Node v0.6.3 (stable)

Message has been deleted

Bert Belder

Nov 25, 2011, 6:07:58 AM11/25/11
to nodejs
2011.11.25, Version 0.6.3 (stable)

* #2083 Land NPM in Node. It is included in packages/installers and
installed on `make install`.

* #2076 Add logos to windows installer.

* #1711 Correctly handle http requests without headers. (Ben
Noordhuis, Felix Geisendörfer)

* TLS: expose more openssl SSL context options and constants. (Ben
Noordhuis)

* #2177 Windows: don't kill UDP socket when a packet fails to reach
its destination. (Bert Belder)

* Windows: support paths longer than 260 characters. (Igor Zinkovsky)

* Windows: correctly resolve drive-relative paths. (Bert Belder)

* #2166 Don't leave file descriptor open after lchmod. (Isaac
Schlueter)

* #2084 Add OS X .pkg build script to make file.

* #2160 Documentation improvements. (Ben Noordhuis)

Source Code: http://nodejs.org/dist/v0.6.3/node-v0.6.3.tar.gz

Windows Installer: http://nodejs.org/dist/v0.6.3/node-v0.6.3.msi

Macintosh Installer: http://nodejs.org/dist/v0.6.3/node-v0.6.3.pkg

Website: http://nodejs.org/docs/v0.6.3/

Documentation: http://nodejs.org/docs/v0.6.3/api/

Diogo Resende

Nov 25, 2011, 6:11:38 AM11/25/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 03:07:58 -0800 (PST), Bert Belder wrote:
> 2011.11.25, Version 0.6.3 (stable)
>
> * #2083 Land NPM in Node. It is included in packages/installers and
> installed on `make install`.

OS-X? Linux? Windows? All?

---
Diogo R.

Ben Hughes

Nov 25, 2011, 6:19:54 AM11/25/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
npm seems to be part of the windows msi, but the man pages aren't so
it often errors out:

npm ERR! System Windows_NT 6.1.7601
npm ERR! command "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\nodejs\\\\node.exe"
"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\nodejs\\node_modules\\npm\\bin\\npm-cli.js"
"help"
npm ERR! cwd C:\Program Files\Console2
npm ERR! node -v v0.6.3
npm ERR! npm -v 1.1.0-alpha-2
npm ERR! path C:\Program Files (x86)\nodejs\node_modules\npm\man\man1
npm ERR! code ENOENT
npm ERR! message ENOENT, no such file or directory 'C:\Program Files
(x86)\nodejs\node_modules\npm\man\man1'

However, npm install seems to work :D

Ben

> --
> Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
> For more options, visit this group at

Egor Egorov

Nov 25, 2011, 7:56:53 AM11/25/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
$ ./configure
$ make;  sudo make install
$ npm
npm ERR! Error: ENOENT, no such file or directory '/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/man/man1/'
npm ERR! Report this *entire* log at:
npm ERR! or email it to:
npm ERR!     <npm- @googlegroups.com>
npm ERR!
npm ERR! System Linux 3.0.0-12-virtual
npm ERR! command "node" "/usr/local/bin/npm"
npm ERR! cwd /home/egor/node-v0.6.3
npm ERR! node -v v0.6.3
npm ERR! npm -v 1.1.0-alpha-2
npm ERR! path /usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/man/man1/
npm ERR! code ENOENT
npm ERR! message ENOENT, no such file or directory '/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/man/man1/'
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Additional logging details can be found in:
npm ERR!     /home/egor/node-v0.6.3/npm-debug.log
npm not ok

Just a fresh ubuntu 11.04. npm was carefully removed before installing 0.6.3.

Bert Belder

Nov 25, 2011, 7:57:58 AM11/25/11
to nodejs

That's not good. It seems we'll have to do a 0.6.4 soon.

Hyacinthus Chu

Nov 25, 2011, 6:15:49 AM11/25/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
All environments including linux, windows and Macintosh.

