XP - requires quote marks typed twice

1 view

Patrick Dunford

Jul 14, 2004, 2:38:55 AM7/14/04
We have a number of XP machines all installed from a CD on Ministry of
Education schools license.

On every single one of them, whenever you type any text in a window,
like my news client that I am writing in now, in order to enter a set of
quote marks, the " key has to be pressed twice (and then shows "")

Of course, this is so you can type characters like accented vowels.
However these aren't used much in NZ and so it shouldn't force you to
double-type quote marks etc.

Does anyone know why XP requires this?

Patrick Bold

Jul 14, 2004, 2:58:44 AM7/14/04
"Patrick Dunford" <patrick...@nomail.invalid> wrote in message

Control Panel | Regional and Language Options | Languages | Details --
install the standard keyboard instead of what you currently have, the
US-International Keyboard

Patrick Dunford

Jul 14, 2004, 8:36:26 AM7/14/04
In article <40f4d...@newsfeed.slurp.net>, news_...@yahoo.com says...

what is the name of the standard keyboard?

Kristofer Clayton

Jul 14, 2004, 9:52:58 AM7/14/04
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:36:26 +1200, Patrick Dunford
<patrick...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>> Control Panel | Regional and Language Options | Languages | Details --
>> install the standard keyboard instead of what you currently have, the
>> US-International Keyboard
>
>what is the name of the standard keyboard?

It's just called 'US'

--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand

Ralph Fox

Jul 14, 2004, 10:47:16 AM7/14/04
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:36:26 +1200, in message
<MPG.1b5fec4f2...@news.paradise.net.nz>, Patrick Dunford wrote:

> In article <40f4d...@newsfeed.slurp.net>, news_...@yahoo.com says...
> > "Patrick Dunford" <patrick...@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
> > > We have a number of XP machines all installed from a CD on Ministry of
> > > Education schools license.
> > >
> > > On every single one of them, whenever you type any text in a window,
> > > like my news client that I am writing in now, in order to enter a set
> > of
> > > quote marks, the " key has to be pressed twice (and then shows "")

To get a single ", press " then space.

> > > Of course, this is so you can type characters like accented vowels.
> > > However these aren't used much in NZ and so it shouldn't force you to
> > > double-type quote marks etc.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know why XP requires this?
> >
> > Control Panel | Regional and Language Options | Languages | Details --
> > install the standard keyboard instead of what you currently have, the
> > US-International Keyboard
>
> what is the name of the standard keyboard?

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/keyboards.aspx [*Warning*: IE-only site]

If your keyboard has the US layout (e.g. Shift+3 is #) like most PCs in NZ
do, then the standard keyboard setting in NZ is "United States English",
also called "US" or "United States 101" on older versions of Windows.

Other choices include
• US-International
• US Ireland Extended from http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/~oduibhin/mearchlar/gaelicus.htm
• Polish (programmers)

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Change is inevitable. Progress is optional.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Jul 14, 2004, 4:51:15 PM7/14/04
Patrick Dunford wrote:
>>Control Panel | Regional and Language Options | Languages | Details --
>>install the standard keyboard instead of what you currently have, the
>>US-International Keyboard

> what is the name of the standard keyboard?

US Keyboard I think. note the lack of international in the name.

Patrick Dunford

Jul 14, 2004, 10:28:33 PM7/14/04
In article <ingaf0hjjgnk07b3f...@news02.tsnz.net>,
ralphf...@xtraxtra.coco.nznz.undo-echo.invalid says...

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:36:26 +1200, in message
> <MPG.1b5fec4f2...@news.paradise.net.nz>, Patrick Dunford wrote:
>
> > In article <40f4d...@newsfeed.slurp.net>, news_...@yahoo.com says...
> > > "Patrick Dunford" <patrick...@nomail.invalid> wrote in message

> > > of
>
> To get a single ", press " then space.

Bollocks. This is not the default behaviour in any other version of
Windows. When I type " I expect to see " on the screen.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Jul 14, 2004, 10:40:37 PM7/14/04
Patrick Dunford wrote:

>>To get a single ", press " then space.

> Bollocks. This is not the default behaviour in any other version of
> Windows. When I type " I expect to see " on the screen.

