Re: Major round of layoffs at NYC Transit - 7/16/2010

Message has been deleted

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 16, 2010, 5:34:31 PM7/16/10
On Jul 16, 5:30 pm, Victim of Hype <victim_of_h...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> A major round of layoffs occurred at the Transit authority today.
> Approximately 150 administrative personnel were let go in a highly
> orchestrated procedure.
>
> Those that were targeted for termination strategically had their
> building passes, network access and ID cards deactivated late last
> night. When they arrived for work and were unable to access the
> building (in most cases 2 Broadway) they were marched up to a 20th
> floor conference room, informed of their fate and escorted out of the
> building by security personnel.
>
> It was by far  the most efficient transaction I've ever observed at
> the Transit Authority.

So when will their personal effects be auctioned?

Steven M. O'Neill

Jul 16, 2010, 8:22:34 PM7/16/10
Victim of Hype <victim_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>A major round of layoffs occurred at the Transit authority today.
>Approximately 150 administrative personnel were let go in a highly
>orchestrated procedure.
>
>Those that were targeted for termination strategically had their
>building passes, network access and ID cards deactivated late last
>night. When they arrived for work and were unable to access the
>building (in most cases 2 Broadway) they were marched up to a 20th
>floor conference room, informed of their fate and escorted out of the
>building by security personnel.
>
>It was by far the most efficient transaction I've ever observed at
>the Transit Authority.

I suppose these were non-union folks?

--
Steven O'Neill ste...@panix.com
Brooklyn, NY http://www.panix.com/~steveo

Message has been deleted

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Jul 16, 2010, 8:49:42 PM7/16/10
On Jul 16, 5:30 pm, Victim of Hype <victim_of_h...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Those that were targeted for termination strategically had their
> building passes, network access and ID cards deactivated late last
> night. When they arrived for work and were unable to access the
> building (in most cases 2 Broadway) they were marched up to a 20th
> floor conference room, informed of their fate and escorted out of the
> building by security personnel.
>
> It was by far  the most efficient transaction I've ever observed at
> the Transit Authority.

In the private sector, people get severance pay. How much severance
did those let go get?

Whose gonna handle the work the terminated people did?

I don't consider such actions "efficient". Given past experience, in
a year or so the MTA will hire expensive consultants to clean up the
mess this caused.

Message has been deleted

Steven M. O'Neill

Jul 16, 2010, 10:26:02 PM7/16/10
Victim of Hype <victim_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 00:22:34 +0000 (UTC), ste...@panix.com (Steven M.
>O'Neill) wrote:
>
>>I suppose these were non-union folks?
>
>Correct. And what I found most surprising was that the candidates were
>clearly selected based on merit. It was obvious from the roster that
>'dead wood' was an operative factor in many, many cases.

Current management, led by Jay Walder, seems to have its head on
straight, so it's good to hear that it was based on merit.

>Shame they can't do the same for the union folk.

They got raises.

They are laying off some union employees, though.

http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-mta-hearings-layoffs,0,3270096.story

The article is about hearings that the union sued to require.
But the bottom line is that the layoffs will most likely occur.
Some of these are apparently at the expense of the raises, so I
guess it pays to have seniority (or is it merit?).

Message has been deleted

Jul 17, 2010, 9:49:59 AM7/17/10
On Jul 16, 5:30 pm, Victim of Hype <victim_of_h...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> A major round of layoffs occurred at the Transit authority today.
> Approximately 150 administrative personnel were let go in a highly
> orchestrated procedure.
>
> It was by far  the most efficient transaction I've ever observed at
> the Transit Authority.

Fascinating story, and amazing that not a word from either side has
appeared in the New York Times, or anywhere else that I can find on
Google...

Stephen Sprunk

Jul 17, 2010, 11:06:22 AM7/17/10
On 16 Jul 2010 20:24, Victim of Hype wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 17:49:42 -0700 (PDT), hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:
>> In the private sector, people get severance pay. How much severance
>> did those let go get?
>
> 8 weeks continued salary, 8 months medical and their accrued leave.

I should point out that "accrued leave" is an expense incurred at the
time it was accrued (i.e. paid into a reserve account), so that is not
_new_ money going out the door.

