City Hall loop ride off limits?

alex...@aol.com

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
I rode a #6 Labor Day that went express at 14th St. to Brooklyn bridge.
I had to go to canal st. so I decided to it take it and ride NB to canal
after the #6 loops, I noticed platform agents clearing the #6 of
passengers at Brooklyn Bridge.
When the #6 rounded the turn to old city hall station it stopped for a
minute, when it returned to Brooklyn Bridge station northbound, there
was a cop on board.
Is this due to City Hall being off limits to common citizens due the
increased security condition?
And does the City Gov't think that terrorists would use the city hall
loop for an act of anarchy?

Peter T. Daniels

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98

I wanted to ride around the loop one weekend day in January (I actually
needed to, since the local stops were skipped downtown for trackwork)
and they wouldn't let me.
--
Peter T. Daniels gram...@worldnet.att.net

fbyo...@my-dejanews.com

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
In article <35F516...@worldnet.att.net>,

"Peter T. Daniels" <gram...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> alex...@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > I rode a #6 Labor Day that went express at 14th St. to Brooklyn bridge.
> > I had to go to canal st. so I decided to it take it and ride NB to canal
> > after the #6 loops, I noticed platform agents clearing the #6 of
> > passengers at Brooklyn Bridge.
> > When the #6 rounded the turn to old city hall station it stopped for a
> > minute, when it returned to Brooklyn Bridge station northbound, there
> > was a cop on board.
> > Is this due to City Hall being off limits to common citizens due the
> > increased security condition?
> > And does the City Gov't think that terrorists would use the city hall
> > loop for an act of anarchy?

With Guilani, you never know :P

> I wanted to ride around the loop one weekend day in January (I actually
> needed to, since the local stops were skipped downtown for trackwork)
> and they wouldn't let me.

This is strange--I had heard (on this very NG, I think), that the City Hall
loop was no longer classifed as a "yard move", meaning passengers could stay
on board. Perhaps this have changed.

--
Fred B. Young Jr.
Now coming to you live from Pembroke Pines, Florida!

muskrat

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98

Peter T. Daniels wrote in message <35F516...@worldnet.att.net>...

>alex...@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> I rode a #6 Labor Day that went express at 14th St. to Brooklyn bridge.
>> I had to go to canal st. so I decided to it take it and ride NB to canal
>> after the #6 loops, I noticed platform agents clearing the #6 of
>> passengers at Brooklyn Bridge.
>> When the #6 rounded the turn to old city hall station it stopped for a
>> minute, when it returned to Brooklyn Bridge station northbound, there
>> was a cop on board.
>> Is this due to City Hall being off limits to common citizens due the
>> increased security condition?
>> And does the City Gov't think that terrorists would use the city hall
>> loop for an act of anarchy?
>
>I wanted to ride around the loop one weekend day in January (I actually
>needed to, since the local stops were skipped downtown for trackwork)
>and they wouldn't let me.
>--
>Peter T. Daniels gram...@worldnet.att.net

Years ago a conductor I was talking to offered me a three-pronged
explanation for not letting people ride the loop. 1/3 bureaucracy, 2/3
"practical."

1) the train rounding the loop is "not in passenger service", the
same condition as though it were making a yard move. Noone travels from
Brooklyn Bridge to Brooklyn Bridge, so you have no business being on the
train. In theory, at least, you could force a passenger to detrain at a
terminal, even if you let hit right back on.

2) the train could be stuck in the tunnel for a while waiting for a
northbound local to depart Brooklyn Bridge, creating a "situation" with
angered or confused passengers who didn't realize they should have departed.

3) related to (2), if you start letting "knowledgeable" passengers
stay on, while forcing others off, you're creating the potential for
arguments and complaints. Much better CYA to just get everybody off, and not
have to explain to a supervisor why you let this or that one have a ride. Or
worse, have a passenger injured while the train was in a non-service
condition.

In the days when the Brighton, West End and Sea Beach Expresses ended at
57th St., it was common practice for riders with patience to ride one of
these trains north from Times Square or 34th St. in rush hour so they would
have a seat on the southbound run.

But when these same lines ended at Times Square, riders were _not_ permitted
to entrain northbound, and ride through the switchwork.

