Vehicles stolen in Canada shipped overseas

mastermind

Jul 11, 2009, 4:42:12 PM7/11/09
Interesting article. Makes one wonder how the hell any police or 'border security' is
supposed to stop guns and drugs from entering Canada when they can't even stop something the
size of an automobile from being shipped out of the country. And they're all likely being
"shipped" not flown.
______________________

TORONTO STAR - July 11, 2009

Vehicles stolen in GTA shipped around the world

Police increasingly powerless to stop containers of hot vehicles leaving Canada

Countless vehicles stolen in the GTA become cheap family rides in countries around the world.
Others, it's believed, are used as bombs in the world's hot spots.

Overall, more vehicles stolen here are being shipped abroad than ever before, a Star
investigation has found. Two factors have exacerbated the problem: Canadian border officials
don't routinely check shipping containers to see if the cars inside are stolen, and police
auto theft squads have weakened over time.

Local police admit they are increasingly powerless to stop the estimated 2,100 people
involved in the illegal trade in the GTA.

Canadian drivers pay for this in rising premiums as insurance companies struggle to reclaim
$1.2 billion a year from losses related to car theft. The Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC)
has long estimated some 20,000 stolen cars are exported from Canada annually. They now say
that is a lowball estimate.

Like many Canadian cars "stolen to order" every day, the 2008 Honda Accord belonging to
Farzine Nasseri and his wife, Shohreh Hamzei, was taken from their Thornhill driveway and
shipped for a buyer overseas looking to get a sedan for half price.

Just before 7 a.m. on Feb. 17, their 12-year-old son, Burna, walked out into the frosty air,
unlocked his parents' six-month-old Honda, turned on the engine, cranked the heater, then
walked the five metres back to the front door.

What he and his parents didn't realize is that the $34,000 olive green car was being watched.

Two minutes later, ready for work, Hamzei discovered the car was gone.

"I was shocked that the front of our driveway is not safe," says Nasseri, 48, a research
scientist at the University of Toronto.

When police arrived, they told him the car was likely already in a container heading
overseas.

In fact, the Nasseris' Honda was moved by rail from Brampton to Montreal. Four days later, a
freight forwarder signed off on the paperwork and the car and five other stolen GTA vehicles
were in cargo containers on the freighter Patras, bound for Rotterdam, police say.

Two weeks later, York Regional Police arrested a man stealing a car. They found a number of
items in his home that were reportedly in cars that had disappeared over the last two years.

By then, the Nasseris' Honda was in Rotterdam, waiting for the ship to take it to Tema, a
port city in Ghana.

On March 18, Dutch customs officers opened three suspect containers in Rotterdam and found
the Nasseris' car.

Roger Shearer, 41, is facing a total of 42 counts of theft over $5,000 and possession of
stolen property over $5,000 in connection with the Nasseris' Honda and other vehicles.

CARS, TRUCKS and heavy equipment stolen from Ontario have been seen - sometimes still with
Ontario licence plates - in Russia, Ukraine, Sweden, Bosnia, Croatia, the Netherlands, China,
Thailand, and across Africa and the Middle East.

GTA detectives say while some stolen cars are sold to families overseas, others are used for
criminal acts.

An Ottawa man's 2002 BMW X5 - a brand new, $50,000 vehicle - was exported from Montreal in
December 2001. It arrived in Belgium and was later shipped to Croatia.

It blew up on the streets of Sarajevo in March 2004.

"People think this is a victimless crime," says Stephen Boyd, an investigator with the
Ontario Provincial Police, "that the insurance companies pay out for the cars and no one gets
hurt. But it's not."

Greg Terp, former chair of the North American Export Committee, says international terrorist
groups including Al Qaeda either sell stolen North American vehicles to fund their activities
or use them for terrorist acts.

He notes that a big U.S. vehicle will have an easier time getting into the safe zones than
your everyday 20-year-old Iraqi clunker.

In November 2004, U.S. forces raided a bomb-making facility in the central Iraqi city of
Fallujah. They found a GMC Suburban stolen from Houston, Texas, ready to be turned into a
mobile explosive device.

