Re: Unable to connect to database

Shaun Pond

Apr 13, 2005, 4:03:19 PM4/13/05
..and *is* the database up and running?

--

Shaun Pond

gsa...@everity.ca

Apr 13, 2005, 3:09:50 PM4/13/05
Hello,

I'm having trouble connecting to my zenworks 6.5 inventory db. When I go
to Tools - Configure DB and select the database I get:

Unable to connect to database. Ensure that database object properties
are set properly and Database is up and running.

this was working fine up until a couple of days ago. I'm not sure what
has happened. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Shaun Pond

Apr 13, 2005, 5:01:40 PM4/13/05

gsa...@evertiy.ca

Apr 13, 2005, 4:36:26 PM4/13/05
yes the database IS up and running. No changes have been made since last
access.

> ...and *is* the database up and running?
>
> --
>
> Shaun Pond

12...@1234.com

Apr 14, 2005, 6:33:03 PM4/14/05

wrote:

>http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10097151.htm

Hi - I'm having the exact same issue and the TID did NOT correct the
problem. There seems to be some "issue" (feature?) with SP1 that
breaks the inventory. If you re-load C1 and the snapins from the
original 6.5 CD, you can configure the database just fine. You are
then stuck when you attempt to do an Inventory Query and it tells you
"The configured database is not a compatible database. You are trying
to access the later version of the ZENworks database." So, good tech
that you are, you install C1 with the 6.5 SP1 CD and you're back at
the start of this thread. You can't configure the database.
So.........

I've seen this in this forum ALOT! But nothing I've tried has helped
anything. Is Novell aware of this issue AND are they doing anything
about it?

Bob

Shaun Pond

Apr 15, 2005, 2:52:41 AM4/15/05
that issue is always mismatched snapins.

--

Shaun Pond

12...@1234.com

Apr 18, 2005, 11:35:58 AM4/18/05
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 06:52:41 GMT, Shaun Pond <sh...@false.email>
wrote:

>that issue is always mismatched snapins.

That may very well be.

But what's the fix. That's the question.

If you install C1 fresh from the original CD, you can attach to the
database but can't do an inventory query. If you add the the SP1
snap-ins to that original install, you can't attach to the database at
all.

If you follow the above procedure, how can you get mismatched
snap-ins? Is there some trick I'm missing? Could it be possible some
of the files SP1 needs to overwrite are somehow marked read only and
aren't being written?

Is there a list somewhere of all the files and dates for the original
snap-ins and the ones that get changed when you add SP1?

Shaun Pond

Apr 18, 2005, 2:37:37 PM4/18/05
have you followed the TID to deal with the duplicate inventory service
objects?

--

Shaun Pond

12...@1234.com

Apr 18, 2005, 3:35:22 PM4/18/05
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:37:37 GMT, Shaun Pond <sh...@false.email>
wrote:

>have you followed the TID to deal with the duplicate inventory service
>objects?

Yes - I sure did. It didn't change a thing. I haven't had a chance to
do a full re-boot of the server but I did stop and re-start the
inventory service with no change. Anything else I can try?

I seem to have 2 "Novell Desktop Management" snapins.

First one indicates it is for "configuring policy settings" and is
version 6.5.1.0

Next one is for "administering and managing software distribution" and
it's version 6.5.1.0 (20041122)

Is this normal to have 2?

We have an audit coming up soon and I sure would like to be able to
show them something with the inventory.

Thanks for staying with this Shaun.

Shaun Pond

Apr 19, 2005, 1:42:47 AM4/19/05
any errors shown on the inventory screen?

--

Shaun Pond

12...@1234.com

Apr 19, 2005, 11:41:19 AM4/19/05
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 05:42:47 GMT, Shaun Pond <sh...@false.email>
wrote:

>any errors shown on the inventory screen?

All I'm getting is "Date" - "Time" Created workstation. No errors.

