorry about the
confusion guys.
My SSL perl module version was: 1.12 . I upgraded to 1.13, but there
is no difference.

Frédéric, what port are you using to connect via ssl?

Frédéric

Jul 10, 2008, 7:38:22 AM7/10/08
to nzbperl
My provider (hitnews.eu) ports are 563 and 995, and none of them work.

My ssl perl module was my current ubuntu gutsy package (1.02). I
installed 1.13 using CPAN and it solves nothing. I'm sending a mail to
my provider to see if this is a known issue at their side

Frédéric

Jul 10, 2008, 3:23:54 PM7/10/08
to nzbperl
I do work now.
Strange...

I will post what their tech support will say about it

Andrey Falko

Jul 10, 2008, 3:26:51 PM7/10/08
to nzb...@googlegroups.com
On 7/10/08, Frédéric <brange...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I do work now.
> Strange...

yes this is strange, are you experienceing good performance?

Frédéric

Jul 11, 2008, 8:20:38 AM7/11/08
to nzbperl

> yes this is strange, are you experienceing good performance?

Yes, as fast as I could get from a newsgroup connection through my isp
lines (e.g quite fast :) )

Frédéric

Jul 11, 2008, 1:57:26 PM7/11/08
to nzbperl
Damn, false positive :( Actually it still doesn"t work