Energy Usage on the Subway

Bolwerk

Sep 19, 2009, 5:25:55 PM9/19/09
It looks to me like the Subway's efficiency measures and higher
ridership figures have paid off since the mid-1990s. The NY Subway's
number was 3492 BTU/passenger mile in 1995.

Energy Intensity of Heavy Rail Systems, 2007

Btu per
City/State Passenger-mile
Atlanta, GA 1,840
New York, NY 1,914
Oakland, CA 2,300
Jersey City, NJ 2,793
Washington, DC 3,167
Philadelphia, PA 3,527
All Heavy Rail Systems 3,777
Boston, MA 3,826
Chicago, IL 4,013
Staten Island, NY 4,087
Baltimore, MD 4,253
Los Angeles, CA 4,443
Lindenwold, NJ 5,275
Miami, FL 5,673
Cleveland, OH 5,762

http://cta.ornl.gov/data/tedb28/Spreadsheets/Figure2_03.xls

danny burstein

Sep 19, 2009, 10:13:16 PM9/19/09
In <IaidnQB_K9T70SjX...@earthlink.com> Bolwerk <bol...@gmail.com> writes:
[snippage]

>It looks to me like the Subway's efficiency measures and higher
>ridership figures have paid off since the mid-1990s. The NY Subway's
>number was 3492 BTU/passenger mile in 1995.

>Energy Intensity of Heavy Rail Systems, 2007
>
> Btu per
>City/State Passenger-mile

>New York, NY 1,914
>Staten Island, NY 4,087

>http://cta.ornl.gov/data/tedb28/Spreadsheets/Figure2_03.xls

I'd really, really, like to see what criteria they used
to come up with that figure.

dan...@panix.com

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Sep 19, 2009, 10:37:58 PM9/19/09
On Sep 19, 10:13 pm, danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:
> I'd really, really, like to see what criteria they used
> to come up with that figure.

True. It should be broken down by peak and off peak periods at a
minimum, and probably by line or division as well.

Also, do these figures include only propulsion power or all power
consumption, such as station and tunnel lighting, pumps, etc.?

Certain systems are limited to shorter cars (like Chicago) which
aren't as efficient as longer cars.

As an aside, New Yorkers as a whole are the most energy efficient
people in the country. using less energy per capita than anywhere else.

Peter T. Daniels

Sep 19, 2009, 10:43:02 PM9/19/09
On Sep 19, 10:13 pm, danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:
> In <IaidnQB_K9T70SjXnZ2dnUVZ_gidn...@earthlink.com> Bolwerk <bolw...@gmail.com> writes:
> [snippage]
>
> >It looks to me like the Subway's efficiency measures and higher
> >ridership figures have paid off since the mid-1990s.  The NY Subway's
> >number was 3492 BTU/passenger mile in 1995.
> >Energy Intensity of Heavy Rail Systems, 2007
>
> >    Btu per
> >City/State  Passenger-mile
> >New York, NY                1,914
> >Staten Island, NY   4,087
> >http://cta.ornl.gov/data/tedb28/Spreadsheets/Figure2_03.xls
>
> I'd really, really, like to see what criteria they used
> to come up with that figure.

SIRT has very few passengers and lots of miles?

Nice to see that PATH is also in the top 4.