School terms.

Karen Hayward

Jul 12, 2002, 12:02:49 AM7/12/02
Since I left NZ, they brought in the new 4 term things...or so I'm led
to believe. What are the dates for the new format?

From memory, aren't kids able to start kindy at 3 1/2 ?

Christina and co arrive back in NZ on Aug 2nd and Sacha turns 5 in
early September. Young Logan is 3 1/2 and she wants to get them into
kindy as soon as possible after arriving home.

Karen Hayward

Mark Bondurant

Jul 12, 2002, 12:19:21 AM7/12/02
In article <jrksiu8kgvdf89tif...@4ax.com>, "Karen Hayward"
<kiwi...@yellowsub.net> wrote:

Karen, I am soooo (wait let met add a few more "o"s) oooo jealous. I
have to wait for the stupid FBI report before I can move on to the next
phase. I am so far away (from everybody's gripes and problems).

Mark

richard

Jul 12, 2002, 12:34:14 AM7/12/02
In article <jrksiu8kgvdf89tif...@4ax.com>, Karen Hayward wrote:
> Since I left NZ, they brought in the new 4 term things...or so I'm led
> to believe. What are the dates for the new format?

My kids go back for term 3 on Monday, and according to my diary the dates
look like this:

Term 3 July 15 - September 20
Term 4 October 7 - December 13

HTH :)

Cheers

Cath

Jul 12, 2002, 12:52:55 AM7/12/02

Isn't it kids can be enrolled at kindy at age 2 [or is it 3]?
Then just sit back and wait till there is a vacancy.

I hope the days of some kindys being unable to start kids till around
the age of 4-1/2 yo are now gone.

Cath

Nelly

Jul 12, 2002, 1:05:15 AM7/12/02
On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:02:49 -0700, Karen Hayward
<kiwi...@yellowsub.net> wrote:

It is best to enrol a child as soon as they turn 2 in this case
Christina will need to get along to the kindy and have a talk to them.
Up at our local kindy when I was on the committee a few months ago
they were taking in some as young as 3 yrs 2 mths and if there is a
space a child can start as young as 3.

School terms for this year as follows...

Term 1 Wednesday 30 January to Thursday 28 March (82 half-days)
Term 2 Monday 15 April to Friday 28 June (106 half-days)
Term 3 Monday 15 July to Friday 20 September (100 half-days)
Term 4 Monday 7 October to Thursday 19 December (106 half-days) *

* Or to a day in December which ensures that the school has been open
for instruction for 394 half-days in 2002.

For 2003...

Term 1 Wednesday 29 January to Friday 11 April (104 half-days)
Term 2 Monday 28 April to Friday 4 July (98 half-days)
Term 3 Monday 21 July to Friday 19 September (90 half-days)
Term 4 Monday 6 October to Tuesday 16 December (102 half-days) *

* Or to a day in December which ensures that the school has been open
for instruction for 394 half-days in 2003.

Nelly.
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :-)

Kerry

Jul 12, 2002, 3:35:44 AM7/12/02
On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:02:49 -0700, Karen Hayward
<kiwi...@yellowsub.net> wrote:

You get into public kindergartens in the order you sign up. You sign
up when your child is 2, and by the time they are 3.5 they should have
worked their way up to the top of the list.

Some kindergartens make allowances for kids whose names arent on the
waiting list, some don;t. People get very tetchy about it

Go to Playcentre instead

But we now seem to have a media that is not intellectually equipped
to ask questions about any issues other than populist issues.
Not that 'paintergate' or GM are really populist issues; they are
populist issues manufactured by a media that prefers populist
issues, personality issues,and cover-ups to intelligent analysis.

Keith Rankin

Lazza

Jul 12, 2002, 9:50:35 AM7/12/02
Kids can now start kindy at 2.

From my experience you're better off passing up on kindy. With so many mums
working kindys are now a cheap creche. Even kids with whooping cough are
sent to kindy regardless, because mums at work. Our kindy even had a scarlet
fever out break.

My daugher has been bitten, spat on, kicked, pushed around, and had sand
RUBBED into her eyes. She learned disrespect, spitting, biting and swearing
in 2 weeks at kindergarten. She's not going back!

NZ society is in a downward spiral and the cause is the parents. Our young
are increasingly demanding, rude, arrogant, disrespectful and less
articulate. We are even falling behind Eastern Block European countries in
areas of academic achievement.

"Kindergarten" meaning "the childrens garden", a beautiful concept but far
reality.

If you really care about how your kids develop, have them do it somewhere
else!

