Brain Dump

Mr. CaN

Dec 12, 2006, 2:16:19 PM12/12/06
to Notebookism
Does anyone have any hints on keeping a Brain Dump notebook in some
sort of order. What I mean is I tend to have multiple sessions on the
same idea, but days apart and end up with lots of stuff in between them.

Dak

Dec 12, 2006, 2:45:07 PM12/12/06
to Notebookism
I tend to go through my brain dump notebooks once a week or so. I use
those mini post-its, the coloured ones, to mark the first entry that
hasn't been put into a better place where all its friends are and the
latest entry.

I drop my notes into Voodopad once they're all collated.

Maria

Dec 12, 2006, 7:14:10 PM12/12/06
to Notebookism
If what you mean by a "brain dump" is stream-of-consciousness writing,
you might want to try three pages a day, starting in the morning, as
soon as you wake. This method is strongly recommended by those who work
with the book "The Artist's Way". I've found some interesting words
emerging from my mind when I try to write that way. I think it could be
considered a literal "dump" of whatever's in your mind, whether you
know it or not. It's also a great way to immediately get that dream
onto paper. I wish I did it more often, though.

Good luck!

Maria

Mr. CaN

Dec 13, 2006, 10:33:57 AM12/13/06
to Notebookism
Yea, I think my Brain Dump will take a little longer to fill up, I
don't do a complete dump, or dump often enough yet. I decided to try a
index in starting on the last page keeping track of trains of thought.

Vramin

Dec 17, 2006, 10:23:11 PM12/17/06
to Notebookism
Maria wrote:
> If what you mean by a "brain dump" is stream-of-consciousness writing,
> you might want to try three pages a day, starting in the morning, as
> soon as you wake. This method is strongly recommended by those who work
> with the book "The Artist's Way".

Thank you for mentioning this book... I went out and got a copy of it,
and it looks like it's going to be an interesting experience to do the
12 week training course it describes.

Just to be clear, the "brain dump" being discussed here is the one that
David Allen describes in Getting Things Done, where you capture all of
the "open loops" (things that need to be done that are capturing your
energy, or consuming your "psychic ram"). It's a little bit different
animal. I can see that now that I've read the description of the "daily
pages" in The Artist's Way.

The "daily pages" are three pages of free writing you do on a daily
basis to help unblock your creativity. Julia Cameron suggests you not
even reread these until you are 8 weeks into the program, so they don't
quite fit the GTD role.

The "brain dump" is a list made by looking around your environment and
attempting to capture all of the undone stuff that you ought to do to
clear the decks. In this conversation, I think it just refers to
whatever notebook you carry to capture tasks and ideas during your
everyday life, then extract the action items at your next weekly
review.

I've been doing the "daily pages" from The Artist's Way for the past
couple of days (looks like a good way to fill a nice, fat Milquelrius
notebook). A very interesting exercise and certainly worth doing.
Again, thanks for introducing me to this book.