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Jul 17, 2010, 2:10:42 PM7/17/10
On Jul 16, 10:26 pm, ste...@panix.com (Steven M. O'Neill) wrote:

> Current management, led by Jay Walder, seems to have its head on
> straight, so it's good to hear that it was based on merit.

As a passenger and a taxpayer, I'm not so sure Walder is doing things
correctly. I fear he's cutting service _quality_ which will
discourage riders and return us to the downward spiral of the 1970s.

chris.li...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2010, 5:19:13 PM7/17/10
On Jul 17, 6:19 am, Victim of Hype <victim_of_h...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 02:26:02 +0000 (UTC), ste...@panix.com (Steven M.
>
> O'Neill) wrote:
> >They got raises.
>
> Completely outrageous.
>
> VoH

No lie. Those bastards better give back their 2.5% raises so the tax
breaks can continue for Bear Stearns- how else can they afford their
bonuses?

Chris

Phil Kane

Jul 17, 2010, 8:22:14 PM7/17/10
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 17:30:07 -0400, Victim of Hype
<victim_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Those that were targeted for termination strategically had their
>building passes, network access and ID cards deactivated late last
>night. When they arrived for work and were unable to access the
>building (in most cases 2 Broadway) they were marched up to a 20th
>floor conference room, informed of their fate and escorted out of the
>building by security personnel.

At least when my wife - a contract engineering designer - got laid off
at several major companies because funding ran out, she was given an
hour or so to get her stuff out of the building, sometimes under
security scrutiny, most often not.

When I retired from the Feds, I went home at 4:30 as I always did, and
my ID/password on the net was still active until about 9 pm (Midnight,
Washington time).

>It was by far the most efficient transaction I've ever observed at
>the Transit Authority.

Scary....
--

"Stand Clear of the Closing Doors, Please"

Phil Kane - Beaverton, OR
PNW Beburg MP 28.0 - OE District

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Jul 17, 2010, 9:38:13 PM7/17/10
On Jul 17, 9:49 am, J <jmel...@verizon.net> wrote:

> > It was by far  the most efficient transaction I've ever observed at
> > the Transit Authority.
>
> Fascinating story, and amazing that not a word from either side has
> appeared in the New York Times, or anywhere else that I can find on
> Google...

Agreed. A citation to support the OP comments would be nice.

danny burstein

Jul 18, 2010, 12:56:42 AM7/18/10
In <f8af1c5a-9082-4ce3...@e5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com> J <jme...@verizon.net> writes:

>On Jul 16, 5:30=A0pm, Victim of Hype <victim_of_h...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> A major round of layoffs occurred at the Transit authority today.
>> Approximately 150 administrative personnel were let go in a highly
>> orchestrated procedure.
>>

>> It was by far =A0the most efficient transaction I've ever observed at
>> the Transit Authority.

>Fascinating story, and amazing that not a word from either side has
>appeared in the New York Times, or anywhere else that I can find on
>Google...

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/07/16/2010-07-16_mta_top_earners_keep_jobs.html#ixzz0tqETVl4j

"At the other end of the pay ladder, 22 employees making $55,000 or less - including seven secretaries - were pink-slipped, according to the MTA data.

dan...@panix.com

Message has been deleted

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Jul 18, 2010, 8:36:28 PM7/18/10
On Jul 18, 9:48 am, Victim of Hype <victim_of_h...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Since the 2 Broadway layoffs were not publicly announced and occurred
> on a Friday, it may not hit the press until Monday.

Will that substantiate the claim of "dead wood"?

Message has been deleted

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 18, 2010, 11:04:35 PM7/18/10
On Jul 18, 9:52 pm, Victim of Hype <victim_of_h...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 17:36:28 -0700 (PDT), hanco...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:
> >Will that substantiate the claim of "dead wood"?
>
> Are you referring to the minority, yet substantial number of,  MTA
> employees who do next to nothing for a living and haven't for years?
> Who complain about everything... Threaten to sue over nonsense... Are
> essentially unemployable anywhere else and view public employment as
> an extension of the welfare state?

After three days, it's about time you came clean and told us what axe
you have to grind.