TEN YEARS AGO the Provincial Auto Theft Team (PATT) had 48 officers attached to it, 23 of
them dedicated full time. It's now down to 15.

PATT was established in 1995 as a joint task force involving the OPP, the Insurance Bureau of
Canada, the Canada Border Services Agency and local police forces, to stop auto theft rings.
But the border services, along with Toronto, York and Peel police, has since left the team.

Toronto's auto theft squad used to have around 30 officers assigned to it. Toronto now has 10
officers assigned full time to auto theft.

York Regional Police has 11 officers attached to its auto squad. Peel has eight. Durham has
just one.

The reduction in auto theft squads is partly the result of official statistics showing the
number of cars stolen is in decline. Toronto police say stolen vehicle figures dropped to
8,447 in 2007 from 12,600 in 1999.

But those figures are misleading. The number of stolen cars recovered has also dropped. In
1990, police recovered 90 per cent of stolen cars. Now, it is 50 per cent.

That's about half of all cars stolen in a conventional heist, or through fraud in which
someone using fake ID rents or leases a vehicle and then disappears with it.

The latter two are considered contractual matters and not theft, which is why investigators
believe the number of vehicles stolen in Ontario is much higher than the 35,000 in 2007 cited
by Statistics Canada.

Huw Williams, spokesperson for the Canadian Automobile Dealers Association, says Canadian
dealers lose millions from identity thieves who walk into dealerships, lease a vehicle, then
disappear with a month's head start before their first lease payment doesn't materialize.

SHIPPING A CONTAINER filled with stolen cars under the current legislation is relatively
easy.

Before a container can be exported, a customs declaration must be completed identifying,
among other things, the shipper, the contents of the container and the destination.

A container with three vehicles inside can be shipped from Toronto to Ghana for $4,000, and
there's no requirement that a freight forwarder provide written consent for the shipment from
the owner of the vehicle being shipped. An Ontario Court Justice, in a stolen car case five
years ago, called this "a serious defect in the law."

Customs agents are unlikely to investigate a container suspected of carrying stolen cars
because they say they're not responsible for preventing stolen goods from exiting Canada.

"(Inside the Customs Act) there's no legislation on stopping stolen goods from being shipped
out of the country," says Patrizia Giolti, spokeswoman for the Canada Border Services Agency.

Police, border agents, insurance companies and car manufacturers say Canada's auto theft laws
are too weak.

Stealing, driving or shipping a stolen vehicle in Canada, if caught, results in a charge
under the Criminal Code of possession of stolen property over $5,000 or with theft over
$5,000. Repeat offenders and those charged with multiple thefts rarely face jail time.
^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Police say they are consistently arresting the same cast of characters.

"They're just the foot soldiers," says Paul Lasalle, a York auto squad detective. The "big
players," he says, are the freight forwarders who either knowingly or unknowingly allow
stolen vehicles to be placed in their containers and then produce falsified documents for the
Canada Border Services Agency, declaring a container's contents.

A freight forwarder in the GTA with contacts in Ghana, Russia or elsewhere might receive
orders for certain types of cars found in driveways and on dealer lots across the GTA. Within
a week, containers filled with cars, stolen to order, could be on the high seas.

"The problem (with arresting a freight forwarder) is proving knowledge," says Lasalle. Police
must prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the person knows what is in the container.

Police and the Insurance Bureau have long been calling for tougher legislation. Some believe
it is on the horizon with the federal Conservatives' Bill C-26, which would add a new offence
to the Criminal Code for theft of a motor vehicle. A mandatory prison sentence would follow a
third conviction.

Altering a vehicle identification number would become an offence, while those convicted of
trafficking stolen cars could get five years in jail.

The bill, currently waiting Senate approval, would also allow the Canada Border Services
Agency to prevent cross-border movement of property obtained through crime.
_______________________

Yeah, right. They can't do it now, so a Bill would help them to catch these thieves and
exporters?

Canuck57

Jul 11, 2009, 6:32:20 PM7/11/09

"mastermind" <maste...@work.now> wrote in message

> Interesting article. Makes one wonder how the hell any police or 'border
> security' is
> supposed to stop guns and drugs from entering Canada when they can't even
> stop something the
> size of an automobile from being shipped out of the country. And they're
> all likely being
> "shipped" not flown.