It is the default behaviour if you happen to install the
US-International Keyoard Drivers.

theseus

Jul 14, 2004, 11:33:04 PM7/14/04

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in message

To see why, try typing " then e or o
You will find other characters on the keyboard that behave the same way.
They are used by multicultural Un American foreigners

Patrick Bold

Jul 15, 2004, 1:14:23 AM7/15/04

> Patrick Dunford wrote:

Yes. This is not a "Windows" problem, Patrick, or an "XP" problem. It's
a simple matter of choosing the right installation option. Whoever
configured the setup cd you're using obviously made a mistake. But
hey -- now you've learned something new yourself.

Message has been deleted

Ryan Jacobs

Jul 15, 2004, 3:22:46 AM7/15/04

"The GHOST of WOGER." <gh...@gosts.co.au> wrote in message
> The Keyboard can be changed at any time..

Well yes. Just like Dickford - you missed the point!

The problem is clearly a PEBKAC error. No OS can safely account for the
PEBKAC error - not even the holy grail known as Linux.

RJ out.

Ralph Fox

Jul 15, 2004, 6:56:03 AM7/15/04
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:59:39 +1200, in message
<497cf0teue744cas4...@4ax.com>, The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:

> The Keyboard can be changed at any time..

That is correct. I can switch keyboard "drivers" in 2 seconds.

I have an icon in the system tray to switch keyboard "drivers" between
'US' and 'US-International' (and a few others I hardly ever use, such
as 'Polish programmers' and 'US-Esperanto').

Ralph Fox

Jul 15, 2004, 4:17:00 PM7/15/04
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:28:33 +1200, in message
<MPG.1b60ad001...@news.paradise.net.nz>, Patrick Dunford wrote:

> > To get a single ", press " then space.
>
> Bollocks.

It appears from your description that those PCs have been _configured_
with the "US-International" keyboard driver.

On PCs which have been configured this way, to get a set of quote marks
one does NOT HAVE TO press the " key twice.

 • Pressing the " key twice will show ""
 • Pressing the key " once followed by the space bar will show "

Try it on those PCs (before you reconfigure them) and report back.

> This is not the default behaviour in any other version of
> Windows.

This behaviour is nothing to do with the _version_ of Windows.

This is a _configuration_ option, from the Win95 "PanEuro" version onwards.
In Win XP it is controlled by the language/keyboard setting at
Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages -> Details

Let's recap in the thread so far

1. You described the problem and asked "why XP requires this".
2. You got a reply which said to change the XP language/keyboard
setting from "US-International" to the standard keyboard.
3. You asked what the standard keyboard was.
4. You got several replies (including mine) saying to use the "US"
keyboard (i.e. without the "International").

Have you not read any of the several replies to your request?
Did you not understand them?

[Patrick Dunford]

[Patrick Bold]

[Patrick Dunford]

| | > what is the name of the standard keyboard?

[Kristofer Clayton]

| | It's just called 'US'

[Ralph Fox]
| | called "US"

[Dave]

| | US Keyboard I think. note the lack of international in the name.

> When I type " I expect to see " on the screen.

So have you reconfigured those PCs yet, as per the replies?

For your information, Windows has more than one choice of
language/keyboard setting for use with physical keyboards which have
the US layout. Some of those choices are

A. "US"

For the US and other places where characters like accented vowels
aren't used much.

B. "US-International"

For Western European languages when there is a need to enter
characters like accented vowels while using a US physical keyboard.

C. "Polish Programmers"

For the Polish language, when there is a need to enter Polish
characters like Ł and ę while using a US physical keyboard.

You can see the so-called "dead" keys and the key-to-character mappings,
in visual format, from this Microsoft web page.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Jul 15, 2004, 4:42:16 PM7/15/04
Ryan Jacobs wrote:
> The problem is clearly a PEBKAC error. No OS can safely account for the
> PEBKAC error - not even the holy grail known as Linux.

although because of the steeper learning curve, less PEBKAC errors seem
to surface.

AD.

Jul 15, 2004, 5:52:19 PM7/15/04

Probably more like there is an expectation that a problem is a PEBKAC
rather than a bug :)

Maybe that's the downside of ease of use - the users don't go looking for
ways of solving problems and just assume it's a bug.

