Hotmail and MSN again

Wade Pedersen

Jan 24, 2006, 12:28:18 PM1/24/06
I have seen several post about this problem, but I haven't actually seen a
resolution to it yet. Here it is in a nut shell. Any email addressed to
Hotmail or MSN gets a Send Failure 450 Host Down message. I've been talking
to my ISP (XO) about this but have had no luck in resolving this through
them. Any ideas out there? This has been going on for about 3 weeks now and
nothing I do seems to change it

tia
Wade Pedersen
River City Travel

Ted Kumsher

Jan 24, 2006, 1:27:33 PM1/24/06
Make sure your hostname is correct--and that it resolves to the public IP
address GWIA is using. Make sure your reverse dns is working--and that the
reverse DNS entry resolves to the public ip address GWIA is using.. Make
sure you're not using cached dns entries for MSN/Hotmail email servers.
Check your IP address for listing in RBL's.

If all else fails, use a route.cfg file to find and manually specify a
server that works.

Ted Kumsher

>>> Wade Pedersen<wadepe...@opc-racing.com> 01/24/06 11:28:18 AM >>>

Wade Pedersen

Jan 28, 2006, 5:50:19 PM1/28/06
Oh...... They turned on reverse DNS lookups? ^%$%&. Ok, thats what it's
going to be. Luckily I just changed ISP's. The old one wouldn't change
reverse dns names. Hopefully this one will

Thanks,
Wade Pedersen

"Ted Kumsher" <Ted.K...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Wade Pedersen

Feb 2, 2006, 2:37:03 PM2/2/06
Ok, so it wasn't the reverse DNS. I got that changed and still can't send
email to Hotmail and MSN. As far as I can tell I'm not listed in any RBL's.
So this leaves me with the route.cfg option. How do you do that for
groupwise? Isn't that a file Windows reads?

"Wade Pedersen" <wadepe...@opc-racing.com> wrote in message

Wade Pedersen

Feb 6, 2006, 7:11:12 PM2/6/06
Can anyone help me here? I've figured out the route.cfg thing. Pretty
straight forward. Only one problem, I can't find a reliable server to
connect to. I've sat here for the last hour trying to telnet to all 4 of the
mx records listed for hotmail and msn and have been able to get a response
out of the servers only twice. Are they just not running enough threads and
everything is timing out? Would it help to increase the timeout on the
connection? And if so, how do you go about doing this? Really getting
frustrated with the whole thing. Unfortunately, I can't just ignore it. To
many clients use hotmail and msn

tia
Wade Pedersen

"Wade Pedersen" <wadepe...@opc-racing.com> wrote in message

Massimo Rosen

Feb 7, 2006, 3:41:52 AM2/7/06

Wade Pedersen wrote:

> Can anyone help me here? I've figured out the route.cfg thing. Pretty
> straight forward. Only one problem, I can't find a reliable server to
> connect to.

Then there's absolutely nothing you can do, except it would be a
internet connectivity problem on your side.

BTW, do these messages go through eventually, or do you get a final
error message about them? Some hour delays to guys like hotmail or MSN
are deemed quite normal these days.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

Wade Pedersen

Feb 7, 2006, 11:50:32 AM2/7/06
I would say maybe 1 in 1000 make it through (if that). I've heard of a lot
of other people complaining about this problem, but for some reason I
haven't heard of anyone running an Exchange server having a problem. Hmmmmm.
Coincidence? There goes that conspiracy theory thing again..... Lol
Seriously though, any one know of who to talk to at Microsoft about this?

Wade Pedersen

"Massimo Rosen" <mros...@spamcfc-it.de> wrote in message

Massimo Rosen

Feb 8, 2006, 8:34:01 AM2/8/06

Wade Pedersen wrote:

> I would say maybe 1 in 1000 make it through (if that).

So when one of your users sends mail to them, they will get a final
error message back after 4 days in 999 out of 1000 attempts?

I would find that highly surprising. Delayed, yes. But incapable to send
over 4 days so that it finally gives up? Hardly normal.

FWIW, what version of GWIA are we talking about here?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Support Connection Sysop

Wade Pedersen

Feb 20, 2006, 6:10:23 PM2/20/06
Sorry about the delay in responding.

Yes, 999 out of 1000 never go through (or worse)
version 6.5.4
The only email I have problems with are MSN and Hotmail. They both seem to
have the same MX records though. Everything goes through jsut fine.

"Massimo Rosen" <mros...@spamcfc-it.de> wrote in message

Wade Pedersen

Feb 20, 2006, 6:12:12 PM2/20/06
Sorry... I meant everything else seems to go through just fine. Gotta start
proof reading before sending

"Wade Pedersen" <wadepe...@opc-racing.com> wrote in message

Ted Kumsher

Feb 22, 2006, 1:51:21 PM2/22/06
What is the public ip address of your GWIA?

>>> Wade Pedersen<wadepe...@opc-racing.com> 02/20/06 5:12:12 PM >>>

Wade Pedersen

Feb 28, 2006, 12:49:06 PM2/28/06
it is 67.88.200.100
Sorry again. I've been out of town for a while. Back to work again

"Ted Kumsher" <Ted.K...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Ted Kumsher

Feb 28, 2006, 2:32:36 PM2/28/06
You're system looks fine. Are you using a relay host? /mh switch in your
gwia.cfg

Are you using route.cfg? If so, could you attach it . . .

Ted

>>> Wade Pedersen<wadepe...@opc-racing.com> 02/28/06 11:49:06 AM >>>

Wade Pedersen

Feb 28, 2006, 5:44:33 PM2/28/06
No relay host.
Not using a route.cfg either as I can't find a reliable server address.to
put in there. I can hardly ever get one to answer.

"Ted Kumsher" <Ted.K...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Ted Kumsher

Mar 1, 2006, 9:54:53 AM3/1/06
Perhaps it has something to do with your ISP, then. I'm not finding
anything wrong with your setup.

Will your ISP allow you to relay through them? You could use the route.cfg
to forward AOL email to your ISP's servers if they'll allow you to relay.
At least that'd be an interesting test to see where the problems might be .
. .

Ted

>>> Wade Pedersen<wadepe...@opc-racing.com> 02/28/06 4:44:33 PM >>>

Wade Pedersen

Mar 28, 2006, 12:58:18 PM3/28/06
Just thought I would get back to you all about this problem. I've finally
found one hotmail server that would answer. I've put that in the route.cfg
and everything is working fine (for now)

Wade Pedersen
River City Travel