New User Question - can't find module error

SteveCronin

Aug 31, 2011, 1:22:44 PM8/31/11
to nodejs
Hello Folks!

Just joined - I'm a Mac user and have been dinking with node.js
(0.4.11) for ~ a day..

I have it installed and just root installed using npm 'node-ffi'
I now see node-ffi at /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-
ffi

.bashrc looks like: export NODE_PATH="/usr/lib/node_modules:/Users/
steve/Documents/Node"

I also am using 'NodObjC'.

I've written a proof-of-understanding script which calls into NodObjC
but I'm getting this error:

node.js:134
throw e; // process.nextTick error, or 'error' event on first
tick
^
Error: Cannot find module 'node-ffi'
at Function._resolveFilename (module.js:317:11)
at Function._load (module.js:262:25)
at require (module.js:346:19)
at Object.<anonymous> (/Users/steve/Documents/Node/NodObjC/core.js:
6:11)
at Module._compile (module.js:402:26)
at Object..js (module.js:408:10)
at Module.load (module.js:334:31)
at Function._load (module.js:293:12)
at require (module.js:346:19)
at Object.<anonymous> (/Users/steve/Documents/Node/NodObjC/
import.js:7:12)

What am I missing here?
Steve

Nathan Rajlich

Aug 31, 2011, 7:17:05 PM8/31/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hey there Steve,

NodObjC is still very much under development, and the initial setup is
not very streamlined at this point. If you come over to #nodobjc on
the Freenode IRC servers then I can help walk you through what you
need to do to setup.

(That goes for everyone out there too, I've registered #nodobjc so
head over there if you wanna talk NodeJS + Cocoa)

> --
> Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Isaac Schlueter

Sep 1, 2011, 12:45:22 AM9/1/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 10:22 AM, SteveCronin <steve.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Folks!
>>
>> Just joined - I'm a Mac user and have been dinking with node.js
>> (0.4.11) for ~ a day..

Welcome!

This doc may also be handy:
http://nodejs.org/docs/v0.4.10/api/modules.html

The typically pattern is:

git clone git://github.com/some/node-project.git
cd node-project
npm install
(do stuff)

Assuming that the author included a package.json that lists the
dependencies, then that should put you in a state where you can start
running stuff.

Charlie McConnell

Sep 1, 2011, 12:59:01 AM9/1/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
You should also check out http://docs.nodejitsu.com, in particular http://docs.nodejitsu.com/articles/getting-started/what-is-require. There aren't docs about NodObjC there at the moment, but hopefully it can be a useful resource for you as you get started.
Charlie McConnell
Support Engineer
Nodejitsu, Inc.