Scott Watson

Roger Dewhurst

Nov 15, 2007, 3:38:14 PM11/15/07
Trial By Trickery.
Scott Watson, the Sounds Murders and the Game of Law.
By Keith Hunter.
$29.99 at Whitcoulls.

I wonder if Rob Pope has the balls to sue the author. He does not quite say
so but perhaps it should be Pope doing a seven year stretch and definitely
not being Deputy Police Commissioner.

Will Spencer

Nov 15, 2007, 3:42:38 PM11/15/07
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 09:38:14 +1300, Roger Dewhurst wrote:

> Trial By Trickery.
> Scott Watson, the Sounds Murders and the Game of Law.
> By Keith Hunter.
> $29.99 at Whitcoulls.
>
> I wonder if Rob Pope has the balls to sue the author.

He doesn't even have the balls to read it. The author explained on his
website that he had sent Pope a complimenatry copy and it was returned
unopened.

-ws

frederick

Nov 15, 2007, 3:49:51 PM11/15/07

Barry Lennox

Nov 15, 2007, 3:51:14 PM11/15/07
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 09:42:38 +1300, Will Spencer <wi...@nospam.ivalid>
wrote:

Furthermore he claims "there's nothing new in it" This bugger must
be psychic, so , I guess that's how he "knows" that Watson is guilty.

Imagine that, we are the first Police force in the world to be blessed
with a psychic cop of high rank. Think how much money. time and
effort that will save the country.

Brent Faraway

Nov 15, 2007, 3:58:37 PM11/15/07
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 09:38:14 +1300, "Roger Dewhurst"
<dewh...@wave.co.nz> wrote:

Keith Hunter's site has some pretty good stuff.
http://www.hunterproductions.co.nz/index.htm

I liked reading the letters Hunter threw at officialdom:
http://www.hunterproductions.co.nz/news.htm

peterwn

Nov 15, 2007, 5:00:58 PM11/15/07

The book would have been legally checked and any 'sting' that amounts
to defamation removed. There are many ways of saying things that does
not amount to defamation.

The two cops who tried to sue over a Bain book merely ended up with
egg on their faces.

Rob Pope's best thing to do is just to get on with life. Conspiracy
theorists the world over can often only justify their arguments by
accusing the authorities of tampering whether it be criminal evidence
or images of UFO's.

This Marlborough sounds case, unlike the Bain case has no alternative
idntified suspect, except perhaps the occupant of that mysterious boat
that passed in the night - the one with allegedly a different number
of masts from Scott Watson's boat.

The one thing that I thought was grossly unfair was the assault charge
when he went stir-crazy in the Blenheim police cells during
depositions hearings. IMO either such cases should only be heard
where there are proper custody facilities, or the Government should
direct Corrections to provide a Portacom cell with proper facilities
and guards during such hearings.

Ginger Bear

Nov 15, 2007, 5:07:39 PM11/15/07

On the other hand we'd have to spend a fortune on stakes, oil and
faggots to keep the fires fed.

Roger Dewhurst

Nov 15, 2007, 5:24:02 PM11/15/07

"peterwn" <pet...@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message

> On Nov 16, 9:38 am, "Roger Dewhurst" <dewhu...@wave.co.nz> wrote:
>> Trial By Trickery.
>> Scott Watson, the Sounds Murders and the Game of Law.
>> By Keith Hunter.
>> $29.99 at Whitcoulls.
>>
>> I wonder if Rob Pope has the balls to sue the author. He does not quite
>> say
>> so but perhaps it should be Pope doing a seven year stretch and
>> definitely
>> not being Deputy Police Commissioner.
>>

> The book would have been legally checked and any 'sting' that amounts
> to defamation removed. There are many ways of saying things that does
> not amount to defamation.

Apparently Hunter had to publish the book himself because no other publisher
would touch it for fear of a libel action. In my view the author is
inviting both Pope and the prosecution lawyers to sue him for libel.

> The two cops who tried to sue over a Bain book merely ended up with
> egg on their faces.
>
> Rob Pope's best thing to do is just to get on with life. Conspiracy
> theorists the world over can often only justify their arguments by
> accusing the authorities of tampering whether it be criminal evidence
> or images of UFO's.
>
> This Marlborough sounds case, unlike the Bain case has no alternative
> idntified suspect, except perhaps the occupant of that mysterious boat
> that passed in the night - the one with allegedly a different number
> of masts from Scott Watson's boat.

Clearly you have not read the book or examined the web site.

As Wallace is reported to have said "The only thing in common between the
two boats is that they floated", or words to that effect.

a_l_p

Nov 15, 2007, 5:33:27 PM11/15/07
Think of the TV series! "That's _Inspector_ Psychic To You" !