Cheers
Anton

Patrick Dunford

Jul 15, 2004, 10:07:26 PM7/15/04
In article <pan.2004.07.15....@privacy.net>, m...@privacy.net
says...

US-International or whatever is the DEFAULT installation option for XP,
it's not like I tried to change the setting

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Jul 15, 2004, 10:08:11 PM7/15/04
Patrick Dunford wrote:
> US-International or whatever is the DEFAULT installation option for XP,
> it's not like I tried to change the setting

wow, odd, isnt on any of the machine I deal with...
~200 at work, and ~10 at home or friends.

Ryan Jacobs

Jul 16, 2004, 12:11:12 AM7/16/04

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in message

Even odder......

Of the 2500 that I support, it isn't either.

I think this could actually be worse than a PEBKAC situation. It's time to
upgrade the problem to a ID-ten-tee status.

RJ out.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Jul 16, 2004, 12:38:44 AM7/16/04
Ryan Jacobs wrote:
> I think this could actually be worse than a PEBKAC situation. It's time to
> upgrade the problem to a ID-ten-tee status.

wow, havent heard that term in a while.

Patrick Dunford

Jul 18, 2004, 2:36:38 AM7/18/04
Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

The default install option, which this computer has selected, is
Keyboard-US. That is the one we are having problems with.

Ralph Fox

Jul 20, 2004, 6:57:49 AM7/20/04

Have you resolved/fixed this yet? If so, how did you resolve it?

If you still have this problem, check your installed keyboard dll files
and registry settings...

1. Check whether these XP machines have the correct keyboard DLL files
for both "US" and "US-International".

Look in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ for these dll files.

1.1 "US-International" keyboard

file is kbdusx.dll, 6,144 bytes

File version: 5.1.2600.0
Internal name: kbdusx (3.11)
Original name: kbdusx.dll

1.2 "US" keyboard

file is kbdus.dll, 5,632 bytes

File version: 5.1.2600.0
Internal name: kbdus (3.11)
Original name: kbdus.dll

Check the size and version information for the kbdus.dll file
are what they should be (and that the file kbdus.dll is not a
renamed copy of a different kbd*.dll file).

2. Check that the user-friendly names for these keyboard drivers
are correct (and, for example, that kbdusx.dll is not assigned
"US" as its user-friendly name).

Look in the registry for these entries. These entries define
the choices available for setting the keyboard at

Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages -> Details

| [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00000409]
| "Layout File"="KBDUS.DLL"
| "Layout Text"="US"
|
| [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00020409]
| "Layout File"="KBDUSX.DLL"
| "Layout Text"="United States-International"

In these registry keys, "00000409" is the code number for the "US"
keyboard driver dll "KBDUS.DLL", and "00020409" is the code number
for the "US-International" keyboard driver dll "KBDUSX.DLL".

3. Check, in the registry, that the actual keyboard selected
is correct.

| [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Substitutes]
| "00001409"="00000409"

The left side of the equals sign is the language:
"00001409" = "English (New Zealand)"
"00000c09" = "English (Australia)"
"00000409" = "English (United States)"

The right side of the equals sign is the keyboard driver dll
"00000409" = "US"
"00020409" = "US-International"

Patrick Dunford

Jul 20, 2004, 6:27:12 PM7/20/04
In article <13tpf0lgk6aacumgd...@news02.tsnz.net>,
ralphf...@xtraxtra.coco.nznz.undo-echo.invalid says...

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:36:38 +1200, in message
> <7UoKc.8947$NA1.8...@news02.tsnz.net>, Patrick Dunford wrote:
>
> > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> > > wow, odd, isnt on any of the machine I deal with...
> > > ~200 at work, and ~10 at home or friends.
> >
> > The default install option, which this computer has selected, is
> > Keyboard-US. That is the one we are having problems with.
>

> Have you resolved/fixed this yet? If so, how did you resolve it?

Yes it seems to have been fixed.

I suspect somebody changed the keyboard settings on the machine I was
working at. The other machines had either one setting or the other.

It's all rather confusing when the keyboard layouts both have US in their
name.

Ralph Fox

Jul 21, 2004, 2:45:29 AM7/21/04
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:27:12 +1200, in message
<MPG.1b6862f78...@news.paradise.net.nz>, Patrick Dunford wrote:

> Yes it seems to have been fixed.

Good to hear.