Canada customs is about to serve their masters and collect from us. Take
the taser until still incident in Vancouver. How long was he in a secure
area without being helped or questioned?

Government looks as an stolen and exported vehicle as an opportunity to get
more GST. You know if you came back from the US with a vehicle purchased
there that they would be like mosquitos to fresh blood.

Canada Customs is about protecting statism, nothing more.

LC

Jul 11, 2009, 6:37:43 PM7/11/09
mastermind wrote:

> Interesting article. Makes one wonder how the hell any police or
> 'border security' is supposed to stop guns and drugs from entering
> Canada when they can't even stop something the size of an automobile
> from being shipped out of the country. And they're all likely being
> "shipped" not flown.
> ______________________

Thoughts like that should gain you a Nobel Prize

Jul 11, 2009, 7:21:54 PM7/11/09
mastermind wrote

> Interesting article. Makes one wonder how the hell any police or 'border security' is
> supposed to stop guns and drugs from entering Canada when they can't even stop something the
> size of an automobile from being shipped out of the country. And they're all likely being
> "shipped" not flown.

If you read the fucking article, you would see that they were in container
ships. Moron. And the USA only inspects 5% of shipping containers entering
and leaving the country. While Bush was blowing $billions to save the world
from Iran and North Korea's massive rocket programs, the best way to wipe out
millions would be to put a war head in a shipping container and detonate it
when the time came. Preferably around the great lakes, where it would
contaminate the drinking water of 30% of North America's population.

But noo! Bush thinks that shooting down rockets is the cure!

You must be some kind of Einstein. Any plans of buying a chalk board and
teaching us a lesson in Quantum Physics?

mastermind

Jul 11, 2009, 7:57:03 PM7/11/09

"X" <x...@y.com> wrote in message news:MPG.24c2e89be...@news.x-privat.org...

> If you read the fucking article, you would see that they were in container
> ships. Moron.

Of course they were "in container ships", Moron. How else do you suppose things are SHIPPED?

And the USA only inspects 5% of shipping containers entering
> and leaving the country. While Bush was blowing $billions to save the world
> from Iran and North Korea's massive rocket programs, the best way to wipe out
> millions would be to put a war head in a shipping container and detonate it
> when the time came. Preferably around the great lakes, where it would
> contaminate the drinking water of 30% of North America's population.

What the hell does this have to do with the USA - or Bush - or North Korea - or war heads?
Are you on acid, or are you usually this belligerent and off-topic?

This is a CANADIAN article, posted to only Canadian newsgroups, and not to the "alt.idiots"
newsgroup you injected. - Or were you more comfortable in that newsgroup?

> But noo! Bush thinks that shooting down rockets is the cure!
>
> You must be some kind of Einstein. Any plans of buying a chalk board and
> teaching us a lesson in Quantum Physics?

If I truly were an Einstein, I'd apply the formula that wouldn't allow people like you to be
conceived or procreate.

Übermensch

Jul 11, 2009, 8:10:22 PM7/11/09
On Jul 11, 7:57 pm, "mastermind" <masterm...@work.now> wrote:
> > mastermind wrote
> > > Interesting article.  Makes one wonder how the hell any police or 'border security' is
> > > supposed to stop guns and drugs from entering Canada when they can't even stop something
> the
> > > size of an automobile from being shipped out of the country.  And they're all likely
> being
> > > "shipped" not flown.
> "X" <x...@y.com> wrote in messagenews:MPG.24c2e89be...@news.x-privat.org...

> > If you read the fucking article, you would see that they were in container
> > ships.  Moron.
>
> Of course they were "in container ships", Moron.  How else do you suppose things are SHIPPED?

Hi mastermind.

I was wondering why you said that the automobiles were likely being

shipped, not flown. When the report clearly says:

"In fact, the Nasseris' Honda was moved by rail from Brampton to
Montreal. Four days later, a
freight forwarder signed off on the paperwork and the car and five
other stolen GTA vehicles
were in cargo containers on the freighter Patras, bound for Rotterdam,
police say."

