Keyboard Language

fmezz...@hotmail.com

Nov 15, 2005, 12:07:03 PM11/15/05

Really silly question. I have a pc running WXP Pro Sp1 French with Novell
Client 4.91sp1 French installed. My question is, At the Login Screen the
keyboard is set to "French/France". I can switch it back to English by
pressing ALT-SHIFT. I wanted to know if there is a way I can permanantly
keep it English without always having to press ALT-SHIT.

Thanks
Frank

Gerald Reynolds

Nov 15, 2005, 3:40:46 PM11/15/05
Just a guess. I believe you would have to set the machine's default
language to English rather than French. You make that setting in
Control Panel | Regional and Language Options. You can find the effect
of those settings in the Registry, in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control
Panel\International and HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\International,
but I would not change them there!

Gerald Reynolds

Alan Adams

Nov 15, 2005, 6:59:32 PM11/15/05
You don't actually have to "change the default Windows language".
Rather, you just have to change the default keyboard layout when you
have two or more keyboard layouts installed.

For a logged-on user, this is controlled by the values you see under
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Preload]. For example:

> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Preload]
> "1"="0000040c"
> "2"="00000409"

Because French (40c) is listed before US English (409), French would
be the default. Switching that order as shown below would cause US
English to be the default of the two:

> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Preload]
> "1"="00000409"
> "2"="0000040c"

For the boot-up login screen (since no one has logged on yet, and
therefore a specific user's HKEY_CURRENT_USER isn't the location in
use yet), the location in which to set these same values & relative
order is [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Preload].

fmezz...@hotmail.com wrote:

Alan Adams
alancru...@drcrumb.com
(for email, remove the crumbs)