Mount a volume as read only?

Jim Lawson

Sep 22, 2005, 6:14:41 PM9/22/05
Is it possible to mount an NSS volume as read-only on nw6.5?

- Jim

Richard Beels [SysOp]

Sep 23, 2005, 12:58:00 AM9/23/05

i don't think you can do this explicitly within NSS but you could do it
through rights. Only set RF at the volume root. This will effectively
do what you want (except for admin).

--
Cheers!
Richard Beels

Jim Lawson

Sep 23, 2005, 12:47:17 PM9/23/05
The volume has a few hunderd folders each with different trustee assigned
for various users and groups. I was looking for a quick and easy way to
lockdown updated to the data on the volume. I seem to remember being able to
do this with nw3.x. Perhaps I'll send it in as an enhancement request. From
a coding perspective, it shouldn't be too hard to do.

As an alternative, I used trustee.nlm to dump the trustees to a file, did a
search and replace on the rights field to make them all RF, then used
trustee.nlm again to change the rights.

- Jim

"Richard Beels [SysOp]" <be...@technologist.com> wrote in message

Richard Beels [SysOp]

Sep 24, 2005, 2:56:01 AM9/24/05

i think you'd have better luck asking portlock to write something, but
that's just me. an ER is certainly appropriate though.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement is the link in case you don't
already know.

a better way to code the rights flip would be to take the output of the
trustee.nlm run, edit it to revoke all rights and then add an RF at the
root of the volume.

Rob...@schweina.com

Sep 24, 2005, 4:35:15 PM9/24/05
Don't know if this can help you but here is how I handle a read-only
mount requirement. A library with about 100 CD's. I copied *.iso
images of them onto a SCSI drive. I put the read-only jumper on the
drive. Every *.iso can be mounted as a volume but the hard drive is
read-only because of the jumper.

Bob

Richard Beels [SysOp]

Sep 25, 2005, 2:22:11 AM9/25/05

if the drive has the jumper and you don't need to change the condition
(often), that is indeed a way to do it.

good outside the box thinking there...

Dave Parkes

Sep 25, 2005, 6:40:01 AM9/25/05
You can load .isos from NSS as read only anyway, see TID 10095903

Cheers Dave

--

Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/

Richard Beels [SysOp]

Sep 25, 2005, 3:09:50 PM9/25/05

nifty. missed that when sp2 came out...

I just thought of another way to make a volume read-only but haven't
tried it to see if it would work: change the volume's quota to what
it's already using so it can't grow...

Dave Parkes

Sep 26, 2005, 8:28:22 AM9/26/05
Again, that would involve hacking the rights though, if nobody has create
rights, then the size isn't going to change much anyway.

Richard Beels [SysOp]

Sep 26, 2005, 2:24:10 PM9/26/05

true, but you'd only have to make a change in one place and not have to
fiddle with any trustees.

and you could probably use a matched pair of LDIFs (that could br
scripted) to turn it on and off...

Dave Parkes

Sep 26, 2005, 2:41:05 PM9/26/05
I'd use trustee.nlm, but the same idea, don't know much about this new
fangled LDAP stuff, does that do file rights now ?

Richard Beels [SysOp]

Sep 26, 2005, 4:51:53 PM9/26/05

i love trustee.nlm as well. i was assuming the quota config is stored
on the volume object itself in the tree. if it is, than an ldif would
work. if it isn't and is with the file trustees, than no, that
wouldn't work.

funny, i don't see my reply that you replied to...

Dave Parkes

Richard Beels [SysOp]

Sep 27, 2005, 5:24:50 PM9/27/05

thanks.

Jim Lawson

Sep 30, 2005, 11:28:05 PM9/30/05
Tried the quota. It doesn't prevent you from editing or deleting existing
files.

- Jim

"Richard Beels [SysOp]" <be...@technologist.com> wrote in message

Richard Beels [SysOp]

Oct 1, 2005, 2:33:26 AM10/1/05

well, that theory falls flat on its face then.

looks like the easiest way to do what you want (and how i'd do it if i
had to) is to:
load trustee save <vol>:\ vol:\<filename>
backup the file with a timestamped-rename.
trustee remove <vol>:\
trustee restore <vol>:\RFatROOTonly.txt

then, when you want to restore their rights:
trustee remove <vol>:\
trustee restore <vol>:\<filename>

Hamish Speirs

Oct 1, 2005, 3:40:15 AM10/1/05
Jim,

> The volume has a few hunderd folders each with different trustee assigned
> for various users and groups. I was looking for a quick and easy way to
> lockdown updated to the data on the volume. I seem to remember being able to
> do this with nw3.x. Perhaps I'll send it in as an enhancement request. From
> a coding perspective, it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Actually its not to hard to do. I've just released a utility that blocks
access to specific file types - I can modify that to make a volume or
directory path read-only. Give me a few days to see what I can come up with.

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)

Hamish Speirs

Oct 1, 2005, 7:54:37 AM10/1/05
Hamish,

> Actually its not to hard to do. I've just released a utility that blocks
> access to specific file types - I can modify that to make a volume or
> directory path read-only. Give me a few days to see what I can come up
> with.

Hmmm.. make that a few hours.

Jim, drop me an email - have an nlm you can test that makes
volumes/directories read-only.

Richard Beels [SysOp]

Oct 2, 2005, 12:13:46 AM10/2/05

what took you so long. Send me a copy too, please?

Hamish Speirs

Oct 2, 2005, 7:58:56 AM10/2/05
Rick,

> what took you so long. Send me a copy too, please?

i had to go out for a couple of hours <g>

inbound shortly.

Richard Beels [SysOp]

Oct 2, 2005, 2:31:51 PM10/2/05

got it. thanks. will try this week at client...

Hamish

Oct 2, 2005, 9:19:11 PM10/2/05
Richard,

> got it. thanks. will try this week at client...

Its a demo version - expires at the end of the month.

H.