Paul

gramnome

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
i was in nyc in april and wanted to see the old city hall station.
i just told the conductor of my interest and asked him if it was ok to
stay on and he said "sure, no problem".
no sweat, and i got a look see.
maybe all you got to do is ask nicely?

Lisa or Jeff

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
> maybe all you got to do is ask nicely?

This is NYC. Not permitted. <g>

Seriously, NYC has a bad reputation for rudeness, but when I've visited,
I've found people most helpful in providing directions.

Peter Rosa

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98

Peter T. Daniels <gram...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article

<35F516...@worldnet.att.net>...
> alex...@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > I rode a #6 Labor Day that went express at 14th St. to Brooklyn bridge.
> > I had to go to canal st. so I decided to it take it and ride NB to
canal
> > after the #6 loops, I noticed platform agents clearing the #6 of
> > passengers at Brooklyn Bridge.
> > When the #6 rounded the turn to old city hall station it stopped for a
> > minute, when it returned to Brooklyn Bridge station northbound, there
> > was a cop on board.
> > Is this due to City Hall being off limits to common citizens due the
> > increased security condition?
> > And does the City Gov't think that terrorists would use the city hall
> > loop for an act of anarchy?
>
> I wanted to ride around the loop one weekend day in January (I actually
> needed to, since the local stops were skipped downtown for trackwork)
> and they wouldn't let me.

There was a fatal accident on the City Hall loop a few months ago. It
involved some kids trying to ride between cars, or something like that.
Most likely that incident has led to the change in policy.

Steve Hoskins

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
In article <6t3jmk$ls4$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
fbyo...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>In article <35F516...@worldnet.att.net>,

> "Peter T. Daniels" <gram...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>> alex...@aol.com wrote:
>> >
>> > I rode a #6 Labor Day that went express at 14th St. to Brooklyn bridge.
>> > I had to go to canal st. so I decided to it take it and ride NB to canal
>> > after the #6 loops, I noticed platform agents clearing the #6 of
>> > passengers at Brooklyn Bridge.
>> > When the #6 rounded the turn to old city hall station it stopped for a
>> > minute, when it returned to Brooklyn Bridge station northbound, there
>> > was a cop on board.
>> > Is this due to City Hall being off limits to common citizens due the
>> > increased security condition?
>> > And does the City Gov't think that terrorists would use the city hall
>> > loop for an act of anarchy?
>

>With Guilani, you never know :P
>>

>> I wanted to ride around the loop one weekend day in January (I actually
>> needed to, since the local stops were skipped downtown for trackwork)
>> and they wouldn't let me.
>

>This is strange--I had heard (on this very NG, I think), that the City Hall
>loop was no longer classifed as a "yard move", meaning passengers could stay
>on board. Perhaps this have changed.

I was thinking the same thing, that it was posted right in this newsgroup,
about a year ago, that it was okay to ride the loop.

A.J.Kleipass

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98

Lisa or Jeff wrote in message <6t3ria$a...@netaxs.com>...

That's because those people were from the GREAT City of Brooklyn ! :Ž

A.J. Kleipass owin...@mindspring.com
Webmaster NYO&W Modelers SIG : http://nyow.railfan.net - NY...@railfan.net
Modeling information on the NYO&W and the railroads that served or still
serve her territory.
How long ago a flag fell will not matter so long as there are railfans and
modelers to pick it up again and hand it off to the next generation.

Michael Finfer

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
alex...@aol.com wrote:

> I rode a #6 Labor Day that went express at 14th St. to Brooklyn bridge.
> I had to go to canal st. so I decided to it take it and ride NB to canal
> after the #6 loops, I noticed platform agents clearing the #6 of
> passengers at Brooklyn Bridge.
> When the #6 rounded the turn to old city hall station it stopped for a
> minute, when it returned to Brooklyn Bridge station northbound, there
> was a cop on board.
> Is this due to City Hall being off limits to common citizens due the
> increased security condition?
> And does the City Gov't think that terrorists would use the city hall
> loop for an act of anarchy?

I rode it with a group of railfans-10 or 15 people-in April or May. We
asked the motorman's permission first. He even shut off the lights for
us.