You are blustering a lot, but are avoiding what he said.

Probably because he made you look the fool.

Dave Smith

Jul 11, 2009, 9:11:24 PM7/11/09
mastermind wrote:
> Interesting article. Makes one wonder how the hell any police or 'border security' is
> supposed to stop guns and drugs from entering Canada when they can't even stop something the
> size of an automobile from being shipped out of the country. And they're all likely being
> "shipped" not flown.

This is news? It has been going on for years.

mastermind

Jul 11, 2009, 9:17:51 PM7/11/09

"�bermensch" <igorel...@ymail.com> wrote in message
Hi mastermind.

I was wondering why you said that the automobiles were likely being
shipped, not flown. When the report clearly says:

"In fact, the Nasseris' Honda was moved by rail from Brampton to
Montreal. Four days later, a freight forwarder signed off on the paperwork and the car and
five
other stolen GTA vehicles were in cargo containers on the freighter Patras, bound for
Rotterdam,
police say."

You are blustering a lot, but are avoiding what he said.

Probably because he made you look the fool.

Do you know what a "freighter" is, "�bermensch" ? Start there. And stop proving yourself
"the fool".

("�bermensch" - an being with an antisocial mindset, an inhuman charisma, an atheist, and
amoral)

mastermind

Jul 11, 2009, 9:32:14 PM7/11/09

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> This is news? It has been going on for years.

And the wondrous "new government" of Stephen Harper can't do anything about it? How the hell
does he think he's going to win the war against the Taliban in Afghanistan then?

Luke Lewis

Jul 11, 2009, 9:43:17 PM7/11/09
mastermind wrote

Just watch out for your airbags and the exhaust system of your car.

The thieves will leave the rest.

That's because the airbags are worth (no matter what the age of your car, the
older, the better in some cases) about $1,000 a pop to replace, so there's a
black market for them. All that takes is a broken window and a screw driver.

And the tail pipe? There was a run on them by thieves because catalytic
converters use Platinum. So, when the price of that precious metal was high
on the market, they would go to your car, use a power hacksaw, cut it off and
nick it!

So, you get back to the car, fire it up and it sounds like a bloody race car.
And you're insurance company? They pay the tab, minus deductible.

Message has been deleted

Luke Lewis

Jul 11, 2009, 10:32:48 PM7/11/09
Nobody wrote
> mastermind wrote:
>
> > [quoted text muted]

> >> This is news? It has been going on for years.
> >
> > And the wondrous "new government" of Stephen Harper can't do
> > anything about it?
>
> Did you get the part of it going on for YEARS? This means that all
> the previous governments did nothing about it. I find it hilarious
> how you morons try to blame everything that has been going on in the
> past on Harper. Try to get a clue.

"you morons"?

Buddy, you're dealing with "mastermind", not anyone else.

Who are you referring to when you say "you morons"?

Other morons? Or a particular political persuasion?

I admit. Blaming Harper for auto thefts and a robust trade in stolen cars is
stupid. It's right up there with Toronto Mayor Miller blaming a lack of US
border security for letting illegal firearms into Canada, when it's our job to
stop them. Or, the Americans blaming us for letting terrorists into their
country, when it's their job to stop them.

But he's speaking for himself. Not me, and not anyone else here.

Message has been deleted

Gerrald Arnasen

Jul 12, 2009, 1:07:45 PM7/12/09

"mastermind" <maste...@work.now> wrote in message

With the aid of the leader of the "New" Democratic Party, Taliban Jack?

Dave Smith

Jul 12, 2009, 5:16:46 PM7/12/09
Nobody wrote:
> mastermind wrote:

> Did you get the part of it going on for YEARS? This means that all
> the previous governments did nothing about it. I find it hilarious
> how you morons try to blame everything that has been going on in the
> past on Harper. Try to get a clue.
>

>> How the hell does he think he's going to win
>> the war against the Taliban in Afghanistan then?
>

> You think car theft is comparable to the issue in Afghanistan?> You
> truly are a clueless fool.

Good think that he didn't come across an article about how so many cars
end up on reservations, another problem that has been going on for years.

Message has been deleted