Message has been deleted

Steven M. O'Neill

Jul 19, 2010, 7:21:40 AM7/19/10
Victim of Hype <victim_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 20:04:35 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
><gram...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

>>After three days, it's about time you came clean and told us what axe
>>you have to grind.
>
>You mean it wasn't clear to begin with? Or supported by events?

You're mad at subprime mortgage lenders?

Message has been deleted

Steven M. O'Neill

Jul 19, 2010, 9:00:26 AM7/19/10
Victim of Hype <victim_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:21:40 +0000 (UTC), ste...@panix.com (Steven M.
>O'Neill) wrote:
>
>>You're mad at subprime mortgage lenders?
>
>Don't change the subject.

That's the same subject. I'm sorry that people lost their jobs.
I'm sorry if my post came off as too flip.

But there's are reasons why there is no money right now.
Namely, the economy tanked, and the state legislature did not
feel that maintaining transit funding was a priority.

Message has been deleted

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Jul 19, 2010, 11:35:31 AM7/19/10
On Jul 18, 9:52 pm, Victim of Hype <victim_of_h...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 17:36:28 -0700 (PDT), hanco...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:
> >Will that substantiate the claim of "dead wood"?
>
> Are you referring to the minority, yet substantial number of,  MTA
> employees who do next to nothing for a living and haven't for years?

How do you know that there are in fact a "substantial number of MTA
employees who do next to nothing"?

Exactly how many employees ("substantial number") are we talking
about?

What departments and job titles do they have?

Message has been deleted

Jul 24, 2010, 10:06:46 PM7/24/10
On Jul 18, 9:48 am, Victim of Hype <victim_of_h...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Since the 2 Broadway layoffs were not publicly announced and occurred
> on a Friday, it may not hit the press until Monday.
>
> I knew something was wrong when I arrived and saw 2 squad cars and an
> ambulance parked in front of the building.

I still don't find anything, anywhere, to back up this tale of
melodrama: police cars, ambulances, workers standing in the street
unable to get into the building. Certainly the termination of 150
workers in one fell swoop ought to be worthy of archived report...

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 24, 2010, 10:18:00 PM7/24/10

It's about time you noticed the "name" of the poster who initiated
this thread. You've been the "victim of hype."

Message has been deleted

Jul 25, 2010, 12:03:06 AM7/25/10
On Jul 24, 10:18 pm, "Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote:

> It's about time you noticed the "name" of the poster who initiated
> this thread. You've been the "victim of hype."

What makes you think that? Actually, if you scroll back, you will
notice that I challenged him (in a fairly civil way) on July 17. I
don't care what screen name he uses, but the fact that all his
postings are scheduled to disappear doesn't support his veracity.

danny burstein

Jul 25, 2010, 12:20:10 AM7/25/10
In <phdn46hp5kmn3e7de...@4ax.com> Victim of Hype <victim_...@yahoo.com> writes:

>On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 19:06:46 -0700 (PDT), J <jme...@verizon.net>
>wrote:

>>I still don't find anything, anywhere, to back up this tale of
>>melodrama: police cars, ambulances, workers standing in the street
>>unable to get into the building. Certainly the termination of 150
>>workers in one fell swoop ought to be worthy of archived report...

>http://tinyurl.com/29fbfom

That url leads to a set of downloadable PDFs in "ZIP" form,
a favorite technique of malware distributers.

I've pulled them over and carefully took them apart, and
they're letters from the MTA President and a Dep't chair
in regards to the layoffs.

I've cut-and-pasted from the PDF and posted below. (original formatting lost,
typos probably mine in reformatting/editing)
----------
Letter from the President
July 16, 2010

Dear Colleagues:
Today is one of the most difficult days I have
endured in two tours
of duty here at MTA New
York City Transit, knowing that more than one hundred of
our colleagues are being let go
from their positions due to the daunting financial
constraints currently being dealt with both
here and throughout the entire MTA family.

Saying good-bye to friends and co-workers is
never easy, even under the best of circumstances.
Being forced to do it in this manner is just
that much more difficult.

In being chosen to lead this organization late last year
I looked forward enthusiastically to the
many challenges that I knew I would face on a day-to-day
basis. However, I can honestly say
this is not one I thought I would have to face in
my first year.

