Riak

Tuncer Ayaz

Aug 7, 2009, 8:55:37 PM8/7/09
to nosql-di...@googlegroups.com
The docs are so good that I will keep this
mail short and only point at the site and sources.

http://riak.basho.com/

hg clone http://bitbucket.org/justin/riak/

Kunthar

Aug 8, 2009, 5:43:16 AM8/8/09
to nosql-di...@googlegroups.com
Man this is a real jewel :)
I need to examine code but it seems very promising.

Seth Johnson

Aug 8, 2009, 7:16:25 PM8/8/09
to nosql-di...@googlegroups.com
The docs seem to have been framed almost directly in the terms of the
NoSQL Introduction by Todd Lipcon/Cloudera.

And it looks like an easy thing to play with. I had been thinking
what I should use should be Hypertable, because my context framework
is well suited to something that provides for columns, though I only
need a limited set. But all this CAP and ACID stuff is hard for me to
sort out, so I should perhaps just try this riak thing.

Seth

Aníbal Rojas

Aug 10, 2009, 7:58:45 AM8/10/09
to NOSQL

Since the publication of the first mail of this thread I get>

$ ping riak.basho.com
ping: unknown host riak.basho.com

The information from the Google cache looks good... But the site has
been always down

--
Aníbal Rojas
Ruby on Rails Web Developer

On Aug 9, 6:16 pm, Seth Johnson <seth.p.john...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The docs seem to have been framed almost directly in the terms of the
> NoSQL Introduction by Todd Lipcon/Cloudera.
>
> And it looks like an easy thing to play with.  I had been thinking
> what I should use should be Hypertable, because my context framework
> is well suited to something that provides for columns, though I only
> need a limited set.  But all this CAP and ACID stuff is hard for me to
> sort out, so I should perhaps just try this riak thing.
>
> Seth
>
> On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 5:43 AM, Kunthar<kunt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Man this is a real jewel :)
> > I need to examine code but it seems very promising.

Rob Tweed

Aug 10, 2009, 8:08:40 AM8/10/09
to nosql-di...@googlegroups.com
maybe better stick to a tried and tested NoSQL db then! ;-)

2009/8/10 Aníbal Rojas <aniba...@gmail.com>

--
Rob Tweed
Director

The Pursuit of Productivity : http://www.mgateway.com

Tuncer Ayaz

Aug 10, 2009, 8:09:46 AM8/10/09
to nosql-di...@googlegroups.com
2009/8/10 Aníbal Rojas <aniba...@gmail.com>:

> Since the publication of the first mail of this thread I get>
>
> $ ping riak.basho.com
> ping: unknown host riak.basho.com

The site seems to be hosted on AWS and does not
ICMP echo reply. That looks bad but is not a requirement
for accessing the website.

Try the following for a test:
$ curl --head http://riak.basho.com

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/riak.basho.com

Looks fine, too.

Henry

Aug 10, 2009, 8:07:50 AM8/10/09
to nosql-di...@googlegroups.com
riak.basho.com resolves for me as 174.129.2.201, hosted on Amazon WS.

You might want to check that your dns provider is working correctly., or perhaps there is some problem with load-balancing DNS on Amazon's side.

Henry

Kunthar

Aug 10, 2009, 8:21:02 AM8/10/09
to nosql-di...@googlegroups.com
We always need a fresh ideas better then an old dinosaures :)

Andy Gross

Aug 10, 2009, 11:31:06 AM8/10/09
to nosql-di...@googlegroups.com
Our DNS provider had some busted nameservers when riak.basho.com went live last Friday (great timing).   The problem is fixed but I suspect some caches may still be serving stale NXDOMAIN replies.   We apologize for the inconvenience.

- Andy

Andy Gross <an...@basho.com>
Basho Technologies, Inc.
twitter:  @argv0

Aníbal Rojas

Aug 11, 2009, 7:27:41 AM8/11/09
to NOSQL
Andy,

Yes, it is a DNS issue. Thanks for the information, will switch to
another set of DNS servers.