Network login screen does not appear after installation of Norton Antivirus Corp Ed

Pat Mueller

Feb 26, 2001, 4:47:23 PM2/26/01
After installing Norton AntiVirus Corp Ed 7.5 to replace Antivirus 2000 on
workstations, the network login screen fails to appear, Windows defaults to
the Windows login box. I understand that this is probably a Norton problem,
but was wondering if anyone else has seen this and knows of a fix. I have
seen the problem with Win95 (uninstalling and re-installing the NW client
after the anti-virus installation worked on some machines), with Win98
(re-installing the client did not work). I am using NW client 3.1 with SP2
applied. I have not seen the issue with WIN98SE machines yet. Thanks in
advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Larry Holt

Feb 28, 2001, 1:06:42 PM2/28/01

Pat Mueller wrote:

This is from the Symantec KB. FWIW, We had all sorts of problems like this with
CE and changed back to 5.0.
HTH,
Larry Holt, CNA4
How to resolve startup problems with Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition

Situation:
You are having problems with the startup of your Windows 95/98 computers after
installing Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition (NAV CE).

Solution:
To resolve startup problems, you will need to delete two values in the
registry, Vptray and Rtvscn95,
and then create shortcuts to these files in the StartUp folder. Follow these
steps:

CAUTION: We strongly recommend that you back up the
system registry before making any
changes. Incorrect changes to the registry could
result in permanent data loss or corrupted
files. Please make sure you modify only the keys
specified. Please see the document, How
to Back Up the Windows 95/98/NT Registry, before
proceeding.

Changing the load order of real-time protection or
autoprotect should only be done as a
diagnostic exercise to demonstrate whether or not
another application or process is interfering
with Norton AntiVirus at startup. However, changing
the load order of Norton AntiVirus to load
at a later time creates a window of opportunity for
virus infection. NAV should load from the
registry (other processes and applications) in
order to provide maximum protection against
infection during startup.

If your problem has been temporarily corrected by
you will need to do further investigation to find
the interfering application or process, and then
make appropriate modifications to resolve the
conflict.

Edit the registry:

1. Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog
box appears.
2. Type regedit and then click OK. The Registry
Editor opens.
3. Navigate to the following subkey:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\<operating
system>\CurrentVersion\RunServices

4. In the right pane, right-click Rtvscn95, and
then click Delete.
5. Navigate to the following subkey:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\<operating
system>\CurrentVersion\Run

6. In the right pane, right-click Vptray, and then
click Delete.

Place Rtvscn95.exe and Vptray.exe in the StartUp folder.
This will load them later in the startup
process:

1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. Navigate to the folder where NAV is installed.
3. Right-click Rtvscn95.exe, and then click Copy.
4. Navigate to the \Windows\Start
Menu\Programs\StartUp folder.
5. Click the Edit menu, and then click Paste
Shortcut.
6. Repeat Steps 2 through 5, substituting
Vptray.exe.
7. Close Explorer.
8. Restart the computer for the changes to take
effect.

Larry Holt

Mar 1, 2001, 12:47:44 PM3/1/01

Pat Mueller wrote:

> Larry, Thanks for your response, it is always good to know one is not alone.
> When you reverted to 5.0, how do you resolve the definition update issue and
> subscription problems that Symantec instituted with their most recent checks
> and changes? We went to CE because the definition update became unwieldly,
> always reported expired subscriptions. Thanks.

Zen Starter Pack.
Larry

Pat Mueller

Pat Mueller

Mar 2, 2001, 11:30:24 AM3/2/01
The problem we experienced was that the definition updates were rejected by
the Norton 5.0 program reporting that the subscription had expired even
though we had the licenses in place, hence no updates were being applied.
Symantec support claims that in December they instituted new checks to
prevent people updating their definitions without paying for them on an
annual basis and therefore, after the initial license period (I believe in
was 3 months from installation), 5.0 will not allow updates via the .exe
files. Periodically we had to do a live update to renew again. I went to
CE because that is the only version that they claim will allow the updates
to be pushed out. They now intend 5.0 and its successors to be a standalone
"home" version of the program. At least that is what the support people
explained to me last month if I understood them correctly. If you have
gotten around this, I would be interested in how it was done.