Rhodia ePURE

Mr. CaN

Jun 19, 2007, 12:52:25 PM6/19/07
to Notebookism
Has anyone tried or seen the Rhodia ePURE. I love the Rhodia paper,
but use the Miqel Rius becuase it is bound. Could this ePURE be the
perfect notebook?

broo...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2007, 8:39:15 AM6/20/07
to Notebookism
Those are new to me, but look nice. I've never been able to get past
the coloring of the Rhodias - I'm a more sedate kinda fella.

I understand the MiquelRius thing. I recently picked one of the
pocket leather-look notebooks at an Barnes & Noble. Wonderful to
write in, save for the binding. It would be great if it were lay-
flat!

brookswv

Steve

Jun 21, 2007, 8:03:02 AM6/21/07
to Notebookism
Ooh, I love the look of these (I'm a big fan of the the Rhodia
orange)!

Here is the only site in English I could find that offers these (there
seem to be lots in Japanese):

http://tinyurl.com/2786or

One detail mentioned on this site that gives me pause is the "thin and
removable" statement. Does that mean these pages are perforated or
something to make them removable?

I've always been tempted by the Miquel Rius leather-look notebooks,
but balked at trying them because until one gets well into them,
you're basically writing steeply uphill on the left side. But I might
get over that if I could get an orange notebook with Rhodia paper
(though I'm not crazy about the idea of the pages being removable, if
that is indeed the case).

Also, are these notebooks lined or graph paper?

Steve

> > perfect notebook?- Hide quoted text -

broo...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2007, 8:12:37 AM6/21/07
to Notebookism
I understand your plaint with Miquelrius. I'm writing daily in a
pocket size. I can't wait to get to the right page! But I'm finding
if I use both hands, one to hold while the other writes, with the
right portion of the book almost vertical, the left pages are nice and
level.

But not like cracking open something like a Moleskine or a Smyth-sewn
journal that lies flat.

Nice paper though.

brookswv

Mr. CaN

Jun 21, 2007, 8:20:19 AM6/21/07
to Notebookism
Yea, the left page thing is annoying, but work able. If I am at a
desk I put a book under it that makes it level and easy to write in,
other wise you need to hold it down in a strange way. My problem with
the Moleskine is the paper, I don't like the color, I like the clean
white paper.'

I hope that these ePURES have the graph paper, as that is my prefered
format.

Mr. CaN

Steve

Jun 21, 2007, 8:28:22 AM6/21/07
to Notebookism
Poking around through Google-translated Japanese web sites, I gather
that the ePure comes in only blank pages. I would prefer the Rhodia
rule, but could live with blank. I still don't know about the
"removable" business. I love the Rhodia paper, though, so maybe
someday I'll try writing in one regularly and see how whether I can
come to live with the awkwardness of the left side (which is only a
problem for a certain percentage of the book, when the bulk of the
pages shift to the left and you're writing "downhill" on the right
side, it's not quite as awkward).

Steve

Maria

Jun 23, 2007, 8:49:29 PM6/23/07
to Notebookism
I tried to contact someone through the US distributor, and the rep
told me the ePure books aren't in the US market and aren't available
in Europe yet. They're taking orders, though. Hmmm.

Maria

Sophie

Jun 25, 2007, 8:31:40 PM6/25/07
to Notebookism
I think "removable" is a bad translation for "perforated". I think all
Rhodia notebooks have discreetly perforated pages. I have even
wondered what percentage of people choose Rhodia vs. Moleskine because
of the ability to tear out a page. I think it's a large one, actually.
Moleskines also look better on a shelf. Rhodia seems more practical
for "work related" things, but I'm not expert. And who knows what
Japanese people might mean for "thin paper" or whatever. The paper is
probably exactly the same. If it lies flat, it could maybe compete
with Moleskine, otherwise, that doesn't ever seem the point with the
Rhodia. To me.

n2design

Jun 26, 2007, 7:00:20 PM6/26/07
to Notebookism
I just got an email reply from Exaclair (Rhodia's US distributor)
confirming that the ePure notebooks are not available in the US, (I
suspect because they only come in blank pages) but they will include
it in the 2008 catalogue. They can special order them for people in
the meantime but here's the catch - they will need to order them by
case pack (10) and shipping takes 2-3 months by boat and customs.

- Norman

Padilla

Jun 30, 2007, 11:11:30 AM6/30/07
to Notebookism
I journal out doors in the field and surely would not want a book that
I had to balance on knee, paints in one hand, elbow holding the book
from raising up. This group is filled with good info like that. Glad
I found you.

Padilla, field sketching:
Albuquerque: http://artinstructor.blogspot.com/2007/08/albuquerque-nm.html
Amarillo: http://artinstructor.blogspot.com/2007/06/amarillo-tx.html