Settings explanation?

Fofer

Feb 3, 2010, 11:33:33 PM2/3/10
to Notify.io
I've set up Notify Pro on my iPhone to use Notify.io to send
notifications of incoming calls/texts/push alerts to my MacBook Pro.
Working great. I have some questions about notify.io's Setting page
though:

I set the icon, that works great and spruces up the alerts a bit.

I am curious what the specifying of URL is actually for? What is the
purpose of entering a URL there? Clicking the Growl alert only makes
the alert disappear, it doesn't take me to any website, even if I
populate that "Website URL" field. So I'm just wondering...

Also, what does "I want to send notifications with this account"
actually do (in basic terms?) I ask because with my setup, alerts get
sent with it checked or not checked. I was thinking that checkbox
needs to be checked in order for everything to work... but even with
it unchecked, it all works too. That made me wonder.

Thanks for any explanation...

Josh

John Dyer

Feb 4, 2010, 11:43:59 AM2/4/10
to Notify.io
I would certainly like to be able to click an alert and have it open a
browser! Is this possible?

-John

Jeff Lindsay

Feb 4, 2010, 11:50:17 AM2/4/10
to noti...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the confusion. The Settings on that page are your Source settings. The icon is the default icon used for notifications without an icon, however (and I can see the confusion here) Website URL is not the default link used for a notification. Website URL is used in your Source profile to help people receiving notifications from you decide if they actually want to approve you.

You *can* specify a "link" in your notifications, however the client has to support opening a browser for that link. Nio supports this, I haven't tried Notify Pro yet.

-jeff
--
Jeff Lindsay
http://webhooks.org -- Make the web more programmable

Josh Rafofsky

Feb 4, 2010, 12:00:05 PM2/4/10
to noti...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Jeff Lindsay <prog...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You *can* specify a "link" in your notifications, however the client has to
> support opening a browser for that link. Nio supports this, I haven't tried
> Notify Pro yet.
> -jeff

Gotcha, thanks. At the very least I'm thinking it'd be nice to be
able to click the notification alert, and have it simply take me to
http://www.notify.io/history

Jeff Lindsay

Feb 4, 2010, 12:02:54 PM2/4/10
to noti...@googlegroups.com
Are you talking about from Nio or from Notify Pro? Like I said it's up to the source to provide the link and the client to support it. We provide a way to specify a URL that can be used when you click a notification.

-jeff

Fofer

Feb 4, 2010, 1:26:50 PM2/4/10
to Notify.io
Okay, got it, I asked the Notify Pro developer here:
http://xbmc.org/forum/showpost.php?p=501527&postcount=280