[nokogiri-talk] [java branch] almost finished for the first release

Yoko Harada

Apr 18, 2010, 6:39:41 PM4/18/10
to nokogi...@googlegroups.com
Hi pure Java version watchers,

Nokogiri for pure Java has been almost finished. It has 785 tests,
1687 assertions, 1 failures, 1 errors now. So, I think we are ready
for the first release. Of course, we have a work to merge master to
java branch and fix further failures and errors. However, this will
ended up in fighting against many errors. Currently, pure Java branch
is based on 1.4.0, and the master is 1.4.1. So, we landed to create
new branch for merging master and keep working for the next version.

This situation means that Pat(pmahoney) and I can claim the bounty. :)
I think no other people did relevant commits for pure Java Nokogiri.
Suppose this is true, let me report what ratio is the best. After Pat
and I talked, Pat 80 / Yoko 20, would be the most appropriate split.
This is based on our works done for bug fixing. As I wrote before,
when we switched to his codebase, many many bugs were gone. So, Pat
should take a big portion of the bounty.

Hoping this talk is not done too early.

-Yoko

Yoko Harada

Apr 18, 2010, 8:43:03 PM4/18/10
to nokogi...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Yoko Harada <yok...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi pure Java version watchers,
>
> Nokogiri for pure Java has been almost finished. It has 785 tests,
> 1687 assertions, 1 failures, 1 errors now. So, I think we are ready
> for the first release. Of course, we have a work to merge master to
> java branch and fix further failures and errors. However, this will
> ended up in fighting against many errors. Currently, pure Java branch
> is based on 1.4.0, and the master is 1.4.1. So, we landed to create
> new branch for merging master and keep working for the next version.
>
> This situation means that Pat(pmahoney) and I can claim the bounty. :)
> I think no other people did relevant commits for pure Java Nokogiri.
> Suppose this is true, let me report what ratio is the best. After Pat
> and I talked, Pat 80 / Yoko 20, would be the most appropriate split.
> This is based on our works done for bug fixing. As I wrote before,
> when we switched to his codebase, many many bugs were gone. So, Pat
> should take a big portion of the bounty.

I'm very sorry. Charles also worked to fix bugs in pure Java Nokogiri,
but he said, "I'm one of
the bounteers, I remove myself from the running." I meant, in terms of
the bounty, Pat and I did relevant commits.

-Yoko

trans

Apr 20, 2010, 7:31:16 AM4/20/10
to nokogiri-talk
On Apr 18, 6:39 pm, Yoko Harada <yoko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi pure Java version watchers,
>
> Nokogiri for pure Java has been almost finished. It has 785 tests,
> 1687 assertions, 1 failures, 1 errors now. So, I think we are ready
> for the first release. Of course, we have a work to merge master to
> java branch and fix further failures and errors. However, this will
> ended up in fighting against many errors. Currently, pure Java branch
> is based on 1.4.0, and the master is 1.4.1. So, we landed to create
> new branch for merging master and keep working for the next version.

I am impressed by the speed at which this was accomplished. Awesome
awesome work Yo! ( sorry, couldn't pass up the pun :-)

rogerdpack

Apr 20, 2010, 3:34:13 PM4/20/10
to nokogiri-talk
> This situation means that Pat(pmahoney) and I can claim the bounty. :)
> I think no other people did relevant commits for pure Java Nokogiri.
> Suppose this is true, let me report what ratio is the best. After Pat
> and I talked, Pat 80 / Yoko 20, would be the most appropriate split.
> This is based on our works done for bug fixing. As I wrote before,
> when we switched to his codebase, many many bugs were gone. So, Pat
> should take a big portion of the bounty.

Works for me.

-rp

pmahoney

Apr 22, 2010, 7:48:51 AM4/22/10
to nokogiri-talk

On Apr 20, 1:34 pm, rogerdpack <rogerdp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This situation means that Pat(pmahoney) and I can claim the bounty. :)
>
> Works for me.

Thanks!

Sergio Arbeo

Apr 22, 2010, 7:51:14 AM4/22/10
to nokogi...@googlegroups.com
Paypal accounts?

Cheers,

Sergio

--
http://sergio.arbeo.net
http://www.serabe.com

pmahoney

Apr 22, 2010, 9:01:54 AM4/22/10
to nokogiri-talk

On Apr 22, 5:51 am, Sergio Arbeo <ser...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paypal accounts?

My email, as listed here: http://github.com/pmahoney

Mike Dalessio

Apr 22, 2010, 9:19:03 AM4/22/10
to nokogi...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps the best place to post payment delivery information is on the
ruby bounty page:

http://wiki.github.com/rdp/ruby_bounties/ruby-bounties

Although we're very close, there's still some work to do to merge the
branch back into master, and also come up with a release plan. Does
anyone have an ETA on when the merge might be complete? Aaron, you
mentioned you had a release plan in mind.