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Nicolas Chambrier

Nov 25, 2011, 8:22:58 AM11/25/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
If there is an existing version of npm installed (if I maintain mine up to date already for example), does it just skip this install or overwrite the existing one ?

Diogo Resende

Nov 25, 2011, 8:48:47 AM11/25/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
It works for me - Ubuntu 11.10

---
Diogo R.

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 04:56:53 -0800 (PST), Egor Egorov wrote:
> $ ./configure
> $ make; sudo make install
> $ npm
> npm ERR! Error: ENOENT, no such file or directory
> '/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/man/man1/'
>
> npm ERR! Report this *entire* log at:
> npm ERR!

> npm ERR! or email it to:
> npm ERR!

> npm ERR!
> npm ERR! System Linux 3.0.0-12-virtual
> npm ERR! command "node" "/usr/local/bin/npm"
> npm ERR! cwd /home/egor/node-v0.6.3
> npm ERR! node -v v0.6.3
> npm ERR! npm -v 1.1.0-alpha-2
> npm ERR! path /usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/man/man1/
> npm ERR! code ENOENT
> npm ERR! message ENOENT, no such file or directory
> '/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/man/man1/'
> npm ERR!
> npm ERR! Additional logging details can be found in:
> npm ERR! /home/egor/node-v0.6.3/npm-debug.log
> npm not ok
>
> Just a fresh ubuntu 11.04. npm was carefully removed before
> installing
> 0.6.3.
>

> --
> Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/ [1]
> Groups "nodejs" group.

> nodejs+un...@googlegroups.com

> For more options, visit this group at

> http://groups.google.com/group/nodejs?hl=en?hl=en [3]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://jobs.nodejs.org/
> [2]
> [3] http://groups.google.com/group/nodejs?hl=en?hl=en

Sérgio Ramos

Nov 25, 2011, 10:25:45 AM11/25/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Same thing for Mac OS X

npm ERR! Error: ENOENT, no such file or directory '/usr/local/nvm/v0.6.3/lib/node_modules/npm/man/man1/'
npm ERR! Report this *entire* log at:
npm ERR! or email it to:
npm ERR!     <np...@googlegroups.com>
npm ERR!
npm ERR! System Darwin 10.8.0
npm ERR! command "node" "/usr/local/nvm/v0.6.3/bin/npm"
npm ERR! cwd /Users/ramitos
npm ERR! node -v v0.6.3
npm ERR! npm -v 1.1.0-alpha-2
npm ERR! path /usr/local/nvm/v0.6.3/lib/node_modules/npm/man/man1/
npm ERR! code ENOENT
npm ERR! message ENOENT, no such file or directory '/usr/local/nvm/v0.6.3/lib/node_modules/npm/man/man1/'
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Additional logging details can be found in:
npm ERR!     /Users/ramitos/npm-debug.log
npm not ok

billywhizz

Nov 25, 2011, 11:51:12 AM11/25/11
to nodejs
if i don't want to use npm do i have the option of not installing it.
i happen not to like npm and am a bit bemused by it's inclusion in
core...

Diogo Resende

Nov 25, 2011, 11:55:40 AM11/25/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 08:51:12 -0800 (PST), billywhizz wrote:
> if i don't want to use npm do i have the option of not installing it.
> i happen not to like npm and am a bit bemused by it's inclusion in
> core...

For me it's a blessing having npm included, although is really easy to
install (not sure on Windows). But I agree with you. For people
fetching
the source and compiling, a "make npm-install" might be a good idea.

---
Diogo R.

mscdex

Nov 25, 2011, 12:05:50 PM11/25/11
to nodejs
On Nov 25, 11:55 am, Diogo Resende <drese...@thinkdigital.pt> wrote:
> For me it's a blessing having npm included, although is really easy to
> install (not sure on Windows). But I agree with you. For people
> fetching
> the source and compiling, a "make npm-install" might be a good idea.

+1

billywhizz

Nov 25, 2011, 1:28:10 PM11/25/11
to nodejs
+1 for this from me too. it should be optional if it's not already...