A L P

colp

Nov 15, 2007, 6:15:55 PM11/15/07
On Nov 16, 11:00 am, peterwn <pete...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> On Nov 16, 9:38 am, "Roger Dewhurst" <dewhu...@wave.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > Trial By Trickery.
> > Scott Watson, the Sounds Murders and the Game of Law.
> > By Keith Hunter.
> > $29.99 at Whitcoulls.
>
> > I wonder if Rob Pope has the balls to sue the author. He does not quite say
> > so but perhaps it should be Pope doing a seven year stretch and definitely
> > not being Deputy Police Commissioner.
>
> The book would have been legally checked and any 'sting' that amounts
> to defamation removed. There are many ways of saying things that does
> not amount to defamation.
>
> The two cops who tried to sue over a Bain book merely ended up with
> egg on their faces.
>
> Rob Pope's best thing to do is just to get on with life. Conspiracy
> theorists the world over can often only justify their arguments by
> accusing the authorities of tampering whether it be criminal evidence
> or images of UFO's.

That's were the trail ends. The only physical evidence (a hair with
DNA matching that of Olivia Smart) was taken from Watson's yacht by
the police on a second inspection of a rug. Planted evidence was a
factor with Arthur Allan Thomas and also most probably with David
Tamihere (Urban Hoglin's watch).

KiwiBrian

Nov 15, 2007, 7:06:15 PM11/15/07

"colp" <co...@solder.ath.cx> wrote

> Planted evidence was a
> factor .... most probably with David Tamihere (Urban Hoglin's watch).

I would welcome further comment on this.
Peter Metcalfe perhaps....

Barry Lennox

Nov 15, 2007, 7:25:20 PM11/15/07
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 11:24:02 +1300, "Roger Dewhurst"
<dewh...@wave.co.nz> wrote:

>"peterwn" <pet...@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
>> On Nov 16, 9:38 am, "Roger Dewhurst" <dewhu...@wave.co.nz> wrote:
>>> Trial By Trickery.
>>> Scott Watson, the Sounds Murders and the Game of Law.
>>> By Keith Hunter.
>>> $29.99 at Whitcoulls.
>>>
>>> I wonder if Rob Pope has the balls to sue the author. He does not quite
>>> say
>>> so but perhaps it should be Pope doing a seven year stretch and
>>> definitely
>>> not being Deputy Police Commissioner.
>>>

>> The book would have been legally checked and any 'sting' that amounts
>> to defamation removed. There are many ways of saying things that does
>> not amount to defamation.
>
>Apparently Hunter had to publish the book himself because no other publisher
>would touch it for fear of a libel action. In my view the author is
>inviting both Pope and the prosecution lawyers to sue him for libel.

That's what the N&S article states. But, IMO, he would have been
foolhardy not to have it checked out by a defamation lawyer, and/or
put his affairs in such order so as to only "own the shirt on his
back" Then let them sue!

colp

Nov 15, 2007, 8:17:12 PM11/15/07
On Nov 16, 1:06 pm, "KiwiBrian" <brian...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> "colp" <c...@solder.ath.cx> wrote

It was claimed in court that Tamihere gave Hoglin's watch to his son,
even though the watch was found an Hoglin's body.

According to Grant McLachlan, the police searched Tamihere's house and
'found' a watch matching the description of Urban's.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10461169
http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2007/05/david_bain_gets_a_retrial.html

george

Nov 15, 2007, 10:35:18 PM11/15/07

They found Urban Hoglins watch on his body when they recovered it much
much later.
The watch the police claimed David Tamihere had was another watch
altogether

Bryan Quigley

Nov 16, 2007, 12:21:25 AM11/16/07

Who do we burn when we run out of faggots?

BQ.

sam

Nov 16, 2007, 2:41:15 AM11/16/07

bigots

Bryan Quigley

Nov 16, 2007, 5:14:27 AM11/16/07

Cool, an inexhaustible supply...

BQ.

colp

Nov 16, 2007, 4:15:12 PM11/16/07

Yep. The similarity of the two watches could have been a simple
coincidence. But the fact that the watch was the only physical
evidence which linked Tamihere to the murders (as opposed to the theft
of their car, which Tamihere admitted) and also that the bodies were
foung 70km away from where the police alleged that the murders were
committed strongly suggests more than simple coincidence.

absolu...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2007, 9:42:06 PM11/21/07

Steve B

Dec 30, 2007, 5:05:56 PM12/30/07
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:14:27 +1300, Bryan Quigley <br...@actrix.co.nz>
wrote:

>>> Who do we burn when we run out of faggots?
>>>

>>> BQ.
>>

>> bigots
>
>Cool, an inexhaustible supply...

If we ever run out of them, we could start on the braggarts.

And in view of the psychic tone of the discussion it would be of great
interest to see how much energy you could extract from a boggart - if
you ever managed to tie one down.

According to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boggart

"bogan" is an acceptable synonym; or possibly substitute.

But let's not be unfair to the Brownies.

Steve B.