Shaun Pond

Apr 19, 2005, 2:53:19 PM4/19/05
I meant when it starts - have you increased the logging level?
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10093312.htm

--

Shaun Pond

12...@1234.com

Apr 19, 2005, 3:47:34 PM4/19/05

Sorry - I looked at the workstation import screen - I'm getting

"Storer: started storing..........."
"Storer: successfully stored........"

I'm also able to go in with C1 version 1.3.5 and configure the
database just fine. Just can't with C1 1.3.6 after installing Zen 6.5
SP1

Hope that helps.

Bob

12...@1234.com

Apr 19, 2005, 5:58:34 PM4/19/05
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:29:04 GMT, "Tony Pedretti"
<yno...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>I had the exact same issue. That is ZDM 6.5 SP1 and using ConsoleOne 1.3.6d trying to
>configure a up and running Sybase database.
>Started to realize that our ZFD 3.2 SP3 snapins which we upgraded from worked as well as
>ZDM 6.5 (non-SP1) snap-ins.
>
>Finally isolated it to the SP1-build of InventorySnapins.jar in ..\1.2\snapins\zen\
>Back-revving it to the shipping ZDM 6.5 build allows you to configure the database. You
>can also leave the rest of the snapins and other files at the SP1 build.

Thank you so very much Tony!!! What a simple fix!

Now, would it be possible to ask the sysops in here to report this to
Novell? Sure seems like a bug to me!

Tony Pedretti

Apr 19, 2005, 4:29:04 PM4/19/05
I had the exact same issue. That is ZDM 6.5 SP1 and using ConsoleOne 1.3.6d trying to
configure a up and running Sybase database.
Started to realize that our ZFD 3.2 SP3 snapins which we upgraded from worked as well as
ZDM 6.5 (non-SP1) snap-ins.

Finally isolated it to the SP1-build of InventorySnapins.jar in ..\1.2\snapins\zen\
Back-revving it to the shipping ZDM 6.5 build allows you to configure the database. You
can also leave the rest of the snapins and other files at the SP1 build.

--
Tony Pedretti
TransUnion Corporation

Shaun Pond

Apr 20, 2005, 7:25:19 AM4/20/05
Tony,

what versions are those?

--

Shaun Pond

Tony Pedretti

Apr 20, 2005, 9:46:01 AM4/20/05
Versions? I don't see version numbers in the properties of jar files.

How about file dates?...
Working 6.5 build 6/8/2004
"Broken" 6.5 SP1 (prior to a) build 2/11/2005

12...@1234.com

Apr 20, 2005, 10:19:39 AM4/20/05
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:46:01 GMT, "Tony Pedretti"
<yno...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>Versions? I don't see version numbers in the properties of jar files.
>
>How about file dates?...
>Working 6.5 build 6/8/2004
>"Broken" 6.5 SP1 (prior to a) build 2/11/2005

I concur and have the same file dates. Thanks again Tony!

Shaun Pond

Apr 20, 2005, 2:47:54 PM4/20/05
Tony,

OK, I have the "broken" snapin installed - and I can configure DB no
problem...

--

Shaun Pond

Tony Pedretti

Apr 20, 2005, 5:01:39 PM4/20/05
Shaun,

Strange as it is I can reproduce it fairly consistently. With C1 on our ZDM server and
local copies.
That is clean install of C1 1.3.6d (copied 1.2 folder and renamed to test), copy ZDM 6.5
snapins into rennamed 1.2 folders which works fine. Then copy all the newer files from
C1-ZDM 6.5 SP1 folders or just InventorySnapins.jar and it breaks.

Is there any other way to debug or isolate the snapins further?

Shaun Pond

Apr 20, 2005, 5:23:42 PM4/20/05
Tony,

start with -debug -windowout ?
I will try with 1.3.6d tomorrow...

--

Shaun Pond

Tony Pedretti

Apr 21, 2005, 8:57:26 AM4/21/05
Shaun,

I've emailed you a debug text file running C1 1.3.6d with all ZDM 6.5 SP1 snapins and
those parameters. Went straight to our ZENworks container then unsuccessfully configuring
the DB.