That said, as President of the country's
leading transit agency, the responsibility of
making difficult decisions comes with
the job and I will not shy away from making the tough
decisions that will allow NYC Transit
to continue its mission of providing bus and
subway services to seven and one-half million
riders daily even as we work to shape the agency
into a form that will better meet future challenges.

These are painful separations and, unfortunately, I
cannot promise you that this is the end of
our budget and personnel reductions. Until we find
ourselves in a significantly different financial
position, the potential for further reductions exists.

We have made the commitment
to reduce our administrative workforce by 15-percent
and those cuts are coming from every
department throughout NYC Transit. Make no mistake,
this pain is deep and widespread,
experienced by the affected employees, their family
members and their colleagues - the pain
is felt by all of us.

As we have done for Station Agents, Bus Operators,
Bus Maintainers, Car Inspectors and
other hourly employees, we are doing as much as
we possibly can in assisting the men and
women who are leaving the agency and we are offering
an array of post-separation services.

How long will our current financial situation last?
No one knows the answer to that one. This
economic downturn has already been deeper and longer
than anyone expected, taking a toll on all
of us. But while the future may be filled with
uncertainty, the one thing I can promise is that I
will keep all of you informed as this process
continues to unfold.

Sincerely,

Thomas F. Prendergast
--------------------
Memorandum

New York City Transit

Date July 16,20
10
To TIS Employees

From: Sidney M. Gellineau, Vice President, Technology &
Information Services

Re Recent Personnel Actions

Today we went through one of the most difficult exercises
that any company has
to undergo during dire economic times -a reduction
of headcount. As you read
on several communications from the MTA Chairman
and the President of NYC
Transit, our financial situation is bleak.

All the MTA agencies were required to
reduce administrative headcount by 15%
as a measure to balance the budget.

Several months ago, Transit offered a Voluntary
Resignation program for
non-represented administrative staff to help
reduce the need for involuntary
separations. Despite the number of volunteers
from TIS, we failed to meet the
required target for the division, which necessitated
today's action.

This morning, Human Resources and I met with the
affected employees and are providing
assistance during this transition.

In the coming weeks, I will be meeting with my senior
staff to assess the impact
of these changes and to restructure our organization
to best meet our service
delivery objectives.

While we go through these unprecedented hard
times, I encourage all of you to continue to do
your best by providing valued service to our customers

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Message has been deleted

danny burstein

Jul 25, 2010, 7:55:15 AM7/25/10

>>I've pulled them over and carefully took them apart, and
>>they're letters from the MTA President and a Dep't chair
>>in regards to the layoffs.

>What do you mean you "carefully took them apart" ???

>Dude, you OPENED THE ZIP FILE AND FOUND 2 PDF's - *** That's It! ***

>What's with the drama??

You really have no idea about the dangers of opening
up a random "zip" file that claims to be holding PDFs
inside it, eh?

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 25, 2010, 8:34:35 AM7/25/10
On Jul 25, 6:19 am, Victim of Hype <victim_of_h...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 04:20:10 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein

> <dan...@panix.com> wrote:
> >>http://tinyurl.com/29fbfom
>
> >That url leads to a set of downloadable PDFs in "ZIP" form,
> >a favorite technique of malware distributers.
>
> >I've pulled them over and carefully took them apart, and
> >they're letters from the MTA President and a Dep't chair
> >in regards to the layoffs.
>
> What do you mean you "carefully took them apart" ???
>
> Dude, you OPENED THE ZIP FILE AND FOUND 2 PDF's - *** That's It! ***
>
> What's with the drama??
>
> >I've cut-and-pasted from the PDF and posted below.
>
> What I should have done to begin with... <sigh>
>
> VoH

Right. The new "P"resident has made major budget-saving cuts and not
breathed a word of it to the press.

That's not how state agency presidents work.

And that crap about "police cars" and "an ambulance"?

And you still haven't said what supposedly happened to any personal
property of supposed "former executives" who were "escorted" from the
building.