--
Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ

**REMOVE .NOJUNK FROM ADDRESS BEFORE REPLYING**

Peter T. Daniels

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Peter Rosa wrote:

> > I wanted to ride around the loop one weekend day in January (I actually
> > needed to, since the local stops were skipped downtown for trackwork)
> > and they wouldn't let me.
>

> There was a fatal accident on the City Hall loop a few months ago. It
> involved some kids trying to ride between cars, or something like that.
> Most likely that incident has led to the change in policy.

I didn't hear about that; could it have been before May '97?

But I do remember having heard before my January '98 attempt that it was
now ok to stay on.

jam...@psu.edu

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98

alex...@aol.com wrote:

> I rode a #6 Labor Day that went express at 14th St. to Brooklyn bridge.
> I had to go to canal st. so I decided to it take it and ride NB to canal
> after the #6 loops, I noticed platform agents clearing the #6 of
> passengers at Brooklyn Bridge.
> When the #6 rounded the turn to old city hall station it stopped for a
> minute, when it returned to Brooklyn Bridge station northbound, there
> was a cop on board.

I rode the loop early this year, and we did stop after making the loop
before continuing into Brooklyn Bridge station. I think we were waiting for
a signal. It's possible security is being increased to avoid anyone using
the old station as a home, but motorman can get a pretty good view of the
platform area. There's no way into the station other than from the track
area. It's a great station.

Peter Rosa

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98

Peter T. Daniels <gram...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<35F614...@worldnet.att.net>...

It was a lot more recent than that, no more than a few months ago. In
fact, I believe the incident was discussed on this newsgroup; you might be
able to find the thread through DejaNews.

Jeffrey L. Bromberger

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
In article <35F515...@aol.com>, <alex...@aol.com> wrote:
>Is this due to City Hall being off limits to common citizens due the
>increased security condition?
>And does the City Gov't think that terrorists would use the city hall
>loop for an act of anarchy?

The City Hall station is now a "highly secured" area. In fact, it was
so secured, that the Transit Museum (last week) could not take us onto
the platform...

It seems that the change in policy was early last week (1 Sept?). Not
only can't you get off at the station, but you are no longer allowed
to ride the loop.

Yes, Rudy is afraid that terrorists will get to him. Just look at how
City Hall Park is now divided with Jersey barriers. In fact, you
cannot even get to the upper portions of the skylights because they,
too, are secured.

Mark (from the museum) was unsure about whether or not they would even
be able to get access for Day One tours. He kind of said that they
might be out of luck until sometime in January... :-(

Jeffrey L. Bromberger -- Senior Systems Administrator -- ILX Systems, Inc.
je...@ilx.com ---- jef...@tram.com ---- +1.212.510.3224
PGP 2.6.2 Public key available upon request http://www.tram.com/~jeffrey

Rogue3

Sep 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/12/98
>> maybe all you got to do is ask nicely?

> This is NYC. Not permitted. <g>

Actually, I did ask nicely. I told whoever that I was an architecture student
and was interested in seeing the station. Which was kind of true. But he let me
through.

Mitch Sako

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
I was just on it today talking to a driver and he said it
had to do with the terrorist on trial now and the fear
of a bomb. He told me he would have taken me through
with him if he had known I was a train buff.

Rogue3 (rog...@aol.com) wrote:
: >> maybe all you got to do is ask nicely?

"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people who
ask questions." - Chris Berman

Jerry Abrams

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
Mitch Sako wrote:

> I was just on it today talking to a driver and he said it
> had to do with the terrorist on trial now and the fear
> of a bomb. He told me he would have taken me through
> with him if he had known I was a train buff.

I was told today by someone on the recent "Above/Below City Hall"
transit working tour that they could not go into the City Hall Station.

To reply: Remove xyz from name.

alex...@aol.com

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98

I sent in my check for the upcoming Lo-V Trip, Oh no!,
Maybe we won't be able to stop at old city hall station.
what a downer......
BUT... today monday at 8:20pm, I saw a guy stay on the #6 for the loop
ride.
There were no platform agents at bklyn. bridge to force people to get
off.

Alexcomm

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98

Remember there's a working lay up track now just south of brooklyn bridge, you
don't want to motel the night in a dark, cold R-62A or Redbird....instead of
riding old city hall loop......