Shaun Pond

Apr 21, 2005, 9:30:58 AM4/21/05
Tony,

in the database object - change the name from MW_WRITER to MW_UPDATER

--

Shaun Pond

Shaun Pond

Apr 21, 2005, 9:30:59 AM4/21/05

Tony Pedretti

Apr 22, 2005, 5:18:45 PM4/22/05
Shaun,

Definitely not earning any brilliant comments with this one. The name changed worked with
the SP1-build of InventorySnapins.jar.
And I saw that TID when I first came upon this error, but ignored it when I saw the
following lines and thought it wouldn't apply...

Configure DB errors for Oracle and MS SQL databases.
The usernames for Database Read Only and Database Write Only on the Database Object have
changed for Oracle and MS SQL databases with the release of ZfD6.5 SP1.

Maybe the word Sybase can be added in there?

Thanks,

Tony

Shaun Pond

Apr 22, 2005, 5:27:28 PM4/22/05
Tony,

your wish is my command - by tomorrow, the TID will cover all
databases...

--

Shaun Pond

12...@1234.com

Apr 25, 2005, 12:39:48 PM4/25/05
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:30:59 GMT, Shaun Pond <sh...@false.email>
wrote:

>Tony,
>
>http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10096843.htm

Hi,

Just a quick follow-up to this thread. I just found out this morning
if you use the Zen65 - SP1 InventorySnapins.jar file after changing
the database object as per the TID above, you can't go into the
"Software Inventory Configuration" of the Inventory Service Object
(Servername_ZenInvService). It just gives you an hourglass and won't
allow you in. You still need to backrev to the original Zen 6.5
InventorySnapins.jar file to be able to do that.

Bob

Shaun Pond

Apr 25, 2005, 5:35:06 PM4/25/05
looks like that's true - I'll need to look at this tomorrow...

--

Shaun Pond

Shaun Pond

Apr 27, 2005, 4:16:12 AM4/27/05
nope, all you need is a little patience - first time I did this, it
took about 30 seconds before I got in, it was pretty instantaneous
after that. Please DON'T back rev individual files, you have no idea
what will happen, and there's no way that Novell can support you...

--

Shaun Pond

Tony Pedretti

Apr 27, 2005, 9:35:12 AM4/27/05
Sorry about that. Just a workaround I found during troubleshooting.

Shaun Pond

Apr 27, 2005, 10:41:27 AM4/27/05
Tony,

just making sure people are aware... ;)

--

Shaun Pond

12...@1234.com

Apr 27, 2005, 11:02:24 AM4/27/05
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:16:12 GMT, Shaun Pond <sh...@false.email>
wrote:

>nope, all you need is a little patience - first time I did this, it

I get what you mean about back-rev'ing.
I understand and will follow that advise.

30 seconds would be more than acceptable. I waited over 10 minutes and
it never would let me there. After going back to the original file, it
only took about 5 secs! Until SP 2 comes out, I'm staying with the
original 6.5 file.

Shaun Pond

Apr 27, 2005, 12:47:43 PM4/27/05
can you start C1 with -debug -windowout, click on the box that comes
up, and ignore the dire warnings. Open the object, then clear the log.
If you click on the software settings, you should see "stuff"
happening. I'd be interested in a copy of that log...

--

Shaun Pond

12...@1234.com

Apr 29, 2005, 2:57:16 PM4/29/05
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:47:43 GMT, Shaun Pond <sh...@false.email>
wrote:

>can you start C1 with -debug -windowout, click on the box that comes

Hi Shaun,

Sorry for the delay in getting these to you. It was Hell day
yesterday!

