No Login Window

james...@azdema.gov

Apr 12, 2006, 1:01:28 PM4/12/06
I need to raise this issue again as I haven't achieved a resolution yet.
I have a new issue w/Dell Optiplex GX520's and the client (either 4.91
SP1 or SP2).

Client appears to install completely but upon reboot, not presented with
Netware login window; only the Windows login. I've gotten some feedback
on tweaking the registry which hasn't worked. I'm looking for a solution
that allows the intial install to work as advertised since this unit will
become a master image for imaging several like GX520's.

Thanks for any help.

james...@azdema.gov

Apr 12, 2006, 4:52:19 PM4/12/06

UPDATE: When editing the registry to include the
HKLM\software\microsoft\windowsnt\currentversion\winlogon\ginadll entry,
upon rebooting still no nwgina window and the registry entry is gone!

Tony Pedretti

Apr 12, 2006, 9:33:55 PM4/12/06
James,

Do you have ZENworks running or another policy/management package
enforcing settings?

The parameter "Initial Novell Login" on the "Advanced Login" tab of the
Novell client properties also controls whether Novell's or Microsoft's
login/GINA will be displayed...

Microsoft (MSGINA) login dialog displayed instead of Novell dialog after
installing 4.90 client.
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10086499.htm

--
Tony Pedretti

james...@azdema.gov

Apr 13, 2006, 11:27:17 AM4/13/06

We do run ZENworks but there's two extenuating circumstances:

There's no agent whatsoever installed on the problem machine(s).
It only occurs on Optiplex GX520's.

ZENworks should have no effect on a workstation w/no agent right? There
happens to be a TID regarding the chipset on these models not being
supported by ZENworks but, again how could ZENworks have an effect on a
box w/no agent?

sshim...@washloc.k12.oh.us

Apr 13, 2006, 4:01:10 PM4/13/06
Could this be related to some type of "Patch" from microsoft or other
program recently installed?

Reason I ask...

Just yesterday (4/12/06) I had a computer (school district, lots of
workstations, mostly Win2k...) that came up suddenly with ONLY the windows
workstation login... NO Novell client login screen.

I could remote in, etc, and quickly found the The parameter "Initial

Novell Login" on the "Advanced Login" tab of the Novell client properties

pages had been set to "OFF".

Strange I thought, but chalked it up to the users who likes to fiddle with
things and moved on in my day...

Well, today I have about 4 others with the same issue... AND the person
who first had it, remeembered some type of Windows update being installed.
(we set the windows update agent to download fixes at night but only
install when told for most office workstations) The 3 others users have
a natural density level greater than lead, and do not remember if any
updates were requested or installed.

Signs of this in the registry include the passive mode of nwgina.dll in
the login section (dword reg entry) being installed and set to 1 (on) but
if you set it back to 0 (off) then it is normal, until the next reboot....

So, could there be some type of "update" or program (trojan/virus/etc?)
that is causing this?

- Steve

Stephen Shimatzki

sshim...@washloc.k12.oh.us

Washington Local Schools
computer Services
www.washloc.k12.oh.us

james...@azdema.gov

Apr 13, 2006, 6:47:51 PM4/13/06
> Could this be related to some type of "Patch" from microsoft or other
> program recently installed?
>
> Reason I ask...
>
> Just yesterday (4/12/06) I had a computer (school district, lots of
> workstations, mostly Win2k...) that came up suddenly with ONLY the
windows
> workstation login... NO Novell client login screen.
>
> I could remote in, etc, and quickly found the The parameter "Initial
> Novell Login" on the "Advanced Login" tab of the Novell client
properties
> pages had been set to "OFF".

Thanks Steve. In my case the Advanced Login setting is properly set so
it remains a mystery. By the way, the system exhibits the behaviour
right out of the box w/the OEM Operating System (and nothing else)
installed. That, and the client. No ZENworks agent; mo MS updates
whatsoever.

Tony Pedretti

Apr 13, 2006, 6:59:29 PM4/13/06
OEM or otherwise be aware of any security-type software as well since
GINA changes may be within its scope.

Does the nwgina.dll value even disappear after a log off instead of reboot?

I've used these utilities in the past to help troubleshoot and they can
tell you wonders about what is really going on with Windows...

AutoRuns, Process Explorer, Filemon, Regmon, and LoadOrder
http://www.sysinternals.com/

DriverView and ServiWin
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/

--
Tony Pedretti

james...@azdema.gov

Apr 14, 2006, 12:50:18 PM4/14/06

Thanks for the help and advice. I FIGURED IT OUT!! It's the external
Dell Wireless 1450 USB adapter software these models happen to come
installed with. Don't know why but it's definately the problem. I'm
moving on without them.