New @OldNYC.com: Gowanus Viaduct Tour

Tom Scannello

Mar 26, 2001, 2:45:13 AM3/26/01
A new virtual tour has been added to www.OldNYC.com : The Gowanus Expressway
Viaduct Virtual Tour!

Constructed as an elevated viaduct along most of its route, the Gowanus
hovers high above the Brooklyn neighborhoods of Red Hook, Gowanus, and
Sunset Park. Unfortunately, time and weathering have started to take a toll
on the structure. The Gowanus viaduct is
quickly approaching the end of its useful life. A long term solution - such
as a completely new highway viaduct, or a
deep-bored tunnel - must be constructed relatively soon. As urban planners,
environmentalists, engineers, community groups,
and politicians battle it out to eventually decide the future of the
Gowanus, the viaduct continues to take a pounding from
vehicle traffic and the elements.

OldNYC.com takes a critical look at the "underbelly" of the Gowanus, as we
examine the infrastructure of this very controversial expressway viaduct.

TS
www.OldNYC.com

Joel Rubin

Mar 26, 2001, 10:07:47 AM3/26/01
When was the current Gowanus structure built? I think it was very much
widened and modernized when the Verazzano Bridge was built around the
World's Fair.

Would a deep bore tunnel be feasible over this route? Notice that up
near the Gowanus Canal is, AFAIK, the only place where there is an
elevated structure which was built for the IND. (AFAIK all other
elevated stretches on the IND were originally built for the BRT/BMT
such as the Fulton St. El in Ozone Park.)

Tom Scannello

Mar 26, 2001, 10:45:33 AM3/26/01
Joel Rubin <jmr...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> When was the current Gowanus structure built? I think it was very much
> widened and modernized when the Verazzano Bridge was built around the
> World's Fair.

According to nycroads.com, "The Gowanus Parkway project, including the
widened Third Avenue for local truck traffic, was completed on October 1,
1941." Additionally, "The Gowanus Expressway widening project and Bay Ridge
bridge approach were completed in 1964."

> Would a deep bore tunnel be feasible over this route? Notice that up
> near the Gowanus Canal is, AFAIK, the only place where there is an
> elevated structure which was built for the IND. (AFAIK all other
> elevated stretches on the IND were originally built for the BRT/BMT
> such as the Fulton St. El in Ozone Park.)

The Gowanus Canal section is going to be a tricky proposition for highway
engineers. They have the Prospect Expressway interchange, the canal, the
Brooklyn-Battery tunnel toll interchange and the Brooklyn-Queens expressway
trench area to contend with. The area should be an interesting engineering
challenge, to say in the least. Can't wait to see what they come up with!

TS
www.OldNYC.com

Paul Matus

Mar 26, 2001, 10:56:35 AM3/26/01

"Joel Rubin" <jmr...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
The Rockaway Line was originally built for the LIRR or its predecessors. I
fyou want to fudge the meaning of "built for the IND" to include
post-Unification construction, you could include the ramp to the Culver Line
north of Ditmas Ave. and the ramp to the Liberty Ave. (Fulton St.) el east
of Grant Ave. If you want to include any outdoor passenger line, include the
"World's Fair Railroad."

Otherwise, only the Smith-9th area.

TIM

Mar 27, 2001, 12:05:33 AM3/27/01

"Paul Matus" <pma...@optonline.net> wrote in message

Love to see the highway rebuilt in a cut with underpasses as the area around
the Gowanus is in need of a lift.

Shalom Septimus

Mar 29, 2001, 2:28:50 PM3/29/01
On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:07:47 -0500, Joel Rubin <jmr...@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>(AFAIK all other
>elevated stretches on the IND were originally built for the BRT/BMT
>such as the Fulton St. El in Ozone Park.)

One other that I know about: the Rockaways elevated line, which was
built by the TA in 1956 to replace a former LIRR surface line.