Rounder Records to Release Amanda Shaw's "Pretty Runs Out" on January 8th

1 view

props4pops

Oct 5, 2007, 9:12:25 AM10/5/07
to nola music announce
Rounder Records to Release Amanda Shaw's "Pretty Runs Out" on January
8th

ALBUM MARKS NATIONAL RECORDING DEBUT OF YOUNG NEW ORLEANS-BASED
FIDDLER, SINGER, BANDLEADER, AND ACTRESS

Burlington, MA - Rounder Records is pleased to announce Amanda Shaw's
debut release, "Pretty Runs Out," in stores on January 8. Shaw is a
dynamic 16-year-old New Orleans-based fiddler, singer, songwriter,
bandleader, and actress whose high-energy rock and roots sound is
attracting an ever-growing audience. A captivating entertainer and
personality, Shaw has emerged as one of the bright young stars of New
Orleans music. She recorded "Pretty Runs Out" at New Orleans' Piety
Street Studio with producer and Rounder VP of A&R Scott Billington.
The album is a mix of original songs and such surprising covers as
Diane Warren's "I Don't Want to Be Your Friend," originally recorded
by Cyndi Lauper. The country-influenced title track was composed by
Shaw and Jim McCormick, and the bluesy "Chirmolito," was inspired by
two Mexican workers who helped rebuild Shaw's Katrina-damaged home and
was co-written with Shannon McNally. The funky original "Brick Wall"
is based on a New Orleans schoolyard taunt.

Shaw has amassed an impressive performing and acting history at a very
young age. She's shared the stage with artists as diverse as Cyndi
Lauper, Charlie Daniels, Delbert McClinton, Allen Toussaint, Arlo
Guthrie, and the New Orleans Symphony Orchestra. Not just a singer/
musician - Shaw has also starred in several movies, including the IMAX
film "Hurricane on the Bayou" (June 2006), which follows the stories
of four musicians (others are Tab Benoit, Allen Toussaint, and Chubby
Carrier) pre- and post-Katrina, and the impact of the hurricane on
Louisiana's wetlands. She had feature roles in two Disney TV movies,
"Stuck in the Suburbs" (2004) and "Now You See It" (2005). Her
television appearances include the Rosie O'Donnell Show (1999 and
2001), Zoom, and Univision's Sabado Gigante. Shaw and her band The
Cute Guys will also be appearing on Emeril Live in early 2008 as the
guest house band, and will perform "Chirmolito" off of "Pretty Runs
Out."

Shaw began playing the violin at age 4, and has been performing
professionally since age 8. Having studied both with classical and
Cajun teachers, she comments, "I'm lucky that I've met so many great
musicians, and that I've gotten really good advice that I've been able
to take." She also has an appreciation for punk and rock sounds,
having recorded a version of the Ramones' "I Wanna Be Your
Girlfriend."

Shaw has been honored with the 2005 Big Easy Award for Best Female
Entertainer and Offbeat's Best Cajun Artist award in 2004. For several
years running she has also been among the top selling artists at the
New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.

- http://www.amandashaw.com/

##