NDPSM.NLM High Utilization

John Cerio

Jul 26, 2005, 6:55:00 AM7/26/05
We're having a problem with NDPSM.NLM fron Netware 6.5 SP3. After
running for about 3 minutes the server utilization for processor 0 goes
to 100%. In Monitor, the busy thread is shown to be "NDPSM_CheckConn".
At this point, exiting NDPSM or downing the server becomes impossible.
Creating new printer agents is not possible. This happens whether or
not the manager has any printer agents defined. We've tried deleting and
recreating the printing environment and we've also tried removing and
re-installing iPrint. What are we missing?

Marcel Cox

Jul 26, 2005, 9:20:31 AM7/26/05
John,

Not sure if it will help in your particular case, but you might
nevertheless consider installing the post SP3 NDPS patches:

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2971898.htm
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2971357.htm

--
Marcel Cox [SysOp]
http://support.novell.com/forums

John Cerio

Jul 26, 2005, 9:21:50 AM7/26/05
Update - if you wait long enough, NDPSM will partially unload and
utilization drops. NDPSM.NLM stays loaded and the screen doesn't go away. It
just goes black.
"John Cerio" <jce...@bville.org> wrote in message

iprint

Jul 26, 2005, 11:01:02 AM7/26/05
CheckConn is the Check Connections background thread that is attempting to
maintain connections to the Service Registery service as well as the
Resource Management Server (RMS) and Event Notification Service (ENS).
There is also a process within here that checks connections to file servers
where QMS queues reside that Printers hosted by this NDPS Manager service.

Check out this:
http://www.novell.com/products/netware/printing/debug_display.pdf

This is a doc describing the debug display for the NDPS Manager..There is a
Check_Services flag that might help to understand the problem. Also, have
you used the health monitor to try and figure out the interface? This is
accessible via NRM (Portal Health Monitor).

Something to consider, If you have a broker and PSM on the same server,
try disabling the SRS. (Unless you need this). The PSM will connect to
the locale machine's resources if they are running on the same server.
This way, you can eliminate connections processing for this...

>>> On 7/26/2005 at 7:21 am, in message
<ONqFe.7835$Y_1....@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, John

John Cerio

Aug 24, 2005, 6:21:56 PM8/24/05
I know this is an old thread but here is the final resolution:

1. Disable Hyperthreading on the server. See TID 10097258.
2. Load the broker with the /NOADVERT switch.
3. Load the manager with the /NOSRS switch.

erik....@hamar.kommune.no

Jan 3, 2006, 11:05:06 AM1/3/06
We had exactly the same problem with a NW 6.5 SP4 server,
running both the PSM and the Broker.
The server had both hyperthreading and Broker SRS disabled
(no changes there).
After adding these switches in autoexec.ncf, and restarting the server,
the NDPSM loaded OK again!

Thanks a lot!

-Erik