Craft Night Workshops

Kate Bolin

Dec 13, 2011, 5:59:07 AM12/13/11
to nottinghack
I've decided that, in the new year, we're going to alternate Open Craft Nights with workshop nights.

This way, if you want to come along and learn how to make something, you can. And if you want to come along and just work on your own thing, you can.

So far, I have these as potential ideas:

* Candle Making
* Soap Making
* Papercraft/Origami
* Intro to Knitting
* Braided Rug Making
* Basic Sewing
* Screen Printing
* Knitting Machines
* Parquetry

Any suggestions for other workshops? Some of these I'll need instructors/volunteers as well.

--
Kate Bolin
www.katebolin.com

David Hayward

Dec 13, 2011, 6:07:17 AM12/13/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Does basic sewing also cover machine sewing? I could really do with learning how to use a machine.

Kate Bolin

Dec 13, 2011, 6:26:58 AM12/13/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
That's what I was thinking it would be - learning how to use sewing machines.

Because I really need to learn how to use one as well.
--
Kate Bolin
www.katebolin.com

James Hayward

Dec 13, 2011, 7:13:44 AM12/13/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com

I'd be happy to instruct origami!

sent from my HTC Desire

Jake Howe

Dec 13, 2011, 7:41:34 AM12/13/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Happy to do workshops on either leatherwork, or bookbinding.

Leather phone/iPod cases are very easy, and also very useful. My own tutorial was featured on lifehacker - http://lifehacker.com/5096548/make-a-custom-leather-case-for-your-small-electronics

Also happy to help teach origami, will need to brush up a little bit though.

Jake

Russell

Dec 13, 2011, 7:49:09 AM12/13/11
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Rocio would be very interested in James' origami workshop

James Hayward

Dec 13, 2011, 7:50:55 AM12/13/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com

I shall "borrow" the stuff I wrote for work and expand it a bit then!

sent from my HTC Desire

Kate Bolin

Dec 13, 2011, 10:30:37 AM12/13/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Oooh, leatherwork and bookbinding!

I might take you up on both, because that would be kick-ass.
--
Kate Bolin
www.katebolin.com

Kate Bolin

Dec 16, 2011, 6:12:57 AM12/16/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
So here is my rough schedule for Craft Night workshops in the new year.

January 9 - Introduction to Knitting
February 6 - Origami and Papercraft
March 3 - Candle Making
April 2 - Bookbinding
May 7 - Braided Rug Making
June 4 - Introduction to Sewing
July 2 - Leatherwork
August 6 - Screen Printing
September 3 - Parquetry
October 1 - Soap Making
November 5 - Introduction to Knitting Machines
December 3 - Patchwork and Quilting

If you've volunteered in the thread, guess what - you're doing it.

If you didn't volunteer, and the workshop is something you know, then please please please talk to me and I'll work with you so that we can get our brains together on this.

I'm going to make these proper workshops, so if they could be put into the calendar, that would be immensely helpful. And, damnit, I keep forgetting to get the login details for the website. James, could you just email me this info?

The first, which is on 9 January, is the basic Introduction to Knitting. You'll learn how to make a square, which you can then turn into a little pocket bag, a hand warmer or a nice coaster.

Also, although it's not really a workshop, the last Craft Night of the year (this Monday) will be all about making gift tags out of old Christmas cards. So if you have a pile of last year's Christmas cards or whatever, bring them along and we'll go crazy with them.

Kate

--
Kate Bolin
www.katebolin.com

Dominic Morrow

Dec 16, 2011, 6:37:25 AM12/16/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
This is great... We should diary/calendar these AND Eventbrite them too. Then market them!

Dominic

Sent from my iPhone

Brendan O'Meara

Dec 16, 2011, 9:23:52 AM12/16/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Craft Night Workshops [7 Updates]

It would be most cool to learn how to make home made curtains and insulated blinds to keep one's house warm, although that's probably a bit ambitious for me and a total idiot beginner's course on e.g. how to sew a button on my trousers would be cool also. :-)

--

Regards,

Brendan @ BikeHood

Email:        bike...@gmail.com
Phone:      0788 649 9820

Kate Bolin

Dec 16, 2011, 10:19:05 AM12/16/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
If you want to learn how to sew a button, just come over to any of the open craft nights, and I'll show you.

Next one's this Monday.
--
Kate Bolin
www.katebolin.com

Jake Howe

Dec 16, 2011, 11:35:22 AM12/16/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Also, Had an idea last night,

Laser Cut Buttons.

Endless possibilities of buttons.

Cut, etch, sanded smooth, stained, put on some kick ass jacket or bag.

I have an old police jacket I want to freshen up with some new buttons.

Jake

Matt Lloyd

Dec 16, 2011, 11:52:08 AM12/16/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I could turn you some nice Ali buttons on the lathe

'RepRap' Matt
Sent from my iPhone 4

Kate Bolin

Dec 16, 2011, 12:18:07 PM12/16/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Plus you can get shrink plastic, put your own design on it and then make buttons from that.

Mostly I've seen twee owls and other crafty stuff, but I'm going to make myself buttons with fine profanity on them.

Because, really, who doesn't want a cardigan that says "fuck off" on it?
--
Kate Bolin
www.katebolin.com

Martin Raynsford

Dec 16, 2011, 12:27:57 PM12/16/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com

My aunt has been on at me for weeks to make her some laser cut buttons but I'm clearly not picturing them correctly. I've asked her for doodles but as they haven't appeared I guess she is lacking ideas too.

Wouldn't texty type buttons just be awkward to put in and out of the holes?

Machined ali buttons sounds like a winner to me, bit of a tangent but can you do off centre holes on the lathe?

--
Kate Bolin
www.katebolin.com

Matt Lloyd

Dec 16, 2011, 12:42:20 PM12/16/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Off centre hole are easy just mount the work off centre using the independent 4-jaw chuck. Nice thing is you can make a few at a time out on one bit of stock. By drilling deep (little tricky) and parting each button (advance skill, needs practice)

'RepRap' Matt
Sent from my iPhone 4

Spandex

Dec 17, 2011, 4:52:18 AM12/17/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
On 16 Dec 2011, at 17:18, Kate Bolin <kate...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Because, really, who doesn't want a cardigan that says "fuck off" on it?

This is a very good idea. Best buttons ever.

Can I also suggest "Horse Dick", "Wank" and "Sore Arse".

Matt Spandex

Martin Raynsford

Dec 17, 2011, 5:07:19 AM12/17/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
How about a series of buttons that read "Big floppy donkey dick" from top to bottom

Jake Howe

Dec 17, 2011, 5:15:22 AM12/17/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Now now, please do not tarnish my idea with your childish profanities.

I plan to etch some nice patterns, and etch people's names. Also gonna do some that say 'use me to fasten coat'

Jake

Gmjhowe

Matt Lloyd

Apr 2, 2012, 7:55:01 AM4/2/12
to notti...@googlegroups.com
as the below was the only copy of the schedule i've up it to the wiki here:- http://wiki.nottinghack.org.uk/wiki/Open_Craft_Nights
i dont know what the status of planning on any of this is, ill leave that to kate

'RepRap' Matt

Kate Bolin

Apr 2, 2012, 7:59:48 AM4/2/12
to notti...@googlegroups.com
They're up on the calendar as well.

And I've gone through and edited it. There's no workshop tonight (because we haven't had a regular old Open Craft Night for the past two months due to me having consecutive colds), but the next one is in May and will be braided rug making. I shall have more information on that later on.
--
Kate Bolin
www.katebolin.com