Netware Client for Windows Vista

1 view

cre...@fairfield.k12.pa.us

Dec 5, 2006, 2:32:32 PM12/5/06
Does anyone know if there is a netware client out there to support
Windows vista so we can test it. Thank you for any input.

fasdtechman

Barry Schnur

Dec 6, 2006, 1:36:38 AM12/6/06
> Does anyone know if there is a netware client out there to support
> Windows vista so we can test it. Thank you for any input.

You can take a look at some of the other threads on this. At this
point in time and place in space there is Vista client available for
testing out there yet.

If you have Netware 6.5 servers, you can provide CIFS/NFA for drive
mapping as a workaround.

--
Barry Schnur

craig_d...@yahoo.com

Dec 6, 2006, 9:40:43 AM12/6/06
Barry missed "not" but I think you can tell that in context.
I would also add that Novell is working diligently on making a beta
available as soon as they can.

Many of the tie-ins Novell would use for the client were not completely
finalized until Vista went gold.

yqie...@hotmail.com

Dec 6, 2006, 10:11:39 PM12/6/06
> Does anyone know if there is a netware client out there to support
> Windows vista so we can test it. Thank you for any input.
>
> fasdtechman
Hello,
I think this is a question I am wait for an answer as well. Can somebody
please comment on this? I was trying to install the novell client for xp
and it failed. Does any one know a work around for this?

ncfwv

Barry Schnur

Dec 6, 2006, 10:36:00 PM12/6/06
> I think this is a question I am wait for an answer as well. Can somebody
> please comment on this? I was trying to install the novell client for xp
> and it failed. Does any one know a work around for this?

Assuming the combination of Vista (either 32 or 64 bit) and NetWare
6.5, you can set up drive mapping with no client using CIFS/NFA:

OK, on the Vista side (with admin rights on the vista workstation):

Here is the sequence from 'the top' (at least in RC1 and RC2)

1) Click Start
2) Click Control Panel (not classic view)
3) Click System & Maintenance
4) Click Administrative Tools
5) Double Click Local Security Policy
6) On the left pane, click to expand Local Policies
7) On the left pane, click on Security Options
8) Now, on the right pane, near the bottom, click on
Network Security LAN Manager Authentication Level
9) On the drop down, change the default setting (NTLMv2 only) to
Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session if negotiated.

On the NetWare side, you need NW 6.5 plus SP5, plus the post SP5
updates (specifically the post SP5 update to nss). NetWare SP6 should
work as well.

Barry Schnur

Dec 6, 2006, 10:34:00 PM12/6/06
Thanks for the catch.

Hey, at least I have a solid 'cook book' for the change of settings for
Lan Authentication. That setting is not all that readily accessible.