Once those tasks done, we should make a big announcement to ruby-talk,
jruby-dev and any other appropriate list announcing the completion and
collection of the bounty, along with release details.

This will serve a couple of functions (in addition to announcing
Nokogiri native java support) which I think everyone agrees are noble
and just:

* Publicize the impending JRuby 1.5.0 drop
* Publicly acknowledge the developers who did the bulk of the work
* Publicize Roger's excellent ruby-bounties project

Cool?

Aaron Patterson

Apr 22, 2010, 11:04:22 AM4/22/10
to nokogi...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 6:19 AM, Mike Dalessio <mike.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps the best place to post payment delivery information is on the
> ruby bounty page:
>
> http://wiki.github.com/rdp/ruby_bounties/ruby-bounties
>
> Although we're very close, there's still some work to do to merge the
> branch back into master, and also come up with a release plan. Does
> anyone have an ETA on when the merge might be complete? Aaron, you
> mentioned you had a release plan in mind.

Gah. Yes, I suck. I'll email the release plan today.

> Once those tasks done, we should make a big announcement to ruby-talk,
> jruby-dev and any other appropriate list announcing the completion and
> collection of the bounty, along with release details.
>
> This will serve a couple of functions (in addition to announcing
> Nokogiri native java support) which I think everyone agrees are noble
> and just:
>
> * Publicize the impending JRuby 1.5.0 drop
> * Publicly acknowledge the developers who did the bulk of the work
> * Publicize Roger's excellent ruby-bounties project
>
> Cool?

This sounds appropriate to me.

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/

pmahoney

Apr 23, 2010, 8:16:50 AM4/23/10
to nokogiri-talk
On Apr 22, 7:19 am, Mike Dalessio <mike.dales...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps the best place to post payment delivery information is on the
> ruby bounty page:
>
> http://wiki.github.com/rdp/ruby_bounties/ruby-bounties

There have been informal discussions here on nokogiri-talk, and nobody
seems to be paying much attention to the bounty page:
http://github.com/rdp/ruby_bounties/issues#issue/2 (which is linked to
from the bounties wiki).

> Although we're very close, there's still some work to do to merge the
> branch back into master, and also come up with a release plan. Does
> anyone have an ETA on when the merge might be complete? Aaron, you
> mentioned you had a release plan in mind.

No ETA. After merging with 'master' from a few days ago, there is
quite a bit more work.

The other suggestions are fine with me.

Mike Dalessio

Apr 23, 2010, 9:29:56 AM4/23/10
to nokogiri-talk
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 8:16 AM, pmahoney <p...@polycrystal.org> wrote:
On Apr 22, 7:19 am, Mike Dalessio <mike.dales...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps the best place to post payment delivery information is on the
> ruby bounty page:
>
> http://wiki.github.com/rdp/ruby_bounties/ruby-bounties

There have been informal discussions here on nokogiri-talk, and nobody
seems to be paying much attention to the bounty page:
http://github.com/rdp/ruby_bounties/issues#issue/2 (which is linked to
from the bounties wiki).

As someone who put down a large bounty, I can tell you that I'll be paying attention to the wiki page. :)

> Although we're very close, there's still some work to do to merge the
> branch back into master, and also come up with a release plan. Does
> anyone have an ETA on when the merge might be complete? Aaron, you
> mentioned you had a release plan in mind.

No ETA.  After merging with 'master' from a few days ago, there is
quite a bit more work.

Ick. Sorry. We've done a lot on the 1.4 series.

The other suggestions are fine with me.

Thanks to you (and everyone else) for all the hard work!

Aaron Patterson

Apr 23, 2010, 11:31:31 AM4/23/10
to nokogi...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Mike Dalessio <mike.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 8:16 AM, pmahoney <p...@polycrystal.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 22, 7:19 am, Mike Dalessio <mike.dales...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Perhaps the best place to post payment delivery information is on the
>> > ruby bounty page:
>> >
>> > http://wiki.github.com/rdp/ruby_bounties/ruby-bounties
>>
>> There have been informal discussions here on nokogiri-talk, and nobody
>> seems to be paying much attention to the bounty page:
>> http://github.com/rdp/ruby_bounties/issues#issue/2 (which is linked to
>> from the bounties wiki).
>
> As someone who put down a large bounty, I can tell you that I'll be paying
> attention to the wiki page. :)

I am in the same boat. :-D

>> > Although we're very close, there's still some work to do to merge the
>> > branch back into master, and also come up with a release plan. Does
>> > anyone have an ETA on when the merge might be complete? Aaron, you
>> > mentioned you had a release plan in mind.
>>
>> No ETA.  After merging with 'master' from a few days ago, there is
>> quite a bit more work.
>
> Ick. Sorry. We've done a lot on the 1.4 series.
>

>> The other suggestions are fine with me.
>>

> Thanks to you (and everyone else) for all the hard work!

+1. We really appreciate the time everyone has put in to the Java port.

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/