Philipp Klose

Nov 25, 2011, 3:43:53 PM11/25/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
There MUST be a way to compile and install node without being forced to
install npm!

Liam

Nov 25, 2011, 4:11:00 PM11/25/11
to nodejs
I think I'm glad of being "forced" to try npm, as I gather I should be
using it but haven't really had a need for it.

However I'm surprised this idea wasn't floated on the list first, and
was landed in a bug-fix update. Were there compelling reasons to do it
right this minute?

Marco Rogers

Ryan Breen

Nov 25, 2011, 8:31:24 PM11/25/11
to nodejs
Agreed. It's not like npm dramatically increases the installation
footprint if you opt not to use it.

Jake Verbaten

Nov 25, 2011, 8:37:33 PM11/25/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I agree that npm being in node installer is great.

NPM will now be on all servers running node by default.

However it might be friendly to have some way of opting out of installing npm when you build the project.

Martin Cooper

Nov 25, 2011, 8:57:09 PM11/25/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Marco Rogers <marco....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why would anyone have a problem with including npm? It's completely
> decoupled from node and doesn't change it at all. It's a tool that's
> available that you can use or not. Most people use and like it. There's no
> reason not to include it in a bug fix release because it doesn't introduce
> any meaningful change in node itself. npm is the defacto standard and
> recommended package manager for node. It makes sense to include it with
> node's "everything you need" install. Maybe it's a good idea to add a
> "without-npm" flag or something for people compiling from source who really
> don't want it.

For those of us who have a customised version of npm in use
internally, there is some additional risk of confusion when a version
comes built into Node, and that version doesn't have the same
functionality as the customised one. One more troubleshooting /
support step that I'd rather do without. I don't expect it will be a
big issue, but you did ask why. :-)

--
Martin Cooper

> :Marco
> On Friday, November 25, 2011 1:11:00 PM UTC-8, Liam wrote:
>>
>> I think I'm glad of being "forced" to try npm, as I gather I should be
>> using it but haven't really had a need for it.
>>
>> However I'm surprised this idea wasn't floated on the list first, and
>> was landed in a bug-fix update. Were there compelling reasons to do it
>> right this minute?
>>
>> On Nov 25, 8:51 am, billywhizz <apjo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > if i don't want to use npm do i have the option of not installing it.
>> > i happen not to like npm and am a bit bemused by it's inclusion in
>> > core...
>

> --
> Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Ryan Schmidt

Nov 26, 2011, 12:14:09 AM11/26/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com

On Nov 25, 2011, at 19:26, Marco Rogers wrote:

> Why would anyone have a problem with including npm?

I assume npm has its own release schedule, and that new versions of npm might be released independently of new versions of node. Speaking on behalf of the MacPorts package management system (and perhaps maintainers of other package management systems will have similar feelings), we have separate ports for node and npm, and if my independent release schedule theory is correct, then we should probably keep it that way. That means we need the node port to install only node, not also npm. We've patched the source for 0.6.3 to not install npm and would appreciate a flag or target we can use in the future to avoid having to do that.

Liam

Nov 26, 2011, 3:54:16 AM11/26/11
to nodejs

On Nov 25, 5:26 pm, Marco Rogers <marco.rog...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's no reason not to include it in a bug fix release

It's widely expected that significant new functionality in the package
will be announced before it lands, and that's good policy. The only
announcement I saw was a tweet referencing a commit, which I assumed
was to 0.7pre.

Ben Noordhuis

Nov 26, 2011, 10:17:38 AM11/26/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com

I can see why a 'no npm' install target is important to package
maintainers. We'll add it in the next release.

billywhizz

Nov 27, 2011, 12:07:39 PM11/27/11
to nodejs
that would be great ben. thanks.

Brandon Benvie

Nov 27, 2011, 6:05:53 PM11/27/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, November 25, 2011 8:26:57 PM UTC-5, Marco Rogers wrote:
npm is the defacto standard and recommended package manager for node.

Correction: it is now the de jure standard. Not that much has changed because it was very nearly so before, but it's official now.