"Karen Hayward" <kiwi...@yellowsub.net> wrote in message

Kerry

Jul 12, 2002, 10:39:22 AM7/12/02
On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 01:50:35 +1200, "Lazza" <nob...@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>Kids can now start kindy at 2.
>
>From my experience you're better off passing up on kindy. With so many mums
>working kindys are now a cheap creche. Even kids with whooping cough are
>sent to kindy regardless, because mums at work. Our kindy even had a scarlet
>fever out break.

Anywhere can have an outbreak of streptococcal infection. Anywhere
that humans are in close contact will pose particular risks for
'outbreaks'.

Whooping cough is a cough. Parents aren't able to diagnose it. It is
very common for children to have coughs, and coughs often last a long
time.

You cannot blame a kindergarten for any of that.

And kindergartens have always been teachers based and structured, so I
don't understand your 'just a cheap creche'. It isn't true anyway.

>My daugher has been bitten, spat on, kicked, pushed around, and had sand
>RUBBED into her eyes. She learned disrespect, spitting, biting and swearing
>in 2 weeks at kindergarten. She's not going back!

Good idea. It's not what the kindergarten teaches however.

>NZ society is in a downward spiral and the cause is the parents. Our young
>are increasingly demanding, rude, arrogant, disrespectful and less
>articulate. We are even falling behind Eastern Block European countries in
>areas of academic achievement.

Got any evidence for any of that?

>"Kindergarten" meaning "the childrens garden", a beautiful concept but far
>reality.
>
>If you really care about how your kids develop, have them do it somewhere
>else!

What are you going to do? Find an expensive creche where the kids do
silly stuff with sand and still swear?

Lazza

Jul 13, 2002, 3:04:08 AM7/13/02

"Kerry" <ker...@remove.this.bit.ihug.co.nz> wrote in message

> On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 01:50:35 +1200, "Lazza" <nob...@yahoo.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> >Kids can now start kindy at 2.
> >
> >From my experience you're better off passing up on kindy. With so many
mums
> >working kindys are now a cheap creche. Even kids with whooping cough are
> >sent to kindy regardless, because mums at work. Our kindy even had a
scarlet
> >fever out break.
>
> Anywhere can have an outbreak of streptococcal infection. Anywhere
> that humans are in close contact will pose particular risks for
> 'outbreaks'.

No, you are wrong an outbreak cannot happen 'anywhere' humans are in close
contact, please provide evidence of this.
The point is 'negligent' parents don't care about the risks they impose on
others, and place ill children in these close contact situations.

>>Whooping cough is a cough. Parents aren't able to diagnose it. It is
> very common for children to have coughs, and coughs often last a long
> time.

Whooping cough is not just a cough. It is very serious in infants, and when
it appears it is very obviously not just a cough. It is serious enough to
warrant being included in NZ's vaccination program. It is easily diagnosed
by a qualified paediatrician, easily distinguished from JUST A COUGH, and
can be fatal ... http://www.drgreene.com/21_46.html No we couldn't diagnose
it. But thats not expected of us anway. We suspected it and the
paediatrician did the diagnosing, thats what they're for. It was so obvious
we can name the boy she caught it from.

> You cannot blame a kindergarten for any of that.

I said "the cause is the parents".

> And kindergartens have always been teachers based and structured, so I
> don't understand your 'just a cheap creche'. It isn't true anyway.

Cheap meaning $1 per session, I don't know where you're from but thats cheap
compared to paid creche care here, yes this IS TRUE.

> >My daugher has been bitten, spat on, kicked, pushed around, and had sand
> >RUBBED into her eyes. She learned disrespect, spitting, biting and
swearing
> >in 2 weeks at kindergarten. She's not going back!
>
> Good idea. It's not what the kindergarten teaches however.

You are missing the whole point, that SOCIETY and PARENTS are not putting
the effort in.

>>NZ society is an a downward spiral and the cause is the parents. Our young

> >are increasingly demanding, rude, arrogant, disrespectful and less
> >articulate. We are even falling behind Eastern Block European countries
in
> >areas of academic achievement.
>
> Got any evidence for any of that?

Yes I do, start here:
http://4brevard.com/choice/international-test-scores.htm

>>Kindergarten" meaning "the childrens garden", a beautiful concept but far

from reality.

> >If you really care about how your kids develop, have them do it somewhere
> >else!
>
> What are you going to do? Find an expensive creche where the kids do
> silly stuff with sand and still swear?

No, she will not be attending kindergarten again.
If you think the average kindergarten in other countries experience this
sort of dysfunctional behaviour you are very naive, and part of the problem
in this country: ignorance and apathy.