I'll post 2. One that worked and one that didn't. The one that worked
used the original 6.5 InventorySnapins.jar file and the one that
didn't work used the jar file from SP1. The one that didn't work I
waited 5 minutes. The one that did work brought up the Software
Dictionary in about 6 secs.
FYI - I changed the server and tree name

********************This one didn't work:*****************

Check if container : true
SWDictionaryUtilities:Loaded SWDictionaryHelpFiles.properties
successfully
Suren, ISSyncSchedule getTreeInfo() called with OE
'ServerName_ZenInvService' returns: true
SWDictionarySWConfigurationSnapin:initSnapin:called.....
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:isInventoryServerSWDictionaryCompatiable....
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:zenInvComponentStatus =6.5 12 0
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:invServerVersion =6.5
SWDictionarySWConfigurationPage:SWDictionarySWConfigurationlPage
SWDictionaryFiltersSnapin:initSnapin:called.....
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:isInventoryServerSWDictionaryCompatiable....
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:zenInvComponentStatus =6.5 12 0
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:invServerVersion =6.5
SWDictionaryFiltersPage:SWDictionaryFiltersPage
SWDictionaryAliasSnapin:initSnapin:called.....
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:isInventoryServerSWDictionaryCompatiable....
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:zenInvComponentStatus =6.5 12 0
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:invServerVersion =6.5
SWDictionaryAliasPage:SWDictionaryAliasPage
SnapinPreferences.getObject: persist =
com.novell.utility.persistence.Persistence@e62121 key =
NDS$zeninvService
SnapinClassLoader could not load bytes for resource TracerMedia
Returning null.
Server name found = \\ServerName
[Version] Novell NetWare 5.60.04[DS]
[Paramesh] - BasicRole 0
[Paramesh] - roleIndex 1
SWDictionarySWConfigurationPage: setActive
SWDictionarySWConfigurationPage:layoutControls
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
com.novell.zenworks.desktop.inventory.snapins.UIUtilities.ZenWorksButton.<init>(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V
at
com.novell.zenworks.inventory.snapins.swdict.SWDictionarySWConfigurationPage.getConfigureDictionaryEditButton(SWDictionarySWConfigurationPage.java:355)
at
com.novell.zenworks.inventory.snapins.swdict.SWDictionarySWConfigurationPage.layoutControls(SWDictionarySWConfigurationPage.java:112)
at
com.novell.admin.common.ui.AdminPage.setActive(AdminPage.java)
at
com.novell.zenworks.inventory.snapins.swdict.SWDictionarySWConfigurationPage.setActive(SWDictionarySWConfigurationPage.java:182)
at
com.novell.admin.common.snapins.AdminPageSnapin.setActive(AdminPageSnapin.java)
at com.novell.utility.mpec.MPEC.gainFocus(MPEC.java)
at
com.novell.application.console.widgets.NTabs.switchTab(NTabbedPane.java)
at
com.novell.application.console.widgets.NTabs.processMouseEvent(NTabbedPane.java)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3598)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1623)
at
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:3450)
at
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3162)
at
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3095)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1609)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:197)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:150)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:144)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:136)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:99)
Reordered classpath =
C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOne.jar;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneCore.jar;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\help;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\JRDesign.zip;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\JReportBeans.zip;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\classes111.zip;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\collections.jar;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\GroupWiseRes.jar;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\GWAdmin.jar;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\GWAdminDirectory.jar;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\GWAdminUtil.jar;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\InventoryReports.jar;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\jdbcdrv.zip;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\jgl3.1.0.jar;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\jh.jar;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\jndi.jar;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\JReportBeans.zip;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\jsse.jar;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\njclv2.jar;C:\NOVELL\Conso
leOne136\ConsoleOneExt\njha.jar;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\njweb.jar;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\nssl1.2_exp.jar;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\Search.jar;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\swing.jar;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\Widgets.jar;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\windows.jar;C:\NOVELL\ConsoleOne136\ConsoleOneExt\xerces.jar