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 25, 2010, 8:35:29 AM7/25/10
On Jul 25, 7:55 am, danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:

> In <co3o4615pm00b6b0i1ecgu9c7j6ra0m...@4ax.com> Victim of Hype <victim_of_h...@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> >>I've pulled them over and carefully took them apart, and
> >>they're letters from the MTA President and a Dep't chair
> >>in regards to the layoffs.
> >What do you mean you "carefully took them apart" ???
> >Dude, you OPENED THE ZIP FILE AND FOUND 2 PDF's - *** That's It! ***
> >What's with the drama??
>
> You really have no idea about the dangers of opening
> up a random "zip" file that claims to be holding PDFs
> inside it, eh?

Junior high school practical jokers don't realize how easy it is to
see through their pranks.

Message has been deleted

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 25, 2010, 9:09:15 AM7/25/10
On Jul 25, 8:48 am, Victim of Hype <victim_of_h...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 05:34:35 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"

> <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote:
> >Right. The new "P"resident has made major budget-saving cuts and not
> >breathed a word of it to the press.
>
> >That's not how state agency presidents work.
>
> OK, so you think I made the whole thing up and forged the documents?

That is the most reasonable explanation.

> What would one have to gain by doing such a thing?

Why does any troll do what they do?

> I'm surprised not to find anything in the press as well. It seems the
> press is simply not interested in reporting white collar layoffs at
> the TV anymore. However, if you doubt it occurred, it's easy to
> verify. Just call the NYC Transit office of public affairs and ask
> them. (646)252-5878

How does it happen that (if that's a legitimate phone number) you know
it?

Whom have you contacted at the local newspapers and radio stations
with this supposed information? How do you happen to be in possession
of it?

Message has been deleted

Stephen Sprunk

Jul 25, 2010, 11:42:30 AM7/25/10
On 25 Jul 2010 08:09, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Jul 25, 8:48 am, Victim of Hype <victim_of_h...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Just call the NYC Transit office of public affairs and ask
>> them. (646)252-5878
>
> How does it happen that (if that's a legitimate phone number) you know
> it?

That's a legit number; two seconds with Google shows it tagged onto the
end of numerous press releases on MTA's web site.

As to why the media didn't cover the layoffs, that's simple: MTA didn't
put out a press release. We all know that most newspapers these days
simply reprint press releases rather than coming up with anything new of
their own.

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 25, 2010, 12:04:11 PM7/25/10
On Jul 25, 10:54 am, Victim of Hype <victim_of_h...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 06:09:15 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
> OK... Are you that vested in your paranoia that you won't even call
> the number and find out for yourself?

On a Sunday morning?

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 25, 2010, 12:04:56 PM7/25/10
On Jul 25, 11:42 am, Stephen Sprunk <step...@sprunk.org> wrote:
> On 25 Jul 2010 08:09, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
>
> > On Jul 25, 8:48 am, Victim of Hype <victim_of_h...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> Just call the NYC Transit office of public affairs and ask
> >> them. (646)252-5878
>
> > How does it happen that (if that's a legitimate phone number) you know
> > it?
>
> That's a legit number; two seconds with Google shows it tagged onto the
> end of numerous press releases on MTA's web site.
>
> As to why the media didn't cover the layoffs, that's simple: MTA didn't
> put out a press release.  We all know that most newspapers these days
> simply reprint press releases rather than coming up with anything new of
> their own.

So what's your answer to my earlier question: If this actually
happened, why aren't they crowing about it?

Stephen Sprunk

Jul 25, 2010, 9:22:18 PM7/25/10

Why don't you call them and ask? The number is quoted above.

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 25, 2010, 10:11:55 PM7/25/10
On Jul 25, 9:22 pm, Stephen Sprunk <step...@sprunk.org> wrote:
> On 25 Jul 2010 11:04, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> >> That's a legit number; two seconds with Google shows it tagged onto the
> >> end of numerous press releases on MTA's web site.
>
> >> As to why the media didn't cover the layoffs, that's simple: MTA didn't
> >> put out a press release.  We all know that most newspapers these days
> >> simply reprint press releases rather than coming up with anything new of
> >> their own.
>
> > So what's your answer to my earlier question: If this actually
> > happened, why aren't they crowing about it?
>
> Why don't you call them and ask?  The number is quoted above.

See the reply I posted to your identical question at 12:04 pm today.

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Jul 25, 2010, 10:41:04 PM7/25/10
On Jul 25, 8:35 am, "Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Junior high school practical jokers don't realize how easy it is to
> see through their pranks.