Kerry

Jul 13, 2002, 9:02:43 AM7/13/02
On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 19:04:08 +1200, "Lazza" <nob...@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>"Kerry" <ker...@remove.this.bit.ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 01:50:35 +1200, "Lazza" <nob...@yahoo.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Kids can now start kindy at 2.
>> >
>> >From my experience you're better off passing up on kindy. With so many
>mums
>> >working kindys are now a cheap creche. Even kids with whooping cough are
>> >sent to kindy regardless, because mums at work. Our kindy even had a
>scarlet
>> >fever out break.
>>
>> Anywhere can have an outbreak of streptococcal infection. Anywhere
>> that humans are in close contact will pose particular risks for
>> 'outbreaks'.
>
>No, you are wrong an outbreak cannot happen 'anywhere' humans are in close
>contact, please provide evidence of this.

Go and look up scarlet fever and then tell me what you need for
scarlet fever outbreaks.

Just a hint, the first thing would be humans in close contact.

>The point is 'negligent' parents don't care about the risks they impose on
>others, and place ill children in these close contact situations.

Maybe they didn;t know they had scarlet fever. Everyone is infectious
for some days *before* the symptoms arise. Scarlet fever is a throat
infection. Lots of children get throat infections, most of them are
viral.

>>>Whooping cough is a cough. Parents aren't able to diagnose it. It is
>> very common for children to have coughs, and coughs often last a long
>> time.
>
>Whooping cough is not just a cough.

Actually in most children whooping cough is a protracted cough. So
are many viral diseases. Most people have a diagnosis of whooping
cough only after several weeks of coughing, it is a diagnosis of
hindsight.

> It is very serious in infants, and when
>it appears it is very obviously not just a cough.

Youa re talking about children at kindergarten aren't you? I know
exactly what whooping cough is in infants, but thats not what you were
saying. In preschoolers it is most commonly a protracted cough,
sometimes with whoop, soemtimes not.

> It is serious enough to
>warrant being included in NZ's vaccination program. It is easily diagnosed
>by a qualified paediatrician, easily distinguished from JUST A COUGH, and
>can be fatal .

That is quite incorrect. It can be very difficult to distinguish
pertussus from any other viral cough, especially among the immunised.

Soo everyone with a child at kindergarten with a cough should stay
home the month or two it may take for that cough to go away? Just in
case its whooping cough?

>No we couldn't diagnose
>it. But thats not expected of us anway. We suspected it and the
>paediatrician did the diagnosing, thats what they're for. It was so obvious
>we can name the boy she caught it from.

Well he may have had a classicla whoop, lots of children don't though.
How many coughing children do you plan to exclude from schools?
Children have at least 8 viral infections a year, thats a lot of time
off school. Most coughs are common viruses, not pertussis

>> You cannot blame a kindergarten for any of that.
>
>I said "the cause is the parents".

No it isn't. The cause is the infection. It may or may not be
obvious that it is scarlet fever or whooping cough. Most children
who go to the doctor with a cough don't have whooping cough, and most
of them don't have swabs done to see if they have whooping cough until
it has become quite protracted, or if they whoop. Most dont

>> And kindergartens have always been teachers based and structured, so I
>> don't understand your 'just a cheap creche'. It isn't true anyway.
>
>Cheap meaning $1 per session, I don't know where you're from but thats cheap
>compared to paid creche care here, yes this IS TRUE.
>

>> >My daugher has been bitten, spat on, kicked, pushed around, and had sand
>> >RUBBED into her eyes. She learned disrespect, spitting, biting and
>swearing
>> >in 2 weeks at kindergarten. She's not going back!
>>
>> Good idea. It's not what the kindergarten teaches however.
>
>You are missing the whole point, that SOCIETY and PARENTS are not putting
>the effort in.

Except you apparently? Most parents are putting all the effort they
can in. I don;t believe youa re right at all. Some parents leave
something to be desired. Parents who didnt realise their children had
whooping cough or scarlet fever didnt do anythign wrong.

>>>NZ society is an a downward spiral and the cause is the parents. Our young
>> >are increasingly demanding, rude, arrogant, disrespectful and less
>> >articulate. We are even falling behind Eastern Block European countries
>in
>> >areas of academic achievement.
>>
>> Got any evidence for any of that?
>
>Yes I do, start here:
>http://4brevard.com/choice/international-test-scores.htm

Wow. 8th in the world for maths in our 16 year olds, and sixth in
the world for science in our 16 year olds. Amazingly good performance
for such a small country.