******************This one did work:*************************

shutdown dbbackup snapin called
shutdown snapin called
shutdown snapin called
shutdown snapin called
oe = NOR
com.novell.utility.persistence.Persistence@82c23d key =
NDS$zeninvService
SnapinClassLoader could not load bytes for resource TracerMedia
Returning null.
Server name found = \\ServerName
[Version] Novell NetWare 5.60.04[DS]
isNTNdsServer : false
[Version] Novell NetWare 5.60.04[DS]
isLinuxNDSServer : false
[Paramesh] - BasicRole 0
[Paramesh] - roleIndex 1
SWDictionarySWConfigurationPage: setActive
SWDictionarySWConfigurationPage:layoutControls
SWDictionarySWConfigurationPage: readData
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:loadDictionary:....
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:loadDictionary: Loading Dictionary......
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:Read Dictionary path from ISO
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:readDictionaryPathFromNDS....
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:Read NDS Attribute successfully
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:DictionaryPath\\ServerName\vol1\ZENworks\Inv\server\DictDir
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:Reading ServerDN from NDS....
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:readServerDNFromNDS....
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:InvServerDN =ServerName.O
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:tempLoadPath:C:\DOCUME~1\WILLIA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\dictionary11326932
generateSWDictionaryIDPrefix:invSrvFullDNName : ServerName.O.Tree
generateSWDictionaryIDPrefix:invSrvDNSName : ServerName
generateSWDictionaryIDPrefix:invSrvDNHash :
3D247E06A4FE39EED75D8220EAE71BC2
SWDictionaryIDHandler:swDictIDPrefix : NORTH3D247E06A4FE39EED75D
getAttachedDBObjectDN:InventoryServerFullDN =ServerName.O.Tree
getAttachedDBObjectDN:InventoryServerDN=ServerName.O:Tree:TreeName
getAttachedDBObjectDN:db_location_policy_dn:
ServerPackage:General:ZENworks Database.O
getAttachedDBObjectDN:db_object_nameInventory Database_ServerName.O
readDBObjectProperties:DBDriver:com.sybase.jdbc.SybDriver
readDBObjectProperties:(ReadOnly)User:MW_READER
readDBObjectProperties:(ReadOnly)Password: read
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:loadDictionary:Finished...Do Post Load Dict
operations
[...]

Shaun Pond

Apr 29, 2005, 3:31:50 PM4/29/05
interesting: on mine, at the point you get the error, I get
[Paramesh] - roleIndex 1
SWDictionarySWConfigurationPage: setActive
SWDictionarySWConfigurationPage:layoutControls
SWDictionarySWConfigurationPage: readData
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:loadDictionary:....
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:loadDictionary: Loading Dictionary......
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:Read Dictionary path from ISO
SWDictionaryFilesHandler:readDictionaryPathFromNDS....

I'm seeing what I can find out...

--

Shaun Pond

Shaun Pond

May 2, 2005, 2:49:45 AM5/2/05
what's the date/time/size of the one that fails?

--

Shaun Pond

12...@1234.com

May 2, 2005, 11:49:39 AM5/2/05
On Mon, 02 May 2005 06:49:45 GMT, Shaun Pond <sh...@false.email>
wrote:

>what's the date/time/size of the one that fails?

It's dated 2-11-05 at 3:42 PM and it's size is 1,297 KB.
It's the file right off the Zen 6.5 SP1a CD.

The one that works is dated 6-8-04 at 3:34 PM and is 1290 KB.
and is from the original 6.5 CD

Hope that helps!

If it's not an issue to use the older file, I don't have a problem
with using it. I don't seem to have any problems with C1 or with EDir.
I know it's not good to mix versions of files but if it
works..........

Shaun Pond

May 2, 2005, 1:08:00 PM5/2/05
OK, thanks - let me pass this on

--

Shaun Pond

Shaun Pond

May 3, 2005, 5:29:51 AM5/3/05
thanks - one other thing, can you get the date of
SWDictionarySnapins.jar please?

--

Shaun Pond

12...@1234.com

May 4, 2005, 3:34:54 PM5/4/05
On Tue, 03 May 2005 09:29:51 GMT, Shaun Pond <sh...@false.email>
wrote:

>thanks - one other thing, can you get the date of
>SWDictionarySnapins.jar please?

Sure.

It's 1-22-05 at 1:17 PM and it's 633 KB

Shaun Pond

May 4, 2005, 3:50:39 PM5/4/05
OK, bear with me, I'm passing this info on to India...

--

Shaun Pond