Especially when they answer specific questions with a flippant
response,
"Don't play dumb; you know perfectly well what I'm talking about."

Joseph D. Korman

Jul 26, 2010, 1:58:39 PM7/26/10
Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Jul 25, 11:42 am, Stephen Sprunk <step...@sprunk.org> wrote:

>>> How does it happen that (if that's a legitimate phone number) you know
>>> it?
>>>
>> That's a legit number; two seconds with Google shows it tagged onto the
>> end of numerous press releases on MTA's web site.
>>
>> As to why the media didn't cover the layoffs, that's simple: MTA didn't
>> put out a press release. We all know that most newspapers these days
>> simply reprint press releases rather than coming up with anything new of
>> their own.
>>

> So what's your answer to my earlier question: If this actually
> happened, why aren't they crowing about it?

I called the fellow who took my place when I retired. He confirmed that
there were about 100 layoffs at 2 Broadway two weeks ago. The affected
employees' ID cards were deactivated. There were no extra police or
ambulances that he saw. He told me that there were a few more TA
security employees there to assist the regular staff for the day.

This was part of the layoffs the TA had announced at the beginning of
the year. At the time they were looking at unfilled positions first to
remove them from the budget. That was followed by some retirement buy
outs, then the layoffs.

| Joseph D. Korman |
| mailto:re...@thejoekorner.com |
| Visit The JoeKorNer at |
| http://www.thejoekorner.com |
|-------------------------------------------------|
| The light at the end of the tunnel ... |
| may be a train going the other way! |
| Brooklyn Tech Grads build things that work!('66)|
|-------------------------------------------------|
| All outgoing E-mail is scanned by NAV |

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 26, 2010, 3:49:59 PM7/26/10

So what was posted here was -- precisely -- Hype. (With a bit of
exaggeration and fabrication thrown in.)

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Jul 26, 2010, 4:40:50 PM7/26/10
On Jul 26, 3:49 pm, "Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote:

> So what was posted here was -- precisely -- Hype. (With a bit of
> exaggeration and fabrication thrown in.)

I would not use the term "bit of exaggeration", rather I'd say, "a
great deal of exaggeration and fabrication".

Message has been deleted

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 26, 2010, 6:15:18 PM7/26/10
On Jul 26, 5:56 pm, Victim of Hype <victim_of_h...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 12:49:59 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"

> <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote:
> >So what was posted here was -- precisely -- Hype. (With a bit of
> >exaggeration and fabrication thrown in.)
>
> I guess it's must be disconcerting when the facts get in the way of
> your paranoid assertions. Sorry...

Does someone _really_ need to line up in parallel columns your wild
assertions and the facts of the case?

Bolwerk

Jul 28, 2010, 1:31:43 PM7/28/10

(Sorry if I'm replying to some of these late. Just got back from
Europe, so I'm catching up on posts.)

Steven M. O'Neill wrote:
> Victim of Hype <victim_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:21:40 +0000 (UTC), ste...@panix.com (Steven M.
>> O'Neill) wrote:
>>
>>> You're mad at subprime mortgage lenders?
>> Don't change the subject.
>
> That's the same subject. I'm sorry that people lost their jobs.
> I'm sorry if my post came off as too flip.
>
> But there's are reasons why there is no money right now.
> Namely, the economy tanked, and the state legislature did not
> feel that maintaining transit funding was a priority.

I was pretty optimistic a year ago that the mess in the economy might
finally clean NYS up a little, but it doesn't appear that's going to
happen. If anything, things seem to just get messier.

Any word on the Senate bill to ban OPTO? :|

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Jul 28, 2010, 2:48:57 PM7/28/10
On Jul 28, 1:31 pm, Bolwerk <bolw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> (Sorry if I'm replying to some of these late.  Just got back from
> Europe, so I'm catching up on posts.)

Hope you had a good time.

Did you ride any subways over there? If so, how did they compare to
NYC?

Bolwerk

Jul 28, 2010, 4:17:55 PM7/28/10
hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:
> On Jul 28, 1:31 pm, Bolwerk <bolw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> (Sorry if I'm replying to some of these late. Just got back from
>> Europe, so I'm catching up on posts.)
>
> Hope you had a good time.

