Problems getting DHCP gateway with client 491 (sp1)

r...@nospam.ie

Oct 13, 2005, 4:37:38 AM10/13/05

We are having problems with DHCP and 491 (sp1) clients. The problem
happens getting gateway info from the DHCP server.
With 491, some clients are experiencing not receiving the gateway but can
receive the IP address and subnet mask fine.
Ive tested this with client 49 SP2 and the problem doesnt arise.
The version of DHCP is the ISC DHCPD 3.0.3 (latest version).
NB Clients are XP SP2

Regards,

Tony Pedretti

Oct 14, 2005, 10:22:02 AM10/14/05
Ray,

Someone else has reported a similar issue with client 4.91. Can you verify
it with the base 4.91 client as well?
Has anything else changed recently?

Lets gather some more details about your environment...

Any additional components of the client installed?
What protocols are bound to the client?

Windows Event logs showing anything unusual?
Was Windows installed from scratch, a custom image, or an OEM image?

Security or any other driver-based software like firewall, VPN, remote
management, antivirus, etc. installed and running?

Can you give us any details about the make/model of hardware, NIC and its
drivers, etc. of said workstation?

--
Tony Pedretti
TransUnion Corporation

r...@nospam.ie

Oct 14, 2005, 5:01:30 PM10/14/05
> Has anything else changed recently?
Nothing I can think of

> Any additional components of the client installed?

Nope. Im leaving off NICI and NMAS. And tried with IP only and IP+IPX,
problem occurs with both

> What protocols are bound to the client?

As above, tried with ip only and ip+ipx

> Windows Event logs showing anything unusual?

> Was Windows installed from scratch, a custom image, or an OEM image?

I can actually replicate it on my own machine. Windows would have been
installed from scratch about 10 months ago. Fully updated with windows
update (even day before yesterdays updates)

> Security or any other driver-based software like firewall, VPN, remote
> management, antivirus, etc. installed and running?

Running Mcafee Virusscan Enterprise 8.0 with latest sdats. Access
protection is a default settings + all unwanted programs policy are
ticked.
Running VNC server 4.1.1
Running bulletproof ftp server 2.3.1 build 26
No firewall enabled
Also running apache for windows

Note DHCP server is on same subnet as me so not ACL problem.
It is also happening to some wireless clients, only a handful.

> Can you give us any details about the make/model of hardware, NIC and
its
> drivers, etc. of said workstation?

Dell Optiplex GX280, 1 gig ram,
NIC - Intel Pro/1000 MT (Driver Version) 7.0.34.0
Connecting in tnrough a Catalyst 2950, then into our core Catalyst 6509
(where all our servers hang off from).

Alan Adams

Oct 14, 2005, 6:56:26 PM10/14/05
Missing just the gateway seems odd enough that it should be a clue.

ZENworks 4.x or 6.x agent present on the machines, or can we
categorically rule out the NOVDHCP.DLL-related issues that could
potentially interfere with Windows TCP/IP stack from getting/renewing
its IP address? (TID10091089, TID10090994, TID10093676, etc.)

The address the machines receive is the correct DHCP server-assigned
address, and not the 169.xx.xx.xx APIPA-assigned address? (When
Windows assigns an APIPA address, the gateway is not specified, which
is why I ask.)

Certainly an odd observation. If there isn't a software-level
conflict that can be identified, it may take a LAN trace of the
workstation activity from boot in order to try and make a better guess
at what's happening with regard to the DHCP address and info
assignment.

Any events being registered in the System or Application event logs
regarding a failure of the Windows DHCP server to do something or the
other?

r...@nospam.ie wrote:

Alan Adams
alancru...@drcrumb.com
(for email, remove the crumbs)

Tony Pedretti

Oct 15, 2005, 3:45:22 PM10/15/05
I've not had any DHCP issues with 4.91 SP1 at home or work so I have to
think its a specific configuration thats the cause.
As Alan mentioned, you might try to isolate it further and get a packet
trace.

Guidelines to Take a Packet Trace
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10011012.htm

How to use Ethereal to capture a packet trace.
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10070788.htm

--
Tony Pedretti

jdw

Oct 20, 2005, 1:27:13 PM10/20/05
I am experiencing this problem also. I have been running NW6.5sp3 for some
time without a hitch. Most clients are 4.90 sp1a; however, I have upgraded
a few to 4.91e because of an issue with locking the workstation while logged
in to Virtual Office.

Anyway, it is the 4.91e client that this issue is occurring on. It started
happening after I installed a windows domain. I did need to install a dns
server on the windows box. I then set up the domain as a zone on my Netware
dns box. The forwarding is working with windows picking up the Novell box
for forwarding (for internet access). Though, I don't have it right yet. I
can not ping the windows servers by name, though I have added the resources
records.

Anyway, maybe this information will be helpful in troubleshooting why others
are not picking up the default gateway. As I mentioned, until I installed
the domain (client is not a member of the domain), this was not a problem.

I haven't had an opportunity to troubleshoot this yet, so if anyone has any
solutions, let me know. Otherwise, I will post what I come up with.

Thanks,
Janet

<r...@nospam.ie> wrote in message

<r...@nospam.ie> wrote in message
> [...]

D Hunter

Oct 26, 2005, 1:51:40 PM10/26/05
Well, I just installed some new Dell's (optiplex gx620's)and am now
recieving the same error also. Haven't had time to troubleshoot it
yet but I do know if I have the users open the network connection,
click support, click repair. It will fix it for a little while.

All of these are Gx620's, windows xp sp2, attaching to a NW6.5 SP3
server. No other workstations are experiencing this problem. I hope
to work with it this weekend.

DHunter

"Why do we work so hard? Because we have products that hardly work!" Former M$ Admin

jdw

Oct 26, 2005, 4:28:18 PM10/26/05
I haven't gotten it completely figured out yet; however, as a start, I have
determined if I get rid of all Novell client stuff (including registry
entries) and reinstall short of the zfd401_ir5.exe patch then I do not have
this problem. I can install the ir4 patch and not have the problem.

If anyone has gotten further than this in a solution, please share.

Thanks,
Janet

"D Hunter" <wjjo...@removethis.gmail.com> wrote in message

r...@nospam.ie

Nov 7, 2005, 11:12:37 AM11/7/05
i think we just resolved this issue. I just noticed that this seemed to
happen mostly on our edge switches (most Cisco Catalyst 2950s). Upon
comparison to working cients I seen that portfast wasnt enabled on the
affected ports on the switch. When we enabled this everything works fine
and we can pick up gateway.

Hope this helps,

Brett Kluiber

Feb 28, 2006, 3:46:47 PM2/28/06
has anyone figured this problem out. I just upgraded a lab to XP and
have all kinds of problems with it however I don't have problems in
other buildings withthe same image. We are running Dells (Optiplex
GX260, 270, 280) and the client software is 4.91sp1. The switches all
have Portfast enabled, the DHCP server is WIN 2003 and both the scope
and the DHCP server have been re-built with no change in condition.

Thanks for any help,

Brett Kluiber

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:28:18 GMT, "jdw" <jwil...@stlawrencegas.com>