>> What are you going to do? Find an expensive creche where the kids do
>> silly stuff with sand and still swear?
>
>No, she will not be attending kindergarten again.

Not an answer, but that was obvious. A whole week too. First child?

It's possible you have quite unrealistic understanding of children and
their behaviours and child development. Certainly much of what you
have said here gives the impression your are idealistic and
inexperienced with preschools. I could be wrong, it could be a really
bad kindergarten. I hope you find an apropriate place to nourish that
young brain, preschool is a key period for brain development.

>If you think the average kindergarten in other countries experience this
>sort of dysfunctional behaviour you are very naive, and part of the problem
>in this country: ignorance and apathy.

I hope your child will be happy

Lazza

Jul 13, 2002, 11:15:51 PM7/13/02
I strongly believe the general thrust of my argument to be true.

We could spend weeks arguing the finer points of my examples and
experiences. But this wouldn't change the facts.

You also misunderstood the international test scores results, choosing one
or two favourable scores and suggesting it contradicts my argument. This
indicates you posess a lack of understanding of quantitative analysis, and
have no background in statistical analysis. You have subscribed to what is
called the 'bucket theory' of science, in which evidence is selectively
chosen to support an argument, ignoring contradictory evidence.

In our case we were not happy with the initial diagnosis of a cold, followed
by susequent re-diagnosis of asthma. We disagreed and sought a second
opinion, were referred to a paediatrician, and agreed with the
paediatricians diagnosis of whooping cough. This is not a diagnosis of
hindsight. The initial diagnoses were based on incorrect assumptions,
delaying the correct diagnosis.

Again, suggesting all parents are putting in all the effort they can is
unbelievably incorrect. Tell that to the drug dealing solo mum around the
corner from me who gambles / smokes / drinks all their income. Dresses the
kids from Sally Army, they wander the streets inadequately dressed or fed
cos shes too pissed to care.

Your suggestion that I am somehow a naive parent with 1 child is grossly
misplaced. We have a huge family. 7 uncles and 6 aunts on my dads side, 2
and 4 on mums (a total of 19 uncles and 19 aunties), all have at least 3
children. I have four siblings, between the 5 of us we have 17 children (3
are mine). We are all very close and had our own 'playgroup', but I am now
physically separated from the family.

Personally I believe pre-school is more important for social development
than learning per se, provided the parents are putting in some effort at
home. Yes, I may be idealistic, but not inexperienced with pre-schools, here
and abroad. I think its good to be idealistic, it gives you things like
goals and motivation. Even if idealistic goals can't be reached, rest
assured benefits have been made from trying. This must be better than any
outcome arising from simply not caring.

I'm not criticising the kindergartens or their teachers, but the mental /
physical state in which children are presented there. You obviously care
about the situation, thats good. But I'm disappointed my argument hasn't
swayed you... if people can't see whats happening on a global scale, things
can only get worse.

Someone

Jul 14, 2002, 5:27:20 AM7/14/02
On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 15:15:51 +1200, "Lazza" <nob...@yahoo.com.au>
wrote

>Again, suggesting all parents are putting in all the effort they can is
>unbelievably incorrect. Tell that to the drug dealing solo mum around the
>corner from me who gambles / smokes / drinks all their income. Dresses the
>kids from Sally Army, they wander the streets inadequately dressed or fed
>cos shes too pissed to care.

And have you done anything about it?
If you haven't you are just as bad as she is for not reporting her
to the authorities. It takes a village to bring up a child.

Luthien

Jul 16, 2002, 11:37:22 AM7/16/02

You wouldn't happen to know the high school holiday schedule would you?

Luthien

Jul 16, 2002, 11:41:42 AM7/16/02

Good LORD! My gurl went to a great kindy, none of this went on, neither
would it have been tolerated. However, across at the other end of town,
I had a friend who experienced just what you stated above. You need to
shop around for a good kindy:))

Nelly

Jul 17, 2002, 1:27:21 AM7/17/02
On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 09:37:22 -0600, Luthien <baby...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>You wouldn't happen to know the high school holiday schedule would you?

For this year.

Term 3 Monday 15 July To Friday 20 September (100 half-days)
Term 4 Monday 7 October To Friday 6 December (88 half-days)

2003 Terms

Term 1 Wednesday 29 January To Friday 11 April (104 half-days)
Term 2 Monday 28 April To Friday 4 July (98 half-days)
Term 3 Monday 21 July To Friday 19 September (90 half-days)
Term 4 Monday 6 October To Friday 5 December (88 half-days)