Thanks. I did, except for the flying part! :-p

> Did you ride any subways over there? If so, how did they compare to
> NYC?

Each time I go. :-p

I used underground sections of Cologne's and Düsseldorf's services, and
stayed in a hotel along a light rail service on Aachenerstraße in
Cologne. The upsides are that the services are clean and quiet, but the
downside is they're similarly crowded to NYC and there's no AC. The LRT
on Aachenerstraße runs at grade in the middle of the street, but seems
to be achieve running times similar to NYC Subway service with similar
distances between stations. In Düsseldorf, I was in a four-track
underground station looking at a map and didn't hear when a train come
in on the opposite platform - so it's pretty damn quiet compared to what
we're used to.

Fares seemed rather high in Cologne (€2.40, close to $3), but I was only
in Düsseldorf on a type of day group pass that lets you use the regional
DB services as well as city tram services. I traveled there with my
brother and girlfriend, so €29 (~35?) for such a pass is a pretty good
deal - and two more people could have joined us for the same price. I
mainly went to enjoy the famed Altbier, which at its best doesn't import
further than straight from the keg on the premises it was brewed into
your mouth (the style made properly is hard to find outside of
Düsseldorf in any case). Probably the best beer I ever had that wasn't
homebrew.

All rail was POP, and I didn't see an inspector once - neither on the
regional rail or the LRT/underground. I really could have gotten away
with _not_ having that pass. Getting farecards (mostly sold aboard the
train) is a cumbersome process though, but I didn't see many people
bothering - either they have passes, or they're beating. Either way, DB
claims to achieve a very high farebox recovery.

The corporate structure is interesting. DB appears to be more of a
public-private partnership than government agency or even something akin
to our public authority system. I would guess the cities, states
(Länder), and federal government, themselves offer subsidies, though I
didn't ask too many questions about it. Either way, if NYS ever grows a
pair, it might be worth it to look into such a structure to replace the
obviously antiquated Robert Moses public authority.

Peter Schleifer

Jul 29, 2010, 8:42:45 AM7/29/10
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:31:43 -0400, Bolwerk <bol...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Any word on the Senate bill to ban OPTO? :|

If that was in the same bill that would have prevented booth closures,
the Assembly, in a rare show of intelligence, declined to consider the
bill with the reasoning that "I am concerned that this legislation
would force the MTA to make up lost savings through deeper service
cuts or a higher fare," he [Silver] said. "The simple fact is New
Yorkers cannot afford another fare hike or more cuts in service."

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2010/07/23/as-station-agent-vote-looms-an-argument-of-safety/

--
Peter Schleifer
"Save me from the people who would save me from myself"

Bolwerk

Jul 29, 2010, 9:31:51 AM7/29/10
Peter Schleifer wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:31:43 -0400, Bolwerk <bol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Any word on the Senate bill to ban OPTO? :|
>
> If that was in the same bill that would have prevented booth closures,
> the Assembly, in a rare show of intelligence, declined to consider the
> bill with the reasoning that "I am concerned that this legislation
> would force the MTA to make up lost savings through deeper service
> cuts or a higher fare," he [Silver] said. "The simple fact is New
> Yorkers cannot afford another fare hike or more cuts in service."
>
> http://secondavenuesagas.com/2010/07/23/as-station-agent-vote-looms-an-argument-of-safety/

Heh. Silver actually seems more spineless than stupid.

Of course, what they should really be doing it mandating efficiency.

Phil Kane

Jul 29, 2010, 3:30:04 PM7/29/10
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:31:51 -0400, Bolwerk <bol...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Of course, what they should really be doing it mandating efficiency.

That's like mandating sunshine. Good luck!
--

"Stand Clear of the Closing Doors, Please"

Phil Kane - Beaverton, OR
PNW Beburg MP 28.0 - OE District

Bolwerk

Jul 29, 2010, 3:41:23 PM7/29/10
Phil Kane wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:31:51 -0400, Bolwerk <bol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Of course, what they should really be doing it mandating efficiency.
>
> That's like mandating sunshine. Good luck!

Not at all. Efficiency shouldn't hurt them politically